Visual Arts and Graphic Design Schools - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-07-2005
V.I.P.

Visual Arts and Graphic Design Schools
Rhode Island School of Design

http://www.risd.edu/

* again any posts that need to be moved please do

Last edited by BetteT; 22-07-2008 at 04:47 PM.
19-09-2005
scenester

what's this post for?

20-09-2005
V.I.P.

I thought it would be helpful to create threads to talk about specific fashion schools. this way people who attend risd or are looking to apply have a place to touch base.

do you go to risd?

21-09-2005
about to fall or fly

i don't go to risd and never did, however i thought very very seriously about it for a while, and went to visit. i fell in love with it, but wasn't in a place personally to commit to it (moving from california, not sure what i was going to study, etc). it's a beautiful school, i love providence, and now that i'm more grown up and have a better idea of what i'm doing, i'd definitely give it more thought. might not for fashion specifically though...photography, maybe, or curation/styling.

has/does anyone gone/go to risd? thanks for bringing the link/discussion in travolta

V.I.P.

welcomefrancesca. what school do you attend?

i really like providence as well. yes, i went to risd, but i didn't major in fashion. i think as far as the fashion program goes it's very craft, technically oriented. i think it's a lesser version of the antwerp royal academy in terms of it's teaching philosophy from what i know of that school. the program isn't as slick or business oriented as say parsons or even st. martins. i think it teaches good fundamentals and is respected by designers, for instance alber elbaz loves risd students. however, if i'm not sure if risd would be my first choice for a fashion program... i think i'd try to do a study abroad somewhere else and take other apparel classes on top of it.

21-09-2005
about to fall or fly

i have a fine art degree in photography from a university in san francisco..i graduated last year.

i'm really not sure what i'd want to study if i go there, but i'm just sort of in love with providence so i want to make up some excuse! i might just do another bachelors or something. thanks for the information !

V.I.P.

no prob. how did you like the university of san francisco?

what about providence do you love? i think it's a very pretty city, quirky, crooked and fairly liberal. i miss new england, esp. right now in the fall <sigh>

i don't know a lot about the photography program. i could ask someone what they thought of it for you... i think the textile department is pretty strong, so is furniture. printmaking always seemed like a pretty cool department. any of the more craft oriented majors would be a good bet: ceramics, glass, jewelry... i know the industrial design is stronger for it's grad program than undergrad, because it's very process oriented, and less slick and business savvy in comparison to other schools.

anyways, if you have any other questions feel free to shoot!

12-06-2006
fashion elite

Graphic Design Schools?
Hey! I'm very interested in going to school for Graphic/Communications Design..what are good schools for this? I live in NYS so I know FIT would be very conveinent, it's a state school and all, but I'd love to just get out of the ordinary and experience something brand new..I was thinking Central St. Martins? but I don't know if that's a good/practical school for what I want to do. Any idea/suggestions/input/advice?!

12-06-2006
front row

Academy of Art University, San Francisco (you'd be well paid getting a graphic design job in SanFran)

California Institute of the Arts, Valencia

Parsons is in state, as is Pratt, and both are excellent.

Rhode Island School of Design is currently ranked #1.

13-06-2006
More Old Skool Than You

I'm going to say you might be better off at a community college. I'm tens of thousands of dollars in the hole now and only because I decided to go to a school for it's name.

Your potential is not based on your school or even your teachers, but your desire to push yourself. I also believe that you can't teach someone how design should work, it's in you and there's no formula to it. And honestly, the caliber of work from other schools as all the same, if you're good, you're good. The only thing that matters is your portfolio in the end, not where it came from.

I don't mean to sound negative, I'm just trying to save you cash and heartache. Whatever you choose, give it your all.

fashion elite

Thanks for the advice both of you!! And fourboltmain you don't sound negative at all to me, just truthful, so thank you for that. We have a few schools around here that are known for having very good graphic design programs, one is actually very highly ranked (or so my parents told me). I'll be taking courses there for college credit this summer, so I'll get a feel for it and all. Thanks so much.

15-06-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterak

California Institute of the Arts, Valencia
CalArts student graphic work is so good

scenester

If you are honestly interested in graphic design, you don't need to go to an art school. and i honestly strongly advised that you stay away from an art school if you want to do graphic design, if and only if you're not going to be attending the best art/design school for graphic design.

I say this because by going to an art/design school you're very limited to just being in an environment where you are around design/art students 24/7. and if you don't mind just being involved in design and art 24/7 then go for it, otherwise, it gets sickening and you just might end up turn off. That and art schools don't give big financial aid packages, as do regular universities. And in all honesty it is not worth getting into debt 100K just to go to a school and major in something that won't guarantee you a job. (they're more graphic designers available in todays market than needed)

while if you go to a major/regular university such as Carnegie Mellon University in Pennsylvania, who offers one of the best programs in the country, you have freedom to take more classes within regards to your liberal arts, and i honestly believe you get a more well rounded education, because you meet people from majors outside of design fields, and these people can become very beneficial if you end up changing your career in the future.

26-08-2006
front row

Raffles Design Institute
I am beginning to grow desperate for a way into education in fashion and I have hit upon the Raffles Design Institute. I am currently looking for feedback and comments regarding anyone who's studied at, applied for, or heard about the school before - especially the branches in Singapore and Sydney (especially Sydney).

I'm actually considering it because it seems I do not need 'A'Levels. I am, however, not sure if there really is such a good thing on Earth, so I thought I'd check to be on the safe side.

Couture isn't meant to be worn. It's supposed to be assembled.
05-09-2006
windowshopping

Yeah I've heard of Raffles Design Institute. I actually looked into it as an option after I finished my high school, and I know a bit about it since I'm a local in Singapore.

It's a really professional school. The building is really modern and they are really helpful.

So far, the designs that I have seen the students of Raffles produce are much better than the other works of students from other schools , so I guess that gives one an idea on the design education that Raffles provides (They stress a lot on design and technique). Of all the fashion/design schools in Singapore, I have the most faith in Raffles in that they have the capability in the education of fashion.

I hope that helps. And good luck!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
arts, design, graphic, schools, visual