How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-08-2012
Amour Comme Hiver

Digging up this old thread to ask... is it generally a better climate out there for buyers? I'd love to do fashion journalism or PR, but, alas, I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth :p .

06-08-2012
I don't know

^It usually depends on where you work and how big your responsibility is. Some buyers make sh*t, and some make really well. PR can pay quite well, but it's extremely time and energy consuming and the one thing you always have to ask yourself before going into PR is: Are you really up for it?.. You really have to be a specific type of person for that line of work.

Loved going through this thread, even if it's a bit disheartening. The salary was actually the main reason why I didn't continue pursuing a career in fashion. I did it part time while studying but quiet immediately after. There are so many other factors that play in to making it in this world rather than real talent and work ethic. Just thinking about the amount of networking that has to be done was enough to put me off.

The more I saw and learned, the more I realized I would probably end up hating fashion if I made a career out of it.

Still admire those who do <3

Last edited by saann; 06-08-2012 at 02:24 PM.
13-08-2012
Amour Comme Hiver

^ Really interesting perspective- will I love it as much if I do it? In a way, I feel the way about fashion that actors say you should feel about acting: because it's such a heartbreaking, time consuming, and, more often than not, totally unprofitable vocation, you really have to feel like there is no other career in the world that would make you happy.

Simpler put, the way I describe it to my friends at my liberal arts college: it's Wall Street hours with McDonalds pay

24-08-2012
Fly my pretties... Fly!

I'm just thinking about the latest situation in regards to PR Internships in London. Are they paid now? If so, is it roughly around 18-20k? Or am I dreaming?

24-08-2012
backstage pass

wake up

25-08-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisie View Post
I'm just thinking about the latest situation in regards to PR Internships in London. Are they paid now? If so, is it roughly around 18-20k? Or am I dreaming?
As a fashion journo doing an internship in London with lots of grad friends in PR, I would say they do exist but they are far and few between!

First of all you have to filter through all the ones which only pay for expenses (they pay for your travel...to get where? The house you can't afford because you're being paid in sandwiches) and look for ones with an actual salary.

But even then 18-20k is probably a bit higher, think more 14k-16k is a bit more realistic starting salary at the moment, just from personal experience, doesn't mean they don't exist. One of my grad friends is on 23K!!

Just got to keep your eyes peeled and be ready to pounce. This is a good website for PR and journo jobs.

Best of luck finding something

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
expect, fashion, industry, job, paid, starter