How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

08-01-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott@Jan 8th, 2004 - 8:17 pm
Rhode Island School of Design I hear has a pretty decent cirriculum too,with which you might want to take into consideration. NY designer Tess Giberson attended that one.
oh yeah that was one i forgot about. yeah i've heard it's the best art school in the country. i also forgot central st. martins.

08-01-2004
backstage pass

Cooper Union, WOW you have high expectations hence its the hardest school in the nation to get into (even harder than Harvard)

08-01-2004
Stitch:the Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by loserunit+Jan 8th, 2004 - 7:38 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loserunit @ Jan 8th, 2004 - 7:38 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Jan 8th, 2004 - 8:17 pm
Rhode Island School of Design I hear has a pretty decent cirriculum too,with which you might want to take into consideration. NY designer Tess Giberson attended that one.
oh yeah that was one i forgot about. yeah i've heard it's the best art school in the country. i also forgot central st. martins. [/b][/quote]
From the things I hear,its quite substantially based(creativity,expression et al)combined with the technical stuff. Sounds awfully similar to that of the Royal Academy in Antwerp. Perhaps,the most underrated of schools. But maybe that's a good thing?

08-01-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by loserunit@Jan 8th, 2004 - 6:52 pm
hey you posted my post right before me. hmm...weird... whatever.
me??

08-01-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Christopher31@Jan 8th, 2004 - 8:53 pm
Cooper Union, WOW you have high expectations hence its the hardest school in the nation to get into (even harder than Harvard)
haha yes i know.

their student body is like only 10% out of state. yet if you get in it's like a complete full ride. no matter financial situation.

08-01-2004
trendsetter

um, there's always SVA (School of Visual Arts)
If you look at any of the student annuals (Graphis, AIGA, ADC) the majority of winners are from SVA....and these are international contests.
I think one year, about 80% of winners of Graphis were SVA students....

08-01-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by paint_it_black@Jan 8th, 2004 - 6:19 pm
i am going to this fall semster at F.I.T in New York City for menswear design.
that's cool. i used to want to go to fit. i may still. but i wouldn't do menswear

09-01-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugo@Jan 8th, 2004 - 10:11 pm
um, there's always SVA (School of Visual Arts)
If you look at any of the student annuals (Graphis, AIGA, ADC) the majority of winners are from SVA....and these are international contests.
I think one year, about 80% of winners of Graphis were SVA students....
I don't think SVA has a fashion program...thats why my friend switched to Parsons after her first year. I am hopefully going to study fashion at The School of The Art Institute of Chicago...hopefully my portfolio will get accepted.

09-01-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by stylegurrl@Jan 7th, 2004 - 12:56 pm
Hello,

My name is Tashi. This is my first time posting here. I came across this site by chance and was thrilled. I had never been able to find a site where people discussed fashion in depth.
Welcome to TFS!

09-01-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by tealady+Jan 9th, 2004 - 8:15 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tealady @ Jan 9th, 2004 - 8:15 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-stylegurrl@Jan 7th, 2004 - 12:56 pm
Hello,

My name is Tashi. This is my first time posting here. I came across this site by chance and was thrilled. I had never been able to find a site where people discussed fashion in depth.
Welcome to TFS! [/b][/quote]
Thank you!

09-01-2004
trendsetter

No
SVA doesn't have fashion design. Parsons is best for that.
Loserunit mentioned advertising. That's why I mentioned SVA.
It's best for graphic design though. That's what I went for.

09-01-2004
front row

oops...sorry sugo...i misread.

09-01-2004
rising star

I have a degree in Architecture and have taken classes at Otis/Parsons here in Los Angeles and have to say the evening program is excelent. Because of my background in design and Fine Art i found it relatively easy to pick up. After 6 months of classes at night I started my line and feel confident I have learned most of what I needed. For any of you in the Los Angeles area interested in a BFA in Fashion Design you should check Otis. www.otis.edu

SMC - Santa Monica College also has an AA in fashion design priced at $18 per credit with excelent instructors and transfer credits into 4 year schools. www.smc.edu

IMO the best education is the one you will find by going out and doing. Fashion design is not so strict that you even need a degree to succede. Take a few classes, make some clothes and push your way to the top. I have met alot of people that have degrees from great schools that are working at Starbucks.

09-01-2004
rising star

Adil Oliver Sharif, NU Magazine, London / Brandon Pierre, US: How much of an impact did Saint Martins have on you and your design skill? And, what were you like as a student?

Alexander McQueen: St Martins is a lot about hype and not much substance. As a student, I spent a lot of my time in the pool room in the cafe since I didn't feel I was learning much.

09-01-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by paint_it_black+Jan 8th, 2004 - 9:49 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paint_it_black @ Jan 8th, 2004 - 9:49 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-loserunit@Jan 8th, 2004 - 6:52 pm
hey you posted my post right before me. hmm...weird... whatever.
me?? [/b][/quote]
no just this entire topic. i posted one almost indentical

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, megathread, schools, tfs