How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

20-03-2004
yes

to be honest st martins is a bit......pointless for fashion design

their graduate collections make u think 'whats the point'

20-03-2004
offline.

I'm not a fashion design major, so I dont know how all of that works, but i'm fairly happy with what goes on in my major.

I've heard a lot of people say that you can get the same thing at FIT that you can at parson's.. only at a fraction of the cost.

20-03-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by Mutterlein@Mar 19th, 2004 - 11:22 pm
Next year I am applying to a fashion program.

Here are the ones I am considering

Central St.Martins- Perhaps the best program in the world but very selective

Parsons- The best in the U.S. but VERY exspensive

F.I.T.- Very affordable but I am not so sure about their reputation and connections

If any has any advice or helpful information I would greatly appreciate it.
The most important thing when deciding on a college course is to visit the college's and see if they suit your style and ambitions

Its better to pick the best course for you and not just pick the most famous college

St Martins isn't actually that selective - I think they now have about 120 students per year!

20-03-2004
offline.

Oh... PS, about FIT... if you dont already live in the city ... dont rely much on the school to provide housing for you. They only guarantee one year of dorming... you're allowed one extra year of dorming, but you have to enter a lottery to get it.. and the chances of that aren't very good if you're DEPENDING on them for a definite place to live.

But dorming at FIT sucks anyways, I'm glad i have my apartment.

20-03-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by fashionaddict1@Mar 20th, 2004 - 10:39 pm
The most important thing when deciding on a college course is to visit the college's and see if they suit your style and ambitions

Its better to pick the best course for you and not just pick the most famous college

St Martins isn't actually that selective - I think they now have about 120 students per year!
i so agree in everything you said here fashionaddict

st Martins is not that selective at all, i know people that were accepted even while they were certainly not worth it.
as on acid's comment, i'd say Saint Martins is VERY good for internships in the best fashion houses, that and the whole sm hype is good enough reason for someone to enroll, but personally the school wasn't my cup of tea when (years ago) i was searching for fashion school in London.

if i started today, i'd choose either the begian or the dutch fashion academy,
they are very supportive and push students towards being open minded and creative.

good luck with your applications Mutterlein

20-03-2004
V.I.P.

does any oen knwo abotu studio bercot? From what i ahev heard it soudns amazing, liek a perfect palce for me. But i woudl leik to knwo more, their website is a bit vague.

20-03-2004
etre soi-meme

studio bercot absolutely rocks but you will need to learn French space.

and it would be super if you could move to Paris,
then we could finally meet

20-03-2004
rising star

As far as NYC goes, Parsons *seems* to outdo FIT. While it is true that it is expensive, they have wonderful facilities and opportunities available for international students. They also make huge emphasis on academic potential, not just your design skills. I felt that my portfolio was good and varied; combined with my very strong academic record (I worked way too hard in high school) I'm not paying one single red cent for Parsons, nor will I have to pay back any loans at all once I graduate.

They have really awesome resources including connections to some of the best design houses in America. A long standing relationship with Central St. in the UK will allow you to be able to do a semester or a year there if you choose; you can also spend time on the Parsons campus in Paris. The education makes emphasis on the design skills that you will need to work in the industry but it's also crossed with a very strong artistic, color sense program that also prepares you technology wise with digital design and so on and so forth.

The thing I liked the most about it is the reputation it's developing in NY with young designers(Proenza Schouler) as well as the new guard (Marc Jacobs, Narcisso Rodriguez) as well as the well established (Donna Karan, Badgley Mischka). It also seems to be a place where you can do what you'd like; the harder you work, the more opportunities will be there though luck and good looks can get you far too (it's no Parsons secret that Proenza S. almost flunked out and cheated on their Parsons final project).

If I were to pursue something overseas, Belgium seems to be the place to focus, no?

20-03-2004
etre soi-meme

Belgium and Amsterdam as well

20-03-2004
fashion icon

Thank you all very much. It has been very helpful. I think my priority now is to get into FIT, St. Martins, and Parsons in that order due to costs. I would prefer to study in germany, belgium, or the netherlands but I am not proficient enough in any of the languages to study there.

Datura, is there a lot of fiancial aid and scholarships at Parsons or do you have to be extremely talented or extremely rich to go there?

20-03-2004
rising star

There are many scholarships/financial aid for students. They hold benefits every year for the scholarship fund; there's one in May honoring Marc Jacobs. The best thing for you to do is to keep in contact with the admission office/financial aid office and then to apply as early as you can with the *strongest* possible portfolio. They have A Lot of international students from all over so their international program is strong, they are more than qualified to help you out with any of your concerns.

Essentially, if you give them something that's unique and really reflective of your own skills and they really want you, then they'll get you, they'll put the money up and make sure your housing is taken care of and so on and so forth. It is a competitive program but only because they get a lot of applications, not because all of those applications are from strong, creative students.

I was just as shocked as anyone when I got in and even more shocked when I saw how much money in scholarships they gave me to go there. It was well worth the chance and all the hard work and I'm sure if you're consistent and persistent, they'll accept you. It's not only for rich people, there are rich people there but it's not only for them.

20-03-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Mar 20th, 2004 - 1:49 pm
studio bercot absolutely rocks but you will need to learn French space.

and it would be super if you could move to Paris,
then we could finally meet
yes deffinetly, i speak a little french, but not anof but im planing to learn as much as I can, i really love the french language. I have always whanted to move to paris and I plan to, two of my best friends live in france and have ofered me to coem lvie with them, so I reallyw ahnt to. and i'd love to meet you to lena.

20-03-2004
windowshopping

What about Rhode Island School of Design? They have an apparel design program:

http://www.risd.edu/apparel.cfm

Nicole Miller went there.

It's not cheap as far as tuition, but I don't think that the room and board would be as bad an NYC.

20-03-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by rengirl2000@Mar 20th, 2004 - 8:02 pm
What about Rhode Island School of Design? They have an apparel design program:

http://www.risd.edu/apparel.cfm

Nicole Miller went there.

It's not cheap as far as tuition, but I don't think that the room and board would be as bad an NYC.
they are nto abd from what i hear, I they liked my portfolio.

20-03-2004
windowshopping

I have a BS in fashion merchandising/management degree from FIT, and now im working on my portfolio for admissions for the fashion design program for the same school.

I loved FIT for the location, location, location, cost, reputation, and most of the employers out there in the real world tend to hire FIT alumnis over others...
they offer internships from tommy hilfiger to donna karan, visits to so many showrooms and design studios. THey have the best fashion library in the city, i still have access to it as an alumni. Just browsing through ORIGINAL vogue magazines from 1956 or 1921, provides enough inspiration for my creativity...
They also have a library of original apparel with pieces made from up to 100 years ago. what i hated about FIT was the 'high school' atmosphere of it, snobby girls, and zero school spirit.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, megathread, schools, tfs