How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

29-01-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by marrimoda@Jan 20th, 2004 - 4:09 pm
I did briefly walk through the F.I.T. campus. It seemed very "active" which is nice if you are a younger student (18-22). But I am in my thirties and the whole "scene" isnt so appealing to me. Even as an undergraduate when I was 20, I prefered a smaller school, more intimate, with more one-to-one instruction. Actually that is what I've found at Parsons. I just was curious if the two schools had any differences in approach, philosophy, etc. I'd hate to miss better instruction, but it sounds about equal...maybe Parsons is better for me in terms of the environment...but the tuition sure is hefty!
Yes its expensive at Parson's but its lovely and amazing to say the least. If you stay in or around New York City, and you're not to sure there is a Ramona Candy, she is the director of continuing education @ Parsons. I tell you this because she helped me when I wasn't sure which school to continue with, and so I took a few courses outside of my degree and she worked wonders. So there is a name you have if you need more answers. She's very helpful and although she may not head-up the Undergrad/Grad divisions she's well connected within Parsons.

29-01-2004
yes

apparently the fashion school in LA isnt so good.

i cant remember its name but its something like FIT....but another letter too

29-01-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Jan 29th, 2004 - 2:11 pm

Do you mean FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising)?

29-01-2004
trendsetter

how many major designers came out of parsons?

i think ive read:

donna karen
carolina herrara
prozena schouler
marc jacobs
tom ford

ugh. i dont remember any others. do the majority of new york based designers come from parons?

And the world will live as one..."
-John Lennon

29-01-2004
& b

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Jan 14th, 2004 - 4:37 pm
im not quite that naughty (yet)
Yeh right you put me to shame Sean

Im taking fashion at AI in Fort Lauderdale

02-02-2004
rising star

You mean FIDM, here is my ranking of LA fashion schools:

Otis - BFA (used to be parsons west before they broke away)

SMC - AA(Best Value - $18 a creddit for an AA)

FIDM- BFA

AIU - BFA

Woodbury - BFA

Trade Tech - AA?

CDC - AA

02-02-2004
doing it

thanks oria...

I've decided to hang on at parsons -- even it means i am even farther away from being able to buy a house!!!

on the subject of FIDM -- theres a fashion illustration instructor there who wrote this book "9 HEADS"...pretty good...modern stylised fashion drawings with some artist interviews. Have you folks seen it?

04-02-2004
scenester

[FONT=Courier][COLOR=blue]IS it difficult to get into FIT or Parsons Design school? Does anybody know any requirements? I'm only 14...help me plan my future!!!!![COLOR=red]

04-02-2004
V.I.P.

i talked to my art teacher about schools. she wouldn't recommend FIT at all i guess. she says that it's just like a trade school.

if you want an art degree and the whole art environment go parsons. or pratt which is also a good art school in nyc.

almost all art schools are portfolio based. if they like what they see you can get in on the spot.

04-02-2004
scenester

Thank you so much...I know you're only my first reply (maybe the only reply I'll get) but I just started thinking about schools and someone told me about FIT, if wouldn't of told me this information, I would of went in the wrong directions. Thanks!!!

04-02-2004
V.I.P.

you're welcome.

i'm sorta interested in a design career and i used to want to go to FIT when i was younger. now i want to go to an art school. where i can do whatever and aren't limited and then if i decide to do a design thing i can get a masters anywhere.

my top choices are
-SAIC [chicago]
-MICA [maryland]
-Cooper Union [nyc]

04-02-2004
front row

Parsons and FIT are safe choices for design schools if your looking to study fashion. But one thing you might want to take into consideration is the student to teacher ratio. Both those schools are extremely popular, therefore the attention each student recieves from their instructor is less than the amount you would recieve from a school with a smaller design program. Make sure you really look into the programs you want to study. The program may be small but it might be a great one.

04-02-2004
V.I.P.

Just curious, why is this gossip? There are similar topics about different schools in The Spot and Designers & Collections.

05-02-2004
doing it

Thats a good question -- the young person (meant endearingly) is seeking information -- how is that gossip??

Anyway.

I am learning FIT is sort of trade school-ish -- but you know what? Some really good designers got their training there, so you shouldnt just eliminate it without proper investigation. Call and ask them to send you literature, and research their website. I will say this -- it is a very career specific school. It is not the same kind of environment as an art school.

Parsons -- It is smaller than FIT, and my classes have no more than 20 students per class, some classes its more like 15 students. Thats a pretty good ratio.
If you start learning about what kinds of things you should include in a portfolio, then it may not be hard for you to get into the BFA program. There is also the A.A.S -- which is an associates degree -- but not at all what you would think of an associates degree from any other college. At parsons, the A.A.S program is set up for people who already have their bachelors degree...kind of what you'd expect of a Master's degree program. Also, most masters programs in fashion design are all about costume design...just incase that does or does not interest you.

Good luck.

19-03-2004
fashion icon

Fashion Schools-Everything you need to know...
Next year I am applying to a fashion program.

Here are the ones I am considering

Central St.Martins- Perhaps the best program in the world but very selective

Parsons- The best in the U.S. but VERY exspensive

F.I.T.- Very affordable but I am not so sure about their reputation and connections

If any has any advice or helpful information I would greatly appreciate it.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, megathread, schools, tfs