How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-07-2005
about to fall or fly

i totally know what you mean about highlights and blow outs being deliberate..i do stuff like that all the time. i think my only problem with it is that it looks unintentional...they're smallish, not very dramatic..the corner of her eye on the left just sort of gets lost and blurred near the highlight, and i wish it were a bit more in focus or clear. i love your stuff and this is no exception. keep it up!

22-07-2005
front row

Now back to a giant beauty shoot that needs editing....

about to fall or fly

i can't wait to see more of your stuff, pamela.

also i just wanted to apologise if it sounds like i'm being over-critical...i don't mean to be. i like your work a lot and seeing it makes me think more critically about my own work. i'm really proud/glad that you moved to nyc to do this..that's my next big life step!

anyway, thanks everyone for sharing your work..i promise to post more soon!

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by .francesca
i can't wait to see more of your stuff, pamela.

also i just wanted to apologise if it sounds like i'm being over-critical...i don't mean to be. i like your work a lot and seeing it makes me think more critically about my own work. i'm really proud/glad that you moved to nyc to do this..that's my next big life step!

anyway, thanks everyone for sharing your work..i promise to post more soon!

You're not overly critical! Sure some of it I don't agree on as we all shot for our own person, but the next time I shoot I'll question things more. It helps because sometimes you're so involved in something different in that photograph you over look things. Most of the time in editing and post production, I edit and then leave it for a few hours or a day.. and then come back to it.. there's always things you don't see the first time around. Having people in the same field look at your work, especially emerging.. it's helpful. I post my work here for that reason. I'm glad I finally made the move here.. things are going 10x better than expected. I'm finally meeting/shooting the things I want.. it's baby steps right now.. but in the big picture, it's HUGE. The best part of this to me is making things happen with other creative people. I finally have amazing stylists/makeup/hair and REAL models. It makes shoots 10x funner and better working with people who have that passion. As cheesy as it sounds, it's very very exciting. So get moving!

Last edited by pamelaz; 22-07-2005 at 03:32 PM.
23-07-2005
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arug
Urban Stylin Those are supercute! Good work!
thanks alot. my site is cmg soon theres plenty there will send a link,
otherwise great stuff posted here of late very professional and easy on the eyes!

scenester

What a great thread, you guys are seriously good. Unfortunately I dont have as much experience as you guys but you know I'm learning every day. So any constructive crit on this appreciated.

Fintan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aw_05_02.jpg (98.5 KB, 15 views)

30-07-2005
backstage pass

Fintan, the colours are great!
But the anatomy of the picture is kind of dull.
I was always taught that you must give more space to the direction you model is gazing at. And not place the main thing to the middle of the picture.
There's constructive for you.

30-07-2005
about to fall or fly

i agree...a centered picture is boring. have you learned about rule of thirds? it's a simple technique to make sure that a picture is balanced without being boring. in this instance, and going along with what arug said about giving more space to the direction the model is gazing, composing the shot with the model more towards the left of the frame, gazing to the right, would have made the image stronger compositionally.

also, the background merger of the white graffiti is distracting..i don't know if that was done on purpose or not, but it's not doing anything positive for the image. i think the image could be a bit more dynamic. i love the colors and the outfit the model is wearing is interesting, but at this point it kind of looks more like a snapshot than a fashion shot.

good start fintan! i can't wait to see some more work.

scenester

hey, thanks for the crit and comments, always appreciated!
Heres another from the same session which is more off centre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aw_05_06.jpg (131.0 KB, 6 views)

30-07-2005
ya2
windowshopping

hi everyone! some of my photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m1.jpg (62.7 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg m2.jpg (78.3 KB, 342 views)

08-08-2005
front row

08-08-2005
front row

Few pieces from my new work.. I had such an amazing team!

Model: Anna Rybus (NEXT Models)
Stylist: Rachael Barrett
Hair: Tywan Williams
Makeup: Sally Duvall

backstage pass

Pamelaz those are great! I love the lighting on the first picture, the way it lines the arm. Just like in horror movies! :p good job.
Owen Bruce
the colors are amazing, but way too fake.
Is the picture air-brushed?

09-08-2005
windowshopping

Looking for advice, I know this is the photo sharing thread but no-one ever seems to reply in the careers threads. I'm not actually posting any pictures yet, but I'm going to be studying fashion photography at uni, and seeing as most of you guys must've studied that, I was wondering what kind of work I should include in my portfolio? Should I concentrate on fashion solely, or add in different examples of work so they can see a variety? And if you have any other tips, they'd be much appreciated.

09-08-2005
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

wow pamelaz those are great! she kinda looks like mariacarla and kate moss! Great stuff everyone though i gotta tell OWEN not to retouch the photos alot.iT MAKESTHEM lose their soul!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, fashion, photographers, post, posting, read, share, tfs, work