How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

20-03-2004
offline.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sofi@Mar 20th, 2004 - 11:16 pm
I have a BS in fashion merchandising/management degree from FIT, and now im working on my portfolio for admissions for the fashion design program for the same school.

I loved FIT for the location, location, location, cost, reputation, and most of the employers out there in the real world tend to hire FIT alumnis over others...
they offer internships from tommy hilfiger to donna karan, visits to so many showrooms and design studios. THey have the best fashion library in the city, i still have access to it as an alumni. Just browsing through ORIGINAL vogue magazines from 1956 or 1921, provides enough inspiration for my creativity...
They also have a library of original apparel with pieces made from up to 100 years ago. what i hated about FIT was the 'high school' atmosphere of it, snobby girls, and zero school spirit.

Hahaha.. Yes, Sofi. I see the Snobby girls daily.

That's one thing i hate about FIT... but I guess that's what you get when you go to fashion school.... sometimes.

20-03-2004
fashion icon

Thanks again you all! Both Sofi and Datura have eased some worries I was having. whew!

21-03-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Mar 20th, 2004 - 3:49 pm

and it would be super if you could move to Paris,
then we could finally meet
i will go to paris one day

i hope we can meet too

21-03-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Mar 21st, 2004 - 1:23 am
Belgium and Amsterdam as well
amsterdam?

next year i'll be studying at the fashion school in arnhem (the one where viktor & rolf went to). is the amsterdam one really better?

21-03-2004
etre soi-meme

not sure which is the best of the two, are they both connected to the Dutch Fashion Foundation? is Anherm anywhere near Amsterdam?

in anycase Dutch art & fashion schools are on the rise in europe,
there is much talk they are also organising the first Dutch fashion week
sometime later this year

21-03-2004
trendsetter

I've attended both FIT and Parsons and preferred Parsons over FIT, I got all my internships and the best professors from Parsons. Although Vassilios of FIT wanted me to stay I did not like the factory and chaotic feel. Anyways I will be moving to Milano next week to work for a famous Italian company and will be attending Instituto Marangiomi in the summer per my company. I think all in all the lesson I learn is you have to learn to make lemonade from lemons and it is all up to you not every school is for everyone, and lack of money should not stop you from trying to attend. I have always been pushed to remember to learn as much as you can, because even from the best schools can still produce horrible designers.

21-03-2004
offline.

You know Vasilios, Oria?

You were in accessories?

21-03-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by luna@Mar 21st, 2004 - 12:02 pm
You know Vasilios, Oria?

You were in accessories?
Yes I know him, and I am a shoe designer. And yes I started in accessories but was very disappointed and went to Parsons soon after. Although do not have a program that focuses on accessories they taught me more than I felt FIT did or ever could.

21-03-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by Oria@Mar 21st, 2004 - 5:58 pm
. Anyways I will be moving to Milano next week to work for a famous Italian company and will be attending Instituto Marangiomi in the summer per my company.
oria, thats fantastic news, i guess you will have the pleasure meeting our FS Milano 'link' while in town.

btw, who is this Vassilios?
he sounds very greek to me, i would be interested , maybe have an interview with him let me know please

21-03-2004
offline.

He's a crazy instructor at FIT. He's great. and Yes... Very Greek. His last name is pronouncable, but I'm afraid to attempt spelling it.

Oria.. FIT now has a Bachelor's program in accessories. I'm very happy with it. I guess each person gets something different out of it... I make shoes, but my focus is mainly on handbags...

21-03-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena+Mar 21st, 2004 - 12:18 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Mar 21st, 2004 - 12:18 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Oria@Mar 21st, 2004 - 5:58 pm
. Anyways I will be moving to Milano next week to work for a famous Italian company and will be attending Instituto Marangiomi in the summer per my company.
oria, thats fantastic news, i guess you will have the pleasure meeting our FS Milano 'link' while in town.

btw, who is this Vassilios?
he sounds very greek to me, i would be interested , maybe have an interview with him let me know please [/b][/quote]
yes i will! i can not wait she is very nice so now i feel better to have more friends or fashion ones

Yes Vassilios is greek, I will send him an e-mail for you and send you a private message. He is nice and funny and very honest

21-03-2004
etre soi-meme

what does he teach?

i'd really like to contact him for an interview
if anyone has a contact for him, please please let me know

21-03-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by luna@Mar 21st, 2004 - 12:41 pm
He's a crazy instructor at FIT. He's great. and Yes... Very Greek. His last name is pronouncable, but I'm afraid to attempt spelling it.

Oria.. FIT now has a Bachelor's program in accessories. I'm very happy with it. I guess each person gets something different out of it... I make shoes, but my focus is mainly on handbags...
that is good, but I have a bachelors already from parsons and again as I have said all school are different but I feel personally that parsons is much better in fact we just beat FIT in something again I forget the award

I am always having this debate but I feel strongly that you get more attention at parsons maybe it is because of the fees but to me a designer needs room to be creative as well still learn the ins and outs of the fashion business. I did not care much about who graduated because to be honest some of them are not so great but I do care to skills and the ability to implement those skills in my designs and what I already knew.

And to be honest FIT and Parsons (to me) do not have a strong hold on the accesories world, the shoes can not be realised outside of a sandal or stiletto but a pump no because neither have the machine so for there I would say Cordwainers, now there or in Italy is where the illustration comes alive. But I wanted all the fashion because I have never seen the shoes or other accesories as a separate entity but part of the entire look.

21-03-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Mar 21st, 2004 - 12:48 pm
what does he teach?

i'd really like to contact him for an interview
if anyone has a contact for him, please please let me know
I am sending you his e-mail and phone numbers @ FIT.

21-03-2004
front row

Spacemiu - i'm planning on going to Studio Bercot next year. I talked with Emel Kurhan (one of Yazbukey's designers) about which school to go for fash. design and she highly recommended Studio Bercot. She and her sister also went to that school and Emel is also now one of the teachers there.

Studio Bercot is a 3-year-programme school. It's actually a 2 year shool. Last year is for apprenticeship which is a great opportunity i think. she said they encourage students very much to find their style.

French is also an obstacle in my way. i started taking French lessons already but i don't know if i'll be ready by September.

their website is really a shame. you should e-mail them for information and stuff.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, megathread, schools, tfs