How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

09-01-2004
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally posted by micouture@Jan 9th, 2004 - 5:53 pm
Adil Oliver Sharif, NU Magazine, London / Brandon Pierre, US: How much of an impact did Saint Martins have on you and your design skill? And, what were you like as a student?

Alexander McQueen: St Martins is a lot about hype and not much substance. As a student, I spent a lot of my time in the pool room in the cafe since I didn't feel I was learning much.
hmmmmm.... interesting.....

14-01-2004
windowshopping

i did two semesters at central st martins and a few classes at the london college of fashion, and now im doing 3 classes at f.i.t. in new york. doing my masters degree in fashion at st martins in october

14-01-2004
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally posted by unismuimui+Jan 10th, 2004 - 12:31 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unismuimui @ Jan 10th, 2004 - 12:31 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-micouture@Jan 9th, 2004 - 5:53 pm
Adil Oliver Sharif, NU Magazine, London / Brandon Pierre, US: How much of an impact did Saint Martins have on you and your design skill? And, what were you like as a student?

Alexander McQueen: St Martins is a lot about hype and not much substance. As a student, I spent a lot of my time in the pool room in the cafe since I didn't feel I was learning much.
[/b][/quote]
st martins is not as technical as say, the london college of fashion or FIT. what they really focus on is creativity and developing ideas. i think thats whats fantastic about the college. i learned so much at st martins, and i was able to find all the technical skills i needed elsewhere.

14-01-2004
trendsetter

I have attended both FIT in nyc and Parsons and I prefered the teaching at Parsons to FIT, although Vasilios (of the accesories dept) made my life beautiful at FIT! I will be attending London College of Fashion:Cordwainers for my Masters in October. I may even take a summer course at Instituto Marangoni, if my employer pays

14-01-2004
yes

Quote:
Originally posted by Oria@Jan 14th, 2004 - 5:46 pm
I may even take a summer course at Instituto Marangoni, if my employer pays

OMG u HAVE to come to my school

they throw us the best parties EVER

14-01-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid+Jan 14th, 2004 - 3:48 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Acid @ Jan 14th, 2004 - 3:48 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Oria@Jan 14th, 2004 - 5:46 pm
I may even take a summer course at Instituto Marangoni, if my employer pays

OMG u HAVE to come to my school

they throw us the best parties EVER [/b][/quote]
You're on Acid!! I'm gonna be extra nice to my boss because he wants to go cheaper haha! I told him noooo they are the best please! Now I have proof! thanks

14-01-2004
yes

Quote:
Originally posted by Oria@Jan 14th, 2004 - 9:25 pm
You're on Acid!!
i hope u meant 'you're on, acid'

im not quite that naughty (yet)

16-01-2004
doing it

oria --

can you tell me how you found Parsons different from F.I.T.?

I'm taking classes at Parsons, and thought about switching to F.I.T. because tuition is lower there...but if Parsons is better then that's where I'll continue.

I'd like to know your impressions.

16-01-2004
trendsetter

i'm still in high school, graduating this june. i'm taking some undergrad course at st.martins this summer, and attending parsons in the fall. i'm so excited!

And the world will live as one..."
-John Lennon

17-01-2004
backstage pass

I would like to go in Esmod in Paris, it's hard but I would like to be fashion editor or fashion designer, and Esmod proposes a work very interesting.
Do u know Esmod and what do u think about that ?

20-01-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid+Jan 14th, 2004 - 4:37 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Acid @ Jan 14th, 2004 - 4:37 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Oria@Jan 14th, 2004 - 9:25 pm
You're on Acid!!
i hope u meant 'you're on, acid'

im not quite that naughty (yet) [/b][/quote]
yes yes thats what I meant haha @ naughty part.

20-01-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by marrimoda@Jan 16th, 2004 - 1:17 am
oria --

can you tell me how you found Parsons different from F.I.T.?

I'm taking classes at Parsons, and thought about switching to F.I.T. because tuition is lower there...but if Parsons is better then that's where I'll continue.

I'd like to know your impressions.
Well it is my opinion that Parsons is much more personable with a little of the technical and creative freedom, very nuturing in my opinion. I think you learn more from Parsons but not maybe anything different than F.I.T. I also hear F.I.T in Florence is better, if you finish your schooling off their.

Have you ever been to F.I.T yet? I mean as maybe to be shown around? I can tell you it is a mad house because it is cheaper everyone and I mean everyone wants to join the school. To see what I mean attend during the months before and during registration. I honestly think they have lost some of their good technical teachings because classes often get too crowded, students given passes into even when its booked. Both schools overall I feel are good, and since F.I.T has programs specifically for say accessories it worked for me, but I wanted to finish my total degree at Parsons.

Even when I talk to overseas schools they seem to really like the fact that I attended Parsons, maybe because a few good designers have come from the school recently.

So its a choice for you to make and maybe in the end it depends on personality. I like to feel special but also to learn and feel like I'm learning. I found that at Parsons and F.I.T was maybe too big city for my beach soul

20-01-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fujyn@Jan 17th, 2004 - 9:29 am
I would like to go in Esmod in Paris, it's hard but I would like to be fashion editor or fashion designer, and Esmod proposes a work very interesting.
Do u know Esmod and what do u think about that ?
all i know about this school is frank sobier the couture designer, an alumni of this school. and that they have a school or something like that in so paulo, brasil.

20-01-2004
windowshopping

I'm planning on taking fashion design at Ryerson (in TO) after I graduate.

20-01-2004
doing it

I did briefly walk through the F.I.T. campus. It seemed very "active" which is nice if you are a younger student (18-22). But I am in my thirties and the whole "scene" isnt so appealing to me. Even as an undergraduate when I was 20, I prefered a smaller school, more intimate, with more one-to-one instruction. Actually that is what I've found at Parsons. I just was curious if the two schools had any differences in approach, philosophy, etc. I'd hate to miss better instruction, but it sounds about equal...maybe Parsons is better for me in terms of the environment...but the tuition sure is hefty!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, megathread, schools, tfs