How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
05-05-2004
  151
trendsetter
 
Oria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: the world
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally posted by seditionary@May 5th, 2004 - 11:08 am
its real funny.. we have no st marts graduates... or students abt on fspot...
either they r off workin in the stock room at marks n spencers, or busy being a creative director of a fashion house... and the students are off taking too many drugs and doing too much drink....
that place does not teach u that much technical skill...
i went to the summer school .. and there was loads of peeps from the degree courses as they needed to learn everythin again.. tut tut....
however what i did learn was really beneficial to me... i wish they had done a draping course, n i wish i cud go back over summer n do some more courses there...
facilities are kinda bare...
havin visited lcf as well... i would say they have more equipment per student, plus it all looks n seems to work much better than the st marts stuff

however i friends doing degrees right now... at st marts n lcf ... both lots r hating it... one friend just told me today she is gonna drop out of st marts n go to lcf or brighton, because the place isnt her... another at st marts feels lonely, as she says there is no spirit at st marts ( but i think she is kinda to blame for that problem) .. my friend at lcf goes home to cheshire every weekend as she loathes the spirit at lcf... and she hates her course as well.... she says it is TOO technical driven and hardly any creativity (she originally applied to cordwainers for accessories, but they merged)

if i was to chose to go to any uni right now.. i would learn some flemish n get myself to the royal college in belgium... n then do a masters in st marts or royal academy london...
she didn't like the programme at lcf for accessories? most the people I work with are from lcf, and they are very good next to the people who studied in Italy. I do hear some complaints that some professors are not really good but the technical end is very well executed. in the accessories end especially shoes (which is what i do) this is important to understand. cordwainers is well known for their work with leather, shoes etc but i hear the merge of lcf and them has not been all that great. i am to attend some classes there but i do know i am very tired of school haha.

__________________
Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death. Anais Nin
 
 
05-05-2004
  152
trendsetter
 
Oria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: the world
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally posted by sheryl5@May 5th, 2004 - 10:07 am
Hi

i am planning to join the Parsons Certificate program this summer onwards
Has anyone here done their certificate program>?is it well structured and is teh faculty good?
any replies will be gr8ly appreciately ..
i am a graduate of parsons and from the 2 people i know who took only the certificate programme they are very happy with it (they are working so maybe that is good). it is very fashion driven which is good i think.

__________________
Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death. Anais Nin
 
06-05-2004
  153
doing it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NYC
Gender: femme
Posts: 458
The certificate program at Parsons is structured. THere is a core curriculum whichi is similar to Parsons AAS and BFA program, however you will spend less time on each subject (draping, fashion drawing, etc.) The teachers in the certificate program are very good. I would say that the key difference is there is less homework in the certificate program than in the AAS or BFA. After either of the two degree programs you do not need a masters degree, unless you want to focus on costume design...otherwise the working world is your masters program, understand? A degree program will have more rigor, and consequently more prestige than the certificate program. However the certificate is much more economical. I would say that the programs at parsons focus on design, but do give a lot of technical skill. FIT has more specific technical courses, but you can always supplement your education with fit classes for tech skill, or parsons courses for design studios.

 
06-05-2004
  154
rising star
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Australia
Gender: homme
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Mar 20th, 2004 - 2:55 pm
to be honest st martins is a bit......pointless for fashion design

their graduate collections make u think 'whats the point'
Isnt it based apon the school tho.. its reputation.. i mean check out its graduates McQueen, Galliano and McCartney (to name a few).. arent they considered to be the some of the best latest designers of our time??

 
06-05-2004
  155
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally posted by Oria+May 5th, 2004 - 5:30 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oria @ May 5th, 2004 - 5:30 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-sheryl5@May 5th, 2004 - 10:07 am
Hi

i am planning to join the Parsons Certificate program this summer onwards
Has anyone here done their certificate program>?is it well structured and is teh faculty good?
any replies will be gr8ly appreciately ..
i am a graduate of parsons and from the 2 people i know who took only the certificate programme they are very happy with it (they are working so maybe that is good). it is very fashion driven which is good i think.[/b][/quote]
Gr8!! thanks so much for the reply...

 
06-05-2004
  156
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally posted by marrimoda@May 6th, 2004 - 1:38 am
The certificate program at Parsons is structured. THere is a core curriculum whichi is similar to Parsons AAS and BFA program, however you will spend less time on each subject (draping, fashion drawing, etc.) The teachers in the certificate program are very good. I would say that the key difference is there is less homework in the certificate program than in the AAS or BFA. After either of the two degree programs you do not need a masters degree, unless you want to focus on costume design...otherwise the working world is your masters program, understand? A degree program will have more rigor, and consequently more prestige than the certificate program. However the certificate is much more economical. I would say that the programs at parsons focus on design, but do give a lot of technical skill. FIT has more specific technical courses, but you can always supplement your education with fit classes for tech skill, or parsons courses for design studios.
Thanks so much for the post.Thats exactly what i want to do..
I have heard so much about parsons ...I cant afford to do their degree programs there ...So thought i could do the certificate for a career switch!
I already have a master degree in business managment.Also thanks for teh suggestion of doing courses in FIT .I will definitely consider taking these courses when i complete teh certificate program ..They have some amazing courses acessory design and construction....currently i live in Nj i want to move in Late summer to the city and do the certificate course part time and later do the courses in FIT beacuse then I will pay the instate fee.So hope it works well!thanks again!

 
06-05-2004
  157
scenester
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Europe
Gender: homme
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally posted by seditionary@May 5th, 2004 - 11:08 am
its real funny.. we have no st marts graduates... or students abt on fspot...
either they r off workin in the stock room at marks n spencers, or busy being a creative director of a fashion house... and the students are off taking too many drugs and doing too much drink....
that place does not teach u that much technical skill...
i went to the summer school .. and there was loads of peeps from the degree courses as they needed to learn everythin again.. tut tut....
however what i did learn was really beneficial to me... i wish they had done a draping course, n i wish i cud go back over summer n do some more courses there...
facilities are kinda bare...
havin visited lcf as well... i would say they have more equipment per student, plus it all looks n seems to work much better than the st marts stuff

however i friends doing degrees right now... at st marts n lcf ... both lots r hating it... one friend just told me today she is gonna drop out of st marts n go to lcf or brighton, because the place isnt her... another at st marts feels lonely, as she says there is no spirit at st marts ( but i think she is kinda to blame for that problem) .. my friend at lcf goes home to cheshire every weekend as she loathes the spirit at lcf... and she hates her course as well.... she says it is TOO technical driven and hardly any creativity (she originally applied to cordwainers for accessories, but they merged)

if i was to chose to go to any uni right now.. i would learn some flemish n get myself to the royal college in belgium... n then do a masters in st marts or royal academy london...
"its real funny.. we have no st marts graduates... or students abt on fspot..."


"that place does not teach u that much technical skill..."

That is very true, but then again they dont claim to do that, actually what they tell you is if you want to learn that side of fashion then you are better of going to lcf...etc, of course you should always have a general knowledge. So it think that its abit unfair to compare those colleges because they cater for different students and I am very sure that when employes come and look at the students they know what to expect or not!! The same applies to the MA course.
At st martins and at RCA..the courses (womens/mens) are very different...in terms of what you learn, so it all depends on what the student wants to do when they graduate. And this can clearly be seen in the graduate collections.

 
06-05-2004
  158
front row
 
pinkillumination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
Posts: 311
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Westminster University/Fashion

It's been very popular this year, even known to be better then CSM.

I had my interview there 2 weeks ago. I was a bit unsure about it as it is a 'very' good university and hard to get into. My designing skills are much better then my practical skills but they explained that they teach you everything during the first year, and oh my god how friendly were the interviewers!!

Anyway, I also recently found out that I got in

I guess all that giggling and the constant nervous-babbling made quite an impression!

 
06-05-2004
  159
scenester
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Europe
Gender: homme
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally posted by FoxyC@May 6th, 2004 - 10:10 am
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Westminster University/Fashion

It's been very popular this year, even known to be better then CSM.

I had my interview there 2 weeks ago. I was a bit unsure about it as it is a 'very' good university and hard to get into. My designing skills are much better then my practical skills but they explained that they teach you everything during the first year, and oh my god how friendly were the interviewers!!

Anyway, I also recently found out that I got in

I guess all that giggling and the constant nervous-babbling made quite an impression!
Westminister is a very good course, so is middlesex....its just that they dont get the coverage.

"but they explained that they teach you everything during the first year" learning pattern cutting/sewing takes years...I have been doing it for 6 years...but i still know that i have lots more to learn, i suppose you never stop learning.

 
06-05-2004
  160
front row
 
pinkillumination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackalicious@May 6th, 2004 - 4:39 pm
Westminister is a very good course, so is middlesex....its just that they dont get the coverage.

"but they explained that they teach you everything during the first year" learning pattern cutting/sewing takes years...I have been doing it for 6 years...but i still know that i have lots more to learn, i suppose you never stop learning.
I like the fact that they dont get that much coverage compared to CSM's, so that they are actually living off the outcome of students, rather than the
name-reputation

Yes, of course sewing etc takes years to learn, but I meant that they teach you the basics of everything, so you can build up on it eventually. You gotta start somewhere eh?

Also because I was mentally referring to my best-friend who went to London College Of Fashion to do a foundation in art and design (obviously specialising in fashion) and telling me that during the first few weeks she had to design and pattern cut a design she did, and she had no idea where to start lol, and her teacher assumed she knew.

 
06-05-2004
  161
scenester
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Europe
Gender: homme
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally posted by FoxyC+May 6th, 2004 - 10:51 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FoxyC @ May 6th, 2004 - 10:51 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Blackalicious@May 6th, 2004 - 4:39 pm

Westminister is a very good course, so is middlesex....its just that they dont get the coverage.

"but they explained that they teach you everything during the first year" learning pattern cutting/sewing takes years...I have been doing it for 6 years...but i still know that i have lots more to learn,* i suppose you never stop learning.*
I like the fact that they dont get that much coverage compared to CSM's, so that they are actually living off the outcome of students, rather than the
name-reputation

Yes, of course sewing etc takes years to learn, but I meant that they teach you the basics of everything, so you can build up on it eventually. You gotta start somewhere eh?

Also because I was mentally referring to my best-friend who went to London College Of Fashion to do a foundation in art and design (obviously specialising in fashion) and telling me that during the first few weeks she had to design and pattern cut a design she did, and she had no idea where to start lol, and her teacher assumed she knew. [/b][/quote]
very true..so are you going to graduate fashion week?

 
06-05-2004
  162
front row
 
pinkillumination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
Posts: 311
Oooooh if i'm not busy!! Theres an exhibition at my college soon that i'm in, so i'll be busy with that.

I'm gonna have to decide and buy tickets pronto though eh?

 
06-05-2004
  163
trendsetter
 
Oria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: the world
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally posted by sheryl5+May 6th, 2004 - 8:22 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sheryl5 @ May 6th, 2004 - 8:22 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Oria@May 5th, 2004 - 5:30 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-sheryl5
Quote:
@May 5th, 2004 - 10:07 am
Hi

i am planning to join the Parsons Certificate program this summer onwards
Has anyone here done* their certificate program>?is it well structured and is teh faculty good?
any replies will be* gr8ly appreciately ..

i am a graduate of parsons and from the 2 people i know who took only the certificate programme they are very happy with it (they are working so maybe that is good). it is very fashion driven which is good i think.
Gr8!! thanks so much for the reply... [/b][/quote]
you are welcome. if you have any questions about the certificate programme call and speak with ramona candy, she is excellent and one of the girls i was talking about confirmed she oversees the program. she is very encouraging and honest. when i was where you are she helped me decide on which way to go with my education which was the bfa programme, and i originally only wanted to do one or two ce programmes but she really talked to me about all of it. good luck in your studies and either way you go i think you should be fine. everyone has to decide what works for them.

next up for me is lcf and instituto marangiomi! i wish my speciality did not require constant learning haha, but it does so that is life.

__________________
Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death. Anais Nin
 
06-05-2004
  164
scenester
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Europe
Gender: homme
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally posted by FoxyC@May 6th, 2004 - 11:10 am
Oooooh if i'm not busy!! Theres an exhibition at my college soon that i'm in, so i'll be busy with that.

I'm gonna have to decide and buy tickets pronto though eh?
not really...but maybe by the beginning of june

 
06-05-2004
  165
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally posted by Oria+May 6th, 2004 - 1:24 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oria @ May 6th, 2004 - 1:24 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by sheryl5@May 6th, 2004 - 8:22 am
Quote:
Originally posted by Oria@May 5th, 2004 - 5:30 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-sheryl5
Quote:
Quote:
@May 5th, 2004 - 10:07 am
Hi

i am planning to join the Parsons Certificate program this summer onwards
Has anyone here done* their certificate program>?is it well structured and is teh faculty good?
any replies will be* gr8ly appreciately ..

i am a graduate of parsons and from the 2 people i know who took only the certificate programme they are very happy with it (they are working so maybe that is good). it is very fashion driven which is good i think.

Gr8!! thanks so much for the reply...
you are welcome. if you have any questions about the certificate programme call and speak with ramona candy, she is excellent and one of the girls i was talking about confirmed she oversees the program. she is very encouraging and honest. when i was where you are she helped me decide on which way to go with my education which was the bfa programme, and i originally only wanted to do one or two ce programmes but she really talked to me about all of it. good luck in your studies and either way you go i think you should be fine. everyone has to decide what works for them.

next up for me is lcf and instituto marangiomi! i wish my speciality did not require constant learning haha, but it does so that is life. [/b][/quote]
Thanks oria for all your help.I will speak to ramona and see whether she could guide me well.If you dont mind, please send me ur email id seema_pinto@fitnyc.edu (studying image consulting in FIT)so that i can keep in touch.what r u specialising in taht u have to study further?is it costume design?

 
Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, megathread, schools, tfs
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.