How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-01-2007
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
maybe we need another thread about putting together a strong portfolio?...
maybe separate threads for hair and make up and photogs and stylists and models...

they are all different....
They are all different... However, a book is a book. Its all about intrigue and impact. Drawing in the client. Gettin that J.O.B.

The main difference is that models should let their agents worry about it
Actually, we all should. It can be difficult to be objective.

08-01-2007
flaunt the imperfection..

well then i hope you can find yourself a good agent...

08-01-2007
front row

Quote:
Well, what I say here is only what I've learned that seems to work where I am ... in Los Angeles and is specific to fashion, editorial and commercial photography.
Perfect for me since I'm in LA as well! You don't know HOW helpful this information is for me, and others I'm sure; I was just going to stick the pictures in a binder with slip covers *slaps self in the head*

10-01-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT
Well, there you go, anaisanais or anyone else in NY ... especially if you are a fashion stylist.. This is a place to start ... check out his work, PM each other and see if you can work something out.

We welcome offers to test in this forum ... perferct place for it.

Just be careful about jumping into working with strangers ... be smart, meet in public first ... take a friend ... protect yourself.
^Only problem is - I live in Australia!

10-01-2007
backstage pass

Great information, I'm a budding photographer and all of this really help.

Thanks a lot to everyone who's contributed!

front row

Hi ladies and gents!

I've been super busy but I'd did manage to get a post up on my website, Stylebites, about this very issue.

I second what BetteT is saying. I don't think that a standard size portfolio is neccessary, as long as what you have looks nice and says something about your work. If you're artistically inclined (as you probably are if you're a stylist of any sort) then you might create something super spectacular with an industrial artist friend. I've been wanting to do something super minimalist with thin, brushed wood covers and a special binding... As long as it doesn't look like a scrapbook cover. You don't want anything busy. The pictures should do the talking.

Read more about it here.

Good luck to everyone working on their first book!

13-02-2007
V.I.P.

Does one need a portfolio to apply for an internship or apprenticeship for a stylist?

I'm a college student. I don't know any photographers or models. I don't have any connections.

15-02-2007
V.I.P.

Not really:

An intern or assistant only does grunt work, anyway (running errands, steaming clothing, light sewing, carrying wardrobe around, keeping things organized, etc.) So they just need to show that they are prepared to work hard ... it's really physical work. The creative work will still be done by the stylist. I know that a portfolio is not important to me for someone to assist.

However, if you are at the level that you might want to assist (paid) agency stylists from time to time ... the agency will expect you to have some real experience under your belt and will want to see a developed portfolio (probably with tear sheets and some client work in it).

Last edited by BetteT; 15-02-2007 at 12:01 PM.
20-02-2007
about to fall or fly

oh this is good! i'm a photographer and i'm planning a trip to nyc in april to meet with some editors etc. and this is really good advice. i need to put together a really, really nice book of my work and i've been gathering ideas. this is a great resource!

flaunt the imperfection..

i second what bette says...
assistants don't usually have books yet and interns certainly don't...
but working as an asst or intern is a great way to start to make those connections that will get you started doing tests and putting together your first shoots...

ie- approach the photo assts on set to see if they are interested in testing...
i've even had models offer to test with me when i was an asst just becuase they lked me and thought i knew what i was doing i guess...

i did a test with heidi klum back when i was an asst...
she was on the job and me and the photo asst did some pictures with her because she wanted some more editorial shots for her book...
it was totally fun!...

good luck and enjoy yourself...!!..xx
remember--it's still an amazing job --no matter how much hard work it is!!!

13-03-2007
windowshopping

a very nice book for portfolio, NYC
Hello,

I am looking for a nice new book for my portfolio 11x14 in NYC but I am so dissapointed, no book really attracts me....
Can you help? Where can I buy a niceeeeee book?

Thank you

Linda

Last edited by BetteT; 14-03-2007 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Merged with existing thread.
13-03-2007
windowshopping

House of Portfolios on 21 street, same as Brewer Cantelmo but quite a bit cheaper. Talk to them and see what you can come up with.

I got tired of the basic books had a girlfriend who used to teach bookbinding teach me how to make portfolios. $30 dollars in supplies and I now have photo editors commenting how nice my book matches my photography.

13-03-2007
scenester

Also there's Lost Luggage. www.lost-luggage.com That's where I got my book. They're expensive but imo well worth it.

Good luck!

14-03-2007
windowshopping

Thanks guys. I actually looked at the www for House of portfolios....but so bad....hopefully when I come inside would be better.
I was also thinking of doing my own book. I did one for school before, so it shouldn't be so difficult...

Also I check out 3w.lost luggage.com

14-03-2007
windowshopping

one other choice would be to go to the www.centerforbookarts.org I believe that they are on 27th street and will be able to help you find a person to make what you have in mind. I did this about 5 years ago, and I would hook you up with the person I used but she moved back to Japan.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
artists, freelance, hair or makeup, portfolio, stylists, testing