How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-03-2007
windowshopping

Brewer Cantelmo ...I went there...omg! the guy couldn't find the examples of portfolios I was looking for...
House of portfolios...the binding part in the middle of metal portfolios looked really bad done...
LESider, can you navigate me for hand made portfolio? I would be really grateful. The one for school looked a bit amateur though

Thx

14-03-2007
V.I.P.

Linda,

Check back in this thread, post #9 where I posted a few links (before I merged the two threads). One of them does amazing custom work .. I think it's nabookarts.com.

14-03-2007
windowshopping

Nicole Anderson does really beautiful work and if you only need one book then its definatly worth the money. I need at least 5 books and really couldn't afford her.
I would go down to the center for book arts on 27th and talk to who ever is working there and see what they can do. There are some really talented people there and you wont get a run of the mill House of Portfolio book.

16-03-2007
front row

The lost luggage ones are cute, a bit generic but cute. One of the artists I rep did some really cute slip covers out of fabric and leather to update her old books. They look really put together. The BIGGEST thing about a book for me is that it should be neat. Before it's graphically interesting, it must be clean, the pages should be clear (not muddy and dusty) and the ARRANGEMENT of the photos is very important. There must be flow. I take into account the contents of the book before I put into consideration the personality of the actual porftolio book.

On a young artist I would prefer to see a generic black leather book with your name embossed on it, than a poorly executed quirky book.

25-05-2007
trendsetter

thank you softgrey for the info about allbrightnyc.com ....it will be very useful for me...i have a question (for anyone who can help me) if u are interested in any agency to see your work,you just make an appoinment?....is there any styling advise consultant?...im talking in NYC....thanks

17-06-2007
windowshopping

Regarding books...
I've done many tests so far and I'm quite happy because I realize now that I have an actual body of work. There are even more photos I'm waiting for...

Anyhow-I've read somewhere on this thread that 15 pages is a good starting amount. I've this amount, maybe a lil' more. Now, my mission is to get them printed (so far they are up on network site) and get them into a nice book.

I hear that a personalized book is nice with name engraved such as pleather. But I read somewhere that the work should reflect the showiness of your book...does that make sense?

In conclusion, I would like to know of a real good place to get a book in NY and in LA. I'll be going there soon. Thanks all!

26-06-2007
windowshopping

Just wondering if there was anyone still hanging around this thread and if they had answers to my previous post above. Thanks.

01-07-2007
rising star

I'm hanging around this thread and I have a few questions of my own. Are you asking about where to get your pictures printed up? I just discovered this place, reccomended by a photog friend of mine in Boston, and I am quite impressed: http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?ac.u...o.CompStoreLoc
They linked me to this place that also impressed me: (LA/ W.coast): http://www.westcoastimaging.com/

My questions:
Question 1:
I just got back photos from a test w/ the photog and a male model. The male model was pretty scraggly and unshaven, the makeup artist slacked and didnt powder him, etc. And I assumed the photographer would take care of this in the retouch process, but he didnt. The "finished" photos look the same as the proofs, w/ none of this corrected. I'd like to use some shots for my book if I can get this fixed.

So question: can I find a professional retoucher to retouch the photos? Is that allowed/ accepted, in terms of copyright? Should I go back to the photog and ask? Any suggestions for how to handle this?

Question 2:
What is an acceptable amount of time for a photographer to take to turnaround the film to you, or to at least show me some proofs?

01-07-2007
rising star

On Q #1, the copyright agreement doesnt mention retouching or altering; it just talks about the spec's of the watermark.

01-07-2007
V.I.P.

Actually, you need specific written permission to alter the image in any way. the copyright is the photographers and the images belong to him. I"m not saying it isn't done ... but if you value your relationship with the photographer or might use him for referrals, it's probably best to at least ask him for permission.

28-07-2007
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reetaree View Post
In conclusion, I would like to know of a real good place to get a book in NY and in LA. I'll be going there soon. Thanks all!
House of Portfolio in NYC

01-08-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
House of Portfolio in NYC
I am in LA and found that there is a House of Portfoilios office here. As a young stylist-would just a wax skin book with name embossed be okay?

The leather books are out of my price range...

Oh and would anyone know where to get photos printed in LA? Good quality prints for good rates.

01-08-2007
windowshopping

I've called around to a few places about digital prints.

It appears that the industry going rate for a print is 20 dollars. One place even quoted 28 dollars. This seems a bit on the high end.

I will need digital prints for my book-I'd like to know if you would know a place that's affordable in the Los Angeles area. And also in the NY area since many of us in this forum are from there as well. Thanks

01-08-2007
V.I.P.

Lots of people use the wax skin and, as I understand it, it looks a good as leather and stands up well to wear and tear. So, I think that is a good alternative.

Believe it or not, Kinkos usually does a good job. And Costco, I've heard is also good, at least some of their stores. But, neither of them have 9X12 paper which is considered a custom size. So what some of us do is put 2 9x12 images side by side ... making an 18x12 print (which they do have) and then cut the image in half, with a good paper cutter.

Now for a photographer's book, these are sometimes not good enough ... if the photographer is super fussy about quality ... so they go to pro photo shops like Samys, A1, Bel-Air, etc. but that can cost around $25 a print or more. I think that quality of the printing is not quite as important in our books and then once you place them behind the sleeve, you really can't tell that one print is better than the other ... they'd have to take them out of your book and compare them side by side ... which won't happen with a stylists book.

One snag ... you might be asked for a release from the photographer, since he owns the copyrights. So I cheat a little, if the photographer really is allowing me to copy for my book, but didn't give me a written release ... I just say I'm the photographer if asked but I don't volunteer anything unless asked. Sometimes they just have you sign a waiver that says you have permission to copy ... and as long as you do, that's not a problem. But, always make sure that the photographer understands that you intend to copy the images for your book and is OK with that.

01-08-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Believe it or not, Kinkos usually does a good job. And Costco, I've heard is also good, at least some of their stores. But, neither of them have 9X12 paper which is considered a custom size. So what some of us do is put 2 9x12 images side by side ... making an 18x12 print (which they do have) and then cut the image in half, with a good paper cutter.
Thanks BetteT for all your valuable info.

I plan on getting a 11x14 book. Now-should the prints be blown up to fit this size? I've read earlier in this thread, that you posted, that it should fit the entire sleeve. However, I've seen other people's books where it wasn't all the time. Is there one rule? Or could I print out 9x12 and arrange it evenly and nicely in each sleeve?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
artists, freelance, hair or makeup, portfolio, stylists, testing