How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-06-2008
scenester

no i could be wrong too! i just went by anna wintour's assistant who apparently makes either $30,000 or $40,000 i just know it is barely enough to cover rent...

25-06-2008
scenester

thanks Mode..
Quote:
i just know it is barely enough to cover rent...
hope so..

Is here anybody who works in Paris as assistant ?

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mode View Post
not much! i'm assuming they make like $25,000-$30,000 a year? i'm pulling that figure out of my butt so i am not positive but i know they aren't making a lot.
That's right. A direct assistant working with a editor in chief or designer get paid very generously. An assist in Paris would be making 25 000-30 000 a year, which is pretty typical for an inner city assistant. That is off course very hard earned money since assisting someone at the top of the ladder can be a very challenging and stressful job.

scenester

^
Quote:
That is off course very hard earned money since assisting someone at the top of the ladder can be a very challenging and stressful job.
Exactly! That's why i wonder....30,000 a year is too low for this job.

front row

Does anyone in London know how much an assistant gets paid, l cant think its much, but would love someone to confirm this!!

25-06-2008
backstage pass

^^
Visit totaljobs.com, search the desired job and you shall find the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikousha View Post
^

Exactly! That's why i wonder....30,000 a year is too low for this job.
Depends on from what angle you look at it. Unlike a traditional profession higher education is rarely a prerequisite for becoming an assistant.

Although important all an assist tend to do is juggle many small tasks at the simultaneously like maintaining diaries, rescheduling meetings, photocopying, booking flight tickets and other things taking the load of their boss who can then focus on doing their job rather than maintaining it.

scenester

^^
I've finished a Academy of Arts with bachelors degree, i had few shoes collections, now i'm moving to Paris..to get more practice in fashion studios, but ofcourse i should work to get some cash cause Paris is quite expensive city..

How many assistants are working for one fashion house?And how many hours per day?

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikousha View Post
^^
I've finished a Academy of Arts with bachelors degree, i had few shoes collections, now i'm moving to Paris..to get more practice in fashion studios, but ofcourse i should work to get some cash cause Paris is quite expensive city..

How many assistants are working for one fashion house?And how many hours per day?
Oh, my bad. I forgot that we're talking about fashion assistants here and not personal assistant. Either way there's no way to tell how many assistants there are in one fashion house. Assistants are hired when someone feels that their work load is too heavy for one person to handle. Every design house has an arsenal of assistant for each department. The main goal of becoming an assistant is usually to fill in the slot when you're boss leaves his/hers position.

How much you get paid tend to depend on the size of the company and the level of importance your position have. An assistant chief designer obviously gets a significantly higher salary than an assistant in the textile/fabric department. Experience weigh a lot when it comes to salary.

scenester

^^
Thanks anyway..
Quote:
How much you get paid tend to depend on the size of the company and the level of importance your position have. An assistant chief designer obviously gets a significantly higher salary than an assistant in the textile/fabric department. Experience weigh a lot when it comes to salary.
Yeah and about experience, as i said i had few shoes collections, so I'm good in shoes construction also i know clothes construction too but not as well as shoes.

backstage pass

Here's a good question. How does anyone who works in the entry level fashion industry jobs survive in NY. As most people have said, the salary barely covers rent. So how do pay for other things like food and clothing? Is everyone drowning in debt?

29-06-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick14 View Post
Here's a good question. How does anyone who works in the entry level fashion industry jobs survive in NY. As most people have said, the salary barely covers rent. So how do pay for other things like food and clothing? Is everyone drowning in debt?
My guess, from talking with people I know who move there for their modeling careers .... they don't live in Manhattan ... move to NJ or Brooklyn and other outlying areas and commute in on the subway. And they bunk up with a lot of friends to share expenses.

Last edited by BetteT; 06-07-2008 at 09:41 PM.
03-07-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick14 View Post
Here's a good question. How does anyone who works in the entry level fashion industry jobs survive in NY.
Same as in any other big metropolitan. House/flat sharing right outside the city core. You don't have to live on Manhattan or on right outside central park. Not very difficult to survive in big city if you're willing to compromise.

Last edited by homeboy; 03-07-2008 at 05:17 PM.
03-07-2008
Margiela's Muse

A 40k salary will cover rent pretty well in NYC (let's say your rent is $2k per month + utilities). A 30k salary would be much harder to live on.

04-07-2008
front row

yes, and how can you become an assistant?

06-07-2008
scenester

For technical design, the starting rate is around $25K (in general, though it does fluctuate). Right now, with the economy and retail in bad shape, it's going to be tough entering the field at this time at a high salary, a lot of places are cutting back their staff which means that there is a lot of supply and little demand, so the employers are in better shape than the employees, and negotiating a better salary is tougher now than it was, say 3 years ago. I don't know how accounting would be, since CitiGroup and Bear Sterns and other financial companies have laid off so many people, all those people will be looking for a job at the same time as you are, so the starting salary in a financial area of any company might be bleak (I have a friend in finance who has been looking for a job for 6 months and there is very little out there), whether it's within the fashion industry or outside of the industry. I'm sorry to have such bad news, I wish the economy was better.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
expect, fashion, industry, job, paid, starter