How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

14-11-2005
scenester

Please help
am at my last year at school and i want a career in fashion as a designer or a stylist but what would be better staying on to do my A level and then going on to to university or going to college and then going to Saint Martins? am really confused about Sainty Martins being a college or a uni? please help!!!
I live ion the uk is there any other fashion colleges or unis you know about?

14-11-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesrules815
I got accepted into Philidelphia University!
awesome! i know a bunch of people that do fashion design there. enjoy!!

15-11-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTart55
Guys I really need help. I just got accepted into a private university that offers fashion marketting as a specialization of Business Administration. I really wanted to go to that school, but what I really care about is which degree is going to help me out more in the industry. Would it be better for me to attend that university and specialize in fashion marketting, or to go to the Art Institute in miami and actually major in fashion merchandising?

Thank you so much to anyone who answers.
art institute schools are a joke. Avoid them.

Check out the private school's program, ask them about placement, look at the courses and compare them to what employers ask for in job descriptions.

If you want to do merchandising or marketting I would try going to the Fashion Institute of Technology. (it'll be cheaper than a private school in the long run).

Last edited by Mutterlein; 15-11-2005 at 10:11 AM.

15-11-2005
kem
scenester

Art institute Schools
Does anyone have good feedback on The Art INstitute schools? Do u know of anyone who has attended it and graduated?? what about job placements??

15-11-2005
windowshopping

Mutterlein, thanks so much, I've actually had several people tell me art institute schools aren't all they're cracked up to be but it's good to hear it from someone whos informed int he fashion aspect. I will definitely look into FIT. Thank you thank you

16-11-2005
windowshopping

has anyone who applied for spring at FIT heard back from the school yet or know when they will hear some feedback? thanks!

18-11-2005
windowshopping

Not really sure if this is the wright forum for my question, Im a bit new. I have applied to CSM and I got a interview...over the phone though. And I just wanted to know what I have to expect? Has anyone done a interview with them? and what kind of questions do they ask?
Getting a bit worried cas its on monday . Thanks!!!!

18-11-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kem
Does anyone have good feedback on The Art INstitute schools? Do u know of anyone who has attended it and graduated?? what about job placements??
The last guy I met who went to one is a truck driver now.

Be sure not confuse the School of Art Institute of Chicago with the AI franchise schools. Unlike the franchise schools it it one of the best art schools in the country and has a fairly developed fashion program, leaning more towards the conceptual part.

18-11-2005
windowshopping

Can any of you recommend any fashion design programs in San Francisco?

19-11-2005
front row

wow thanks for all the help guys. Im glad that those of you who go to either of the schools are so willing to give advice to prospective students.

20-11-2005
rising star

that's a nice way to make friends with potential industry contacts...

I think the reason noone answered you is because the fashion school thread has the information you are asking for and lately people have been posting questions like yours instead of just reading through the thread like the rest of us had to do.

20-11-2005
backstage pass

still lifes, 3d stuff, some photoshop stuff showing that you know some of the programs, figure drawing, expressionist stuff, and stuff that shows that you know things about color theory and light theory.
those would all be perfect things to put in your portfolio.

21-11-2005
kem
scenester

fashion schools in canada
Will someone recommend any fashion schools in canada that is internationally recognized besides Ryerson. And, if so would it give me the opportunity to work in the united states and overseas? Is it necessary to have a bachelor's degree to work in fashion in the united states???? I really would like to study design but my skills in sewing are basic , my drawing skills are great , im also learning pattern making. I will try all schools mentioned and send a portfolio i am just worried that if i get a diploma i won't be able to work i n the states.

22-11-2005
V.I.P.

Kem,

For a Canadian to work in the US ... permanent residency and a "green card", like I have, would be required. There are a few occasions that you can be granted a visa to work ... but you'd have to be successfully working at your carreer already in Canada so you can proove that you have the skills for the job you take that cannot be done by a US citizen. This is what they look for: things like if you were an established designer with your own line or already designing for a Canadian line for a specified amount of time and a US company wanted to hire you. The hiring company would make a case on your behalf that they needed your specific creative talents and that you have been successful in Canada ...you have to proove that you are actively working and making money in your creative fied.

In either case, it's a long and difficult process ... not something that you'd do just for a year or two ... it would have to be a permanent move or only after you had reached a successful level in your carreer.

I would go to this "Homeland Security", Citizenship and Immigration Services site to see what the requirement are, before you decide on your career and where you can work. http://uscis.gov/graphics/

22-11-2005
kem
scenester

Applyihg to schools in NY
Ok i was looking at your responses and I am wondering , If a canadian student has completed high school and college , do u still have to w rite the SAT ?

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, megathread, schools, tfs