How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-08-2005
backstage pass

Tech Talk for Pro Photographers: Gear, Lighting, Resources, Etc. See Post#1.
Moderator's Note:

This thread is to discuss cameras, gear, lighting and resources for professional photographers. If you are contemplating the purchase or upgrading of professional gear, this is the thread.

To discuss shooting techniques, how to get certain effects and tricks of the trade, go here : Discussion: Shooting & Retouching Techniques for Professional Photographers

To talk about digital cameras for consumer or personal use, go here, in the More Accessories forum: Best Digital Camera

To find out which cameras some of the famous pros use ... you can see Photographers and their Cameras in the Behind the Lens forum ... which is not intended as a discussion about what will work for you ... it's strictly about who is using what gear.

Can anyone into photography help me please? I'm looking to buy a camera and don't really know where to start. I already have a very good 35mm camera but should I be looking at a medium format instead as the images would need to be able to be printed at least 8x10?

If I intend to shoot indoors and on location, what would be the best model and what other bits of kit are essential? (taking into account I don't have much to spend!)

Hope someone can help, I have tried looking up other websites but it's really confusing as I don't have any clue where to start and want to learn from scratch - I'd appreciate any gems of wisdom anyone can offer me!

Last edited by BetteT; 06-10-2011 at 09:10 PM.

04-08-2005
front row

With medium and large format, you're going to get much better quality when you enlarge negatives. I shoot medium format and love it. I have 30x40 prints that are basically grainless - it's beautiful. I shoot with a Mamiya RZ which is great, but a bit bulky for handheld.. I don't know when was the last time I shot without a tripod (so invest in a good one: Bogen). Mamiya (popular brand) offers different sizes and capabilities so check out a store and their gear to see what fits you best.

Last edited by pamelaz; 04-08-2005 at 09:04 PM.
05-08-2005
backstage pass

Thanks Pamela! I'll definitely look into those suggestions now....

ps. Did you just have a shoot in LaG Mag? Great Stuff!!

05-08-2005
front row

Yes, I did.

I have 3 more magazines coming out in September/October.. I'm going to try to post some tears in the "Lookbook" section once I get them.

backstage pass

They emailed me the link to the latest issue and I recognized your name! It's good to hear you have more published stuff coming out, I'm sure it will do you a lot of good! Looking forward to seeing the tears

06-08-2005
Diamond

I usually shoot with a medium format Hasselblad V System. It's the best (medium format) camera in my opinion. But almost as important as the camera is the film. I recommend Ilford for B&W and Fuji for color.

For large format work, I use an Arca-Swiss F series. Large format can be tricky but very rewarding once you get the hang of it. Polaroid 55 film is highly recommended especially for beginners.

~Madeleine Albright
06-08-2005
front row

Why not go digital?

Something like the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II is plenty enough resolution (16mp) for 8x10 (hell, 24x36 is clear with no grain), or even the Canon 20D at 8.2 mp would do the job for you. The Canon L system of lenses is unbeatable for the price right now. I can crop my 8mp images down to about 4 and still have crystal clear 8x10 and 11x14. Find a good printer!

A great story here.. about why he went from a Hasselblad digital back to a Canon digital:

13-08-2005
FC5
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Bruce
Why not go digital? Something like the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II
I'd certainly agree with going digital, but not necessarily straight into a 1Ds MKII - a very nice camera but probably overkill here.

For less money you could pick up something like a Nikon D70s or Canon EOS 350D kit AND a good S/H medium format camera kit of body, couple of lenses and backs (Mamyia, Bronica).

16-08-2005
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Bruce
Why not go digital?
I can only speak for myself here but for me it's about purity. Digital photography is too sterile, too easy. I find a certain Zen in loading film, anticipating development, the dark room, etc. Photography isn't just about taking pictures and getting good results; photography is about the experience. Obviously, digital has its advantages - economical, fast, guaranteed results - and I understand why a professional/commercial photographer would chose digital. But for me, photography is a passion, a hobby, and I'm in it for the process

~Madeleine Albright
16-08-2005
V.I.P.

Source : jeancoutu.com

^ I want to buy this camera..... Is it good? It's very cheap...... But what does 0.1 MP means.... and compact?! Will the pics be good?

16-08-2005
V.I.P.

Kimkhuu, I don't think that is a good camera. Looks like you can't take pictures from far distances...the zoom looks too small. 0.1MP is too small. If you want a camera, look for at least a 3MP (mega pixels). The price is good.

16-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipkitten
I can only speak for myself here but for me it's about purity. Digital photography is too sterile, too easy. I find a certain Zen in loading film, anticipating development, the dark room, etc. Photography isn't just about taking pictures and getting good results; photography is about the experience. Obviously, digital has its advantages - economical, fast, guaranteed results - and I understand why a professional/commercial photographer would chose digital. But for me, photography is a passion, a hobby, and I'm in it for the process
I completely agree. I am a professional/commercial photographer but I still would choose the film experience anyday. Besides the emotional attachment the quality with shooting 120 film beats a DSLR anyday (hands down). The only way I would ever think about shooting digital is maybe a medium format digital back but I would still have my film days.

backstage pass

thanks a lot for all the opinions! but I'm more confused than ever now! I think I should maybe try to learn a bit about it all before I jump in. This might sound stupid, but if I want to take good daylight photos that have a beautiful feeling to them, would I need flash? If I shoot simply without flash will they have a flat, too-realistic look?

16-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilista
thanks a lot for all the opinions! but I'm more confused than ever now! I think I should maybe try to learn a bit about it all before I jump in. This might sound stupid, but if I want to take good daylight photos that have a beautiful feeling to them, would I need flash? If I shoot simply without flash will they have a flat, too-realistic look?
I'd mix natural light with the flash.. it will make for a beautiful effect.

Seductress in Eden

Photographers- Digi cameras
I have a question for the photographers. What digital camera takes the best photos? Like what camera makes you look good i hope this isnt a stupid question. I need to get a new digi camera but dont want ugly photos. thanks

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
gear, lighting, photographers, post#1, pro, resources, talk, tech