How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-01-2006
V.I.P.

I'm also interested in finding out about schools. For Canada, I think there are three recognized schools, but they seem to be Textile ART than just design. With textile printing, dyeing, etc. you get to learn sculpture with fibers too. They are the Nova Scotia College of Art & Design, Alberta College of Art, and Capilano College. The first two have the 4-year degree in it and Capilano has a 2-year, which I hear is intensive and more technical. Alberta's some people say is more conceptual, though unfortunately I didn't get any further explanation on why or how this is. Many people who've graduated from these programs have really enjoyed it.

I'm planning on studying textiles this fall and then finish a degree elsewhere...

26-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vee
i'm glad i've found this!
so my question is, what kinds of directions do a textile major end up going in later? i have a fair idea of course, but i don't think i know what they really do.
also, do i get to learn the process of making the fabric and how to change things, come up with something new besides just making textile designs? i'm interesting in getting to the technical side as well, but if that requires something like chemistry, i don't know how well i would do since i'm terrible at science.
i have my heart set on studying textiles now, but i still feel a little unclear as to what it all entails.

i'd very much appreciate it if anyone has anything helpful and i'm sorry i've posted on such an old thread

textile majors can go to textile production, where they create fabrics (by weaving, knitting, etc.) and design them too (using prints, embroidery, different weaving techniques, etc.). these can be for interior design and fashion design companies. some go into crafts, selling their own unique goods. some teach and some work in film and theatre (like dyeing and ageing costumes, things like that). and others work in textile history, textile restoration and also teaching.
for actually MAKING new fabric (like how rayon and polyester was invented), i think this program would be something called like Textile Engineering or Textile Science. i don't think we have this in Canada...

i hope this helps/makes sense.

27-01-2006
backstage pass

Any info for textile design for someone living in Sydney?

scenester

The Helen Lefeaux program does offer a textiles course, but if you want to learn how to create lace, embroider or dye you will have to do it on your own. I am a graduate of that program and grads from my year taught themselves or learned those things, on their own time, and implemented the skills in their grad show pieces. I would suggest trying to learn these additional skills while you are taking the Design program as it will greatly enhance your train of thought while you design that year.

You can find textile dyeing classes here, this place is on Granville Island:

http://www.maiwa.com/

I would also suggest checking out places like the Roundhouse (on Davie & Pacific) for crocheting, embroidering and knitting classes (very inexpensive).

08-04-2006
V.I.P.

Thank you for the message!! I'll send you a PM. *o*

16-04-2006
V.I.P.

By the way, are there any textile designers here????

12-07-2006
V.I.P.

bump!

i second the last question. I'd love to read more specific information about this and unfortunately, none of the links above are working anymore.

V.I.P.

double-bump!.

V.I.P.

I hope somebody will reply too, Mulletproof
I'm a Textiles student... but I haven't even started my program yet. I do e-mail my future teachers.

20-07-2006
scenester

i am also really interested to find out more about textile design - i have a degree in communications design/illustration, but i don't really know what's out there for the pattern designs i am always coming up with?

www.myspace.com/erinaceous_illustration
01-08-2006
a dim capacity for wings

i do vaguely remember someone on here mentioning he did study textile design indeed but of course it slipped my mind..
anyway, the people i know who studied it, made their diploma here
http://www.haw-hamburg.de/international

02-08-2006
V.I.P.

great link, estella!

V.I.P.

Oh! I think that guy Estella is talking about is Le bon
...but I haven't seen him here anymore

06-08-2006
crossed wires.

Glasgow and Edinburgh are meant to be really good for textiles in the UK. I'm sure that they don't take any more than 15 students at degree level so it's difficult to get into.

http://www.gsa.ac.uk/update_flash.html

http://www.eca.ac.uk/ecalite/studyat...D=12&nav3ID=60

also heriot watt in scotland...
http://www.hw.ac.uk/sbc/

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius
By the way, are there any textile designers here????
I study textile design in the University of Buenos Aires- Argentina.. the next year I will finish the degree if you want ask me anything about the career ...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, design, or schools, textile