How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-02-2004
trendsetter

Textile Design as a Career /Schools
I'm not sure if this is in the correct place???

Does anyone have recommendations of good/great places to study textile design? Also any ideas on the requirements needed to enter schools?

Thanks in advance

11-02-2004
offline.

FIT has a pretty decent Textile Design program... I've seen some amazing stuff come out of the recent graduating class... Requirements are just your portfolio, I believe, but I could be wrong on that one... you can look for yourself on the website.
FIT website

11-02-2004
trendsetter

Thanks Luna

11-02-2004
etre soi-meme

contact me when you finish your studies allie, i may have work for you in europe

textile design is absolutely interesting and creative, if i stated up again, i think i'd choose fabric over fashion design

11-02-2004
trendsetter

Any recommended schools in Europe, Lena? Looking at FIT, but thinking of it I can more easily study in Europe than the US, although Canada is also possible

11-02-2004
etre soi-meme

Royal College of Art has a very good fabric design& engineering section, i think Belgium should have something interesting too, both in Brussels & in Antwerp

promise to get back to you with more institutions from paris allie, when i return from there (first week of March)

11-02-2004
doing it

lena Im curious about why you would possibly choose textile design over fashion? I have been toying with the idea...and in all honesty its the fabric that inspires me anyway.

11-02-2004
trendsetter

Cheers. Happy travelling and enjoy the shows

11-02-2004
trendsetter

Thanks to whomever moved the post, but not sure if this is a better placement??

12-02-2004
etre soi-meme

textile design topics belong to the fashion industry area so thats why its here allie.
there are more industry careers topics in this section.

btw, i'm traveling to Paris for the Premiere Vision Fabric Salon (season s.s.05) not for the shows. I absolutely recomment a visit Premiere Vision to anyone interested in studing textile design, amazing scourse of inspiration

marrimoda, check your pms

26-12-2004
Hoppity Hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
I absolutely recomment a visit Premiere Vision to anyone interested in studing textile design, amazing scourse of inspiration.
Here's a little clip about this amazing showcase.

http://ondemand.chumtv.com:8080/ramg...rm?usehostname

(Requires RealPlayer)

17-10-2005
rising star

Canadian Textile Districts...?
Does Canada have any textile districts for wholesale buyers? And if so, where? I live in Winnipeg and we are the third biggest textile/apparel manufacturing industry in Canada but we don't have a textile district...at least not one I've been able to find.

23-10-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitgirl View Post
Does Canada have any textile districts for wholesale buyers? And if so, where? I live in Winnipeg and we are the third biggest textile/apparel manufacturing industry in Canada but we don't have a textile district...at least not one I've been able to find.
Mills are all over the place... there really isn't a District. Believe it or not there are textile mills to be found in the yellow pages. Places like the Toronto Fashion Incubator (google that) help designers find resources.

I don't know much about Montreal, but it would certainly be a place I would look.

In Toronto: Queen West from Spadina to Bathurst for jobbers and stuff... some shops do wholesale... try King Textiles, I think they have a website now too. MacFab for costumiers supplies, upholstery and notions.

Up at Dufferin and Wingold is the other fashion District in Toronto... Many designers wholesale their clothes there, and also there are more jobbers, fabric wholesalers and leather dealers, etc. up there.

Last edited by BetteT; 24-01-2011 at 01:32 PM.
13-01-2006
V.I.P.

textiles for fashion in Canada (& question for Helen Lefeaux students/grads)
Hi,

1.) I'd just like to know are the fabrics used for clothing usually bought ready-made for the designer? I mean are there also some design teams that create their own textile prints and even dye, weave, embroider, etc. their own fabrics? I often here that for embroidery and very detailed work like lace, they are sent to places like India and so on.
I know that for sure in Europe they still make create lace and dye fabrics by hand. (I'm especially curious about that Miuccia Prada and how she works with her textiles. Maybe someday I'd like to be part of her design team.)

I'm mostly wondering about Canada because I live there and currently deciding between taking the fashion design program at Helen Lefeaux first or a Textile Arts program at another school... So far I haven't found a school in Canada that teaches both textiles and fashion (Heck I'm a little mad even that menswear programs are separate to womenswear and same for shoes and hats.) I'd say the textile side is very important for me; I'd like to experiment with different textures. So, this leads me to the next question:

2.) I was told the program at Helen Lefeaux only teaches clothing construction, so I'm wondering are the students usually improvising for their graduation shows and buying ready-made fabric (from the stores) for their designs??

I was thinking this might go well in the Creative Team forum too (art direction and creative design?). Please tell me if I should move it.

26-01-2006
vee
windowshopping

i'm glad i've found this!
after a lot of thought recently, i decided i would go into textiles once i finish high school and hopefully go into fashion on my own, later [i had long-time ambitions for fashion design major, but i think it might be better for me to do this instead].
i hear rhode island school of design and f.i.t. are good, and i think california college of art looks alright.
so my question is, what kinds of directions do a textile major end up going in later? i have a fair idea of course, but i don't think i know what they really do.
also, do i get to learn the process of making the fabric and how to change things, come up with something new besides just making textile designs? i'm interesting in getting to the technical side as well, but if that requires something like chemistry, i don't know how well i would do since i'm terrible at science.
i have my heart set on studying textiles now, but i still feel a little unclear as to what it all entails.

i'd very much appreciate it if anyone has anything helpful and i'm sorry i've posted on such an old thread

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, design, or schools, textile