How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-08-2005
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

@ Megha you can post the fashion oriented photos here and the otherin our photography. great advice from experts here

09-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megha
Looking for advice, I know this is the photo sharing thread but no-one ever seems to reply in the careers threads. I'm not actually posting any pictures yet, but I'm going to be studying fashion photography at uni, and seeing as most of you guys must've studied that, I was wondering what kind of work I should include in my portfolio? Should I concentrate on fashion solely, or add in different examples of work so they can see a variety? And if you have any other tips, they'd be much appreciated.
Are you new to photography, or do you have a background already in photography? Is the school just fashion photography? When I was in my first school in the beginning, my portfolio was scattered because I was finding what I liked (fashion with still life with other artsy craziness). The more serious I got and the path I found the more it became only strictly fashion. Now my portfolio is fashion and beauty and soon each will have their own book. I think in the beginning when you're finding yourself in photography it's good to show variety and other talents.. besides it's good to explore the other talent (you might be an amazing fashion still life photographer! but you won't know if you don't give it a try). Just show your strengths. Most students have NO CLUE what direction they want to follow in photography in the beginning (there's so many).. there's many that graduate and still don't know. My best advice, if you have a picture and have to think about it twice to go in your book: it's not good enough.

More Old Skool Than You

Pamela you need to start selling prints, I want to hang that first one on my wall.

about to fall or fly

megha, i agree with what pamelaz said...if you've been taking pictures for a while, you should have a pretty good body of work that represents your style...it doesn't have to conform to a certain genre at this point. however, if you know you're going into a specific photo program (like fashion, food, etc) then i think your book should reflect that type of work...otherwise, i do think it's good to have a mixture of work in many styles, because it's good to be able to shoot many different ways and still convey a message/feeling. you said you're going to be studying fashion photography...are you going into a fashion-specific course, or is that just what you want to focus on? if it's the former, try to make the majority of your book be fashion, i think. if it's the latter, just pick your best work..as pamela said, if you have to think twice, you might not want to include it.

good luck! i can't wait to see your work!

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arug

Owen Bruce
the colors are amazing, but way too fake.
Is the picture air-brushed?
How can colors be fake?

And no, not airbrushed.

09-08-2005
front row

10-08-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Bruce
How can colors be fake?

And no, not airbrushed.
No airbrush? wow.
Maybe not fake but there is no harmony.
It just caught my eye.

10-08-2005
windowshopping

Pamela, Urban styling, Francesca, thanks for the advice. I've been taking photographs seriously for about 8 or 9 months but before that I acted as an assistant for my granpa who was a wedding photographer. My photographs are kind of a mixture of subjects; people, clothing, places but I prefer taking pictures of people as I find places boring occasionally. I guess you'll be able to see when I get around to posting them, but thanks again for all your advice!

10-08-2005
windowshopping

P.S Pamela, it's the London School of Fashion for fashion photography or the London College of Communication for Photography, I still haven't decided.

10-08-2005
front row

Megha - Good luck!

windowshopping

Hi
Brand new here . Good informations on this forum

I am from Montreal ,Canada.
here is my photography

www.brianypperciel.com
hope you enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m3av2P912W.jpg (227.1 KB, 17 views)

15-08-2005
front row

Model: Morgan (Fusion)
Stylist: Rachael Barrett
Makeup: Kim Weber
Hair: Ru Z

a dim capacity for wings

i really like the second one, pamela. it has a mysterious air without looking costumish

15-08-2005
about to fall or fly

this isn't necessarily a critisism on your photography, pamela, but i'm having a hard time with the model's body in the first picture...it's a bit strange looking.

but otherwise! i like them. i agree with anna...i like the second one the best. although i wish her knee and head weren't cut off. but it's a beautiful picture..i love the lighting.

good work!

a dim capacity for wings

he, francesca, when do we get to see some of your work again

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, fashion, photographers, post, posting, read, share, tfs, work