How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-08-2008
front row

Question..

Is it possible to have a portfolio that is taken seriously with no tears, but professional looking photographs in it? I interned for a modeling agency over the summer and styled their photo shoots, in turn I can use all the photos with a styling credit.

Thanks in advance!

-Lauren

18-08-2008
fashion insider

I have everything totally prepared. My theme, hair, makeup, clothing, accessories, photographer and location. But I cannot seem to find the right girl. Taryn volunteered to help me, but then she got really busy in NY. What should I do?

18-08-2008
V.I.P.

Tears are important, but are not always necessary ... depends on the client and whether or not they think they are necessary. You can only use what you have done ... and it takes a few years to get a fully filled out portfolio anyway. It's a long process and can't be rushed.

As far as models for tests/creatives go ... based solely on my experience, a good photogrpaher should be able to set an appointment with any good agency, show his book and get a list of a few new faces who need to test. And sometimes, he might get lucky, if the agency likes his work a lot, and get an experienced girl who needs to work on her portfolio, which is even better. However, for tests ... the model is very likely to get pulled last minute for a casting or a job ... but they will usually offer someone else. It's always hit and miss ... but paid work always comes first. I never count on a test until it's done .... too many things can happen to delay the test and it happens all the time.

18-08-2008
windowshopping

Hi Bette,

Thank you for the advice always a big help!

18-08-2008
fashion insider

Can I waltz into an agency and see if any models are available?

18-08-2008
V.I.P.

You should always call ahead to set an appointment to show your book ... if you are a photographer. They will not release models to just anyone ... your work has to be up to their standards and that varies from agency to agency. They know that a good photographer will only work with a good team ... so they trust him to pull together the right people for the test.

If you are not a photographer they probably won't see you because they want to meet the peson who is shooting the photos and see their work ... but ask them if they will see you anyway, because you never know. They will still ask you who your photographer is and will want to see his work anyway. So that is why photographers usually have the job of booking models for tests.

19-08-2008
fashion insider

That is very true bette I've never looked at it that way. I'll have to speak to my photographer.

21-01-2010
backstage pass

any suggestions on how to put together a team for testing (or is there a nice NYC networking thread here anywhere?? can't find one!) when you don't have many contacts in the fashion world yet??? i'm a young photographer working on her port/book -- i have tons of music / doc shots but so few constructed fashion shoots that i definitely don't even have a book to show an agency to ask to test yet -- and have no idea where to even start finding people, and have had basically no luck with craiglist and model mayhem.

22-01-2010
backstage pass

what do you mean--are you trying to do fashion shoots but have no models/hair/makeup/stylists for them? maybe try local school that offer styling or makeup programs because there will be lots of students who are also trying to build their portfolio ie. you get to work together for free, on the condition that everyone is free to take the resulting shots to add to their portfolio. i've done a bit of styling work if you want to get together and do a shoot, as i'm also in need of more styling pieces to add to my own portfolio (am trying to break into the fashion publication biz)! i'll be in NYC Feb 9-14

good luck!!!

V.I.P.

There is a networking thread pinned at the top of Behind The Lens ... where photographers, stylists, makeup artists may network for tests (not models, however). It's not for rank beginners, however ... you need to be able to post some of your work so others can see your level of acheivement and decide if they think you would have something to ad to their portfolio. Be sure to read the first post with instructions about what to post in that thread.

I agree about craigs list, model mayhem and other sites like those. If you dig deep enough you might find a few gems, but the majority are just amateurs and mostly very poor ones but, there are a few exceptions. And the models ... oh dear! Most of them are under 5'7" and are not suitable for fashion at all ... only glamour.

So ... octopi is offering a good suggestion ... schools are sometimes a good source. For stylists, consider fashion schools ... maybe work with a few talented students to photopgraph their creations ... they'd love that.

And yes, make sure you work it all out in advance about how and when images will be delivered to them, how many they get, who choses the images they get, whether or not you will retouch them and how the may use them (usually only for self promo ... portfolios, comp cards, etc.). Get all that laid out in writing, in advance ... so there will be no surprises for anyone and that you can deliver what you promise.

Last edited by BetteT; 07-08-2010 at 04:35 PM.
04-06-2010
windowshopping

Does anyone have tips on how a photographer's portfolio should be? I see alot of advice for stylists!

Also, if we have prints 11x14, should we not have borders at all? and what kind of paper should we print our works on? Is there any kind of portfolio that doesn't have sleeves? I find that sleeves disconnects the viewer's tactile sense alittle?

05-06-2010
V.I.P.

Photographers usually have the larger portfolios ... 11X14. Althought I've seen lots of customized ones in various sizes, including mini portfolios for certain uses. But the work must stand up to the presentation or it's for nought. But bigger prints show all the details better, focus, lighting, whether or not you have over photoshopped or not.

Borders are a personal decision ... how you like your photos to look. But it should be consistent, whatever you choose. I personally like borderless for a photographer.

I agree sleeves do reduce the ability to see the image well. I have seen some photog just have their photos bound in a book ... but you need to be able to change it up. And it's really important to protect those photos so you have to consider that and how often you are willing to reprint everything. I suggest getting some non reflective sleeves at least, which do seem to be better.

Last edited by BetteT; 05-06-2010 at 02:46 PM.
06-06-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Photographers usually have the larger portfolios ... 11X14. Althought I've seen lots of customized ones in various sizes, including mini portfolios for certain uses. But the work must stand up to the presentation or it's for nought. But bigger prints show all the details better, focus, lighting, whether or not you have over photoshopped or not.

Borders are a personal decision ... how you like your photos to look. But it should be consistent, whatever you choose. I personally like borderless for a photographer.

I agree sleeves do reduce the ability to see the image well. I have seen some photog just have their photos bound in a book ... but you need to be able to change it up. And it's really important to protect those photos so you have to consider that and how often you are willing to reprint everything. I suggest getting some non reflective sleeves at least, which do seem to be better.
Thanks BetteT!

26-07-2010
windowshopping

I am getting a14x11 book and am wondering if it is best to get polyester pages vs acetate for my leather book? Is acetate the standard? Please if anyone may help.

Thanks.

26-07-2010
V.I.P.

Not really sure of which is which (It's been a while since I've replaced my sleeves) but I think either is OK, depending on the look you prefer. One is glossy and one is very shiny, as I recall. But whichever you use, make sure it's acid free ... so it won't yellow your pictures.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
artists, freelance, hair or makeup, portfolio, stylists, testing