How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-01-2007
windowshopping

I was just wondering if i could get some feedback i just finished my website. good/bad /harsh i can take it just dont make fun of my mullet. www.icandyimage.com

11-01-2007
V.I.P.

If you want more visitors avoid flash animations. Consider that different people have different access to the internet. The design is great but navigation wise I find it somewhat complex.
Good luck!

11-01-2007
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftninja
I was just wondering if i could get some feedback i just finished my website. good/bad /harsh i can take it just dont make fun of my mullet. www.icandyimage.com
I must say, the photos are nice but all the animation and text is distracting from the photos. I think it would be better if you kept it more simple, you don't want people to be more drawn to the design and animation of the page, that detracts from the actual work which is what everyone who goes in there wants to see. Just my 2Ę...

Cheers,

Ivonne

12-01-2007
girl who fell to earth

i agree with those who have already posted...
i think the most "complicated" aspect was the sort of floating menu... at first i wasn't sure if i was supposed to wait for it to stop spinning around but then it seemed like i had to catch the one i wanted..
something more simple and streamlined would be better so that you can let your work speak for itself and don't draw too much attention away from it

12-01-2007
V.I.P.

Welcome to tFS, drfitninja!

I have NOT looked at your site yet, so this is not a critique of your site. I just wanted to comment on the subject of flash and graphics on photogbraphers' sites.

If you go to photographer's forums ... there's always a lot of discussion about this very issue and the consensus is always that "less is more" and flash is not only not necessary ... that flash is a negative.

They say that the art directors and others that hire photographers are busy people and will not take the time to wade through a flash site, waiting for it to load and trying to figure out how to get to the images ... which is the ONLY thing they are interested in. They will just leave the site and move on to the next photgrapher.

Most AD's (and I've hear this from photographer's agents too) state that they prefer, no flash, simple graphics and easily identified portfolios by arranged in categories (like fashion, commercial, portraits, celebrities, whatever is applicable to your work), so that they can quickly find the images they are interested in. The also like thumbnails rather than a scroll ... so that they can readily click on only those images that they want to take a close look at.

Keep it simple, fast and focused on your work. Don't fall into the trap of paying a webmaster to show off his work ... he needs to show his fancy graphics and cool effects on his own site, not yours.

Last edited by BetteT; 12-01-2007 at 11:19 AM.
12-01-2007
about to fall or fly

i agree with this 100% - if it's any indication, we've been talking more about the site than we have about your actual work, which should tell you that in this case, less is really more.

the vast majority of flash is overrated, in my opinion. when it comes to something like photography, which is inherently still, using a lot of flash just detracts. bette is totally right - agents and ads and photo editors aren't going to want to wade through a lot of fancy graphics or wait for the portfolio page to load - they're going to move on. so no matter how amazing your work is, they'll never know, because they don't have the time or inclination to get to it.

good luck! it looks like there's some good work in there. let's see it!

scenester

New series I styled and shot in NYC two weeks ago. Cheers!

28-02-2007
windowshopping

i love this thread, nice to see what others are doing
my work is here: http://www.ilovefake.com
i'm a photographer from amsterdam, netherlands, 25 years old, and only been doing this for 1 year. next week i'm invited to photography agencies

here are some examples of my work:

the rest are on my site i listed above.
kisses,
jolijn

28-02-2007
about to fall or fly

you can see some of my recent work in our new visualising fashion banners!

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennusdin
hi, new member here and i wanted a quick read from this group on a test we shot in NYC last week. Model is Anya from 2NY models, MUA, hair and styling by Lani Todd. Lingerie by La Perla. Images shot on Nikon D2X. Any thoughts, critiques, comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Glenn, I know this is an old post, but I love those images! Beautiful lighting.

14-03-2007
V.I.P.

Welcome Ashley!
And Glenn ... I didn't know that you were a member here!!

Nice to see old friends ... both of you.

14-03-2007
V.I.P.

francesca ... you are much too modest. I won't blow your cover ... but we have a highly talented photographer among us ... share your news ... or may I?

14-03-2007
about to fall or fly

bette, i honestly don't know what you're referring to...if it's my BIG news, it's like 6 months old. but i mean, go ahead and blow my cover if you must

V.I.P.

Ok ... it isn't "new" news ... but it is big news and I don't think you've shared it here (outside of the Mod Squad forums).

Our own .francesca is a Surface Magazine's Avant Gaurdian winner this past year!!!! It's one of the most prestigious awards for up and coming photographers and they get a whole editorial spread in the "Avant Guardian" issue. Thousands compete for this every year. Very impressive for a little girl from Halifax! Actually, very impressive for any photographer.

Here's the link to Surface .... click on the lower left image, the upside down girl on the stairs ... to see her work ... Francesca Tallone.

15-03-2007
V.I.P.

Miss Tallone your work stands out truly! Intelligent stuff in there. If I get a chance I'd love to purchase the magazine, I believe it's an old issue so it will be hard to find. I'd love to send you some of my work for critique, if you have time or will!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, fashion, photographers, post, posting, read, share, tfs, work