How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-05-2008
V.I.P.

Vice President

05-05-2008
rising star

Seriously, I have a hard time understanding those salaries. The minimum wage in Denmark is about USD 40K - that's for a 37 hour work week cleaning the streets and stuff like that. I have fellow students in college who are 20-21 years old, working part time about 15 hours a week in fashion PR making USD 20K+ a year - that's without any education in that line of work what so ever ... I'm applying for a job in fashion PR and I'll be dissapointed with a salary below USD 25-30 / hour... my ex girl friend worked a some random shoe store here in Copenhagen. Her salary started at USD 50K for a 37 hour work week. I hope I'm not offending you, but I seriously can't understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc jacobs addict View Post
I interned and later freelanced for a luxury fashion brand. Salaries were as follows:

Starting PR assistant: $32K
PR director (although she turned it in house): $64K
VP: $90K
Production manager: $42K
Executive assistant (assistant to President): $38K
Head designer: $46K

All of their salaries (aside from the starting PR assistant) are based on them being with the company for over a year... But most entry level positions will be between $30-$35K

Last edited by 5-Hour man; 05-05-2008 at 05:13 PM.
05-05-2008
princely

Honestly, those wages look about right. I don't work in fashion, but those are completely realistic in the US at least. It's possible that Denmark holds higher earning, as some countries average wages are alot higher.

I've been wondering though, what salary range do buyers generally hove around? I know it varies but does anyone know any general number?

05-05-2008
Unveil Yourself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-Hour man View Post
Seriously, I have a hard time understanding those salaries. The minimum wage in Denmark is about USD 40K - that's for a 37 hour work week cleaning the streets and stuff like that. I have fellow students in college who are 20-21 years old, working part time about 15 hours a week in fashion PR making USD 20K+ a year - that's without any education in that line of work what so ever ... I'm applying for a job in fashion PR and I'll be dissapointed with a salary below USD 25-30 / hour... my ex girl friend worked a some random shoe store here in Copenhagen. Her salary started at USD 50K for a 37 hour work week. I hope I'm not offending you, but I seriously can't understand it.
Those are seriously high ammounts for such 'simple' (don't wanna offend anyone) jobs....If we're talking USD, here in Holland you earn about 25K a year doing those jobs. Perhaps even less. The ammounts that mja posted actually surprised me for being so high...

twitter.com/ErikP87
05-05-2008
fashion icon

MJA's are high. PR does not pay 25-30USD an hour unless you're the head of the in-house pr. No. Way.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc jacobs addict View Post
I interned and later freelanced for a luxury fashion brand. Salaries were as follows:

Starting PR assistant: $32K
PR director (although she turned it in house): $64K
VP: $90K
Production manager: $42K
Executive assistant (assistant to President): $38K
Head designer: $46K

All of their salaries (aside from the starting PR assistant) are based on them being with the company for over a year... But most entry level positions will be between $30-$35K

I don't know who you worked for but some of those figures are correct.

A production manager would never accept a job at 42K.

A head designer?? At 46K?? That would never happen. 46K is more appropriate for a junior level designer. Granted, I worked for a major brand and maybe they were more generous, but a head designer would make close to 80K than 46K.

TWITTER:
05-05-2008
fashion icon

Quote:
Those are very high salaries - but I suppose it's because of different countries.

In Australia as a sales assistant full time (38 hours a week) you'll be earning AU$35K, which is about AU$30K, and from what I've heard Australian salaries are far more generous than in the US (min wage there is under US$6 per hour, whereas in Australia depending on the industry, it's about AU$15-20 I believe - about US$12-18). On the whole I think also the USA has a lower cost of living.

05-05-2008
V.I.P.

Well, I've heard that Denmark enjoys the highest standard of living in the world ... which is probably helped by these higher salaries. But then you have to factor in taxes and other expenses ... like rent, food, etc. to determine if those figures in Denmark are that high, in comparison.

06-05-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Well, I've heard that Denmark enjoys the highest standard of living in the world ... which is probably helped by these higher salaries. But then you have to factor in taxes and other expenses ... like rent, food, etc. to determine if those figures in Denmark are that high, in comparison.
I guess so. Our taxes on income are insane, but then again - we don't have to pay for health care/insurance, education and stuff like that - so for someone with an average income, it pretty much evens out the high taxes. But that's another topic all together. I'm still surprised though. What's the average income for a lawyer or an engineer?

EDIT: Oh, and by the way. Does MJA's wages include 'prepaid' health insurance and stuff like that?

Last edited by 5-Hour man; 06-05-2008 at 05:19 AM.
06-05-2008
V.I.P.

They are based in the US ... so yes ... you can be sure that full time employees get benefits ... health insurance, dental insurance, paid vacation days, possibly retirement plans and other benefits . They figure that it costs the employer about 25% to 33% in addition to the wage to provide these things for their employees. Since the goverment does not provide ... the employer must.

06-05-2008
princely

Quote:
I guess so. Our taxes on income are insane, but then again - we don't have to pay for health care/insurance, education and stuff like that - so for someone with an average income, it pretty much evens out the high taxes. But that's another topic all together. I'm still surprised though. What's the average income for a lawyer or an engineer?

EDIT: Oh, and by the way. Does MJA's wages include 'prepaid' health insurance and stuff like that?
For a lawyer coming out of a top 14 school, ie Harvard, NYU, Columbia etc, i've seen averages that run around 90-130, 000 depending on the job for the first year. Though it depends on the job and firm you work for.

07-05-2008
rising star

@ BetteT/yourbestfriend.

If those salaries include all those benefits, then they make way more sense to me. But I'm still surprised that a lawyer makes so much more. Oh well...

scenester

Fashion Assistant Salary
Salut!
Does anybody knows how much (mostly in Paris) fashion assistant earn a month?

scenester

not much! i'm assuming they make like $25,000-$30,000 a year? i'm pulling that figure out of my butt so i am not positive but i know they aren't making a lot.

25-06-2008
scenester

^^
Quote:
$25,000-$30,000 a year?
OMG are u sure?
for 30,000 $ a year, i won't even pay for apartment rent in Paris
I've heard that they won't pay for 1-2 months at the beginnig, but if they'll like your designs they'll pay about 5000-7000 $ per month. ( i guess it was wrong info )

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
expect, fashion, industry, job, paid, starter