How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-06-2006
windowshopping

so basically be an art director and have zero free-time? And it's a 5% chance of landing great jobs with a good salary? Might be too risky for me :/ Any other jobs that are similar to art directing but less crazy?

29-06-2006
front row

^didn't mean to scare you off, that is of course if you want to become a super-successful star-AD. There are tons of "less cool" but nevertheless great positions that also pays well... every single magazine has an art director after all...

You could also consider being a graphic designer, webdesigner, prop/set designer, illustrator, animator, director... there are thousands of options...

But generally , yes, creative jobs are crazy if you want success and $$$

windowshopping

thanks

02-07-2006
chaos reigns

Hum ... so is this affirmation correct:

art director : advertising :: stylist : fashion ?

backstage pass

interesting thread! thanks Kimair for that description! I think it answered alot of what i was looking for =)

how many people are usually on the team?

windowshopping

ok but does the AD commission illustrations or is it the associate AD?

21-08-2006
windowshopping

Do you think majoring in photography during college would help to become an art director?

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine
Hum ... so is this affirmation correct:

art director : advertising :: stylist : fashion ?
Almost, but not really, f.ex if it's a advertising campaign the art director is also responsible for picking the stylist. But you could say that the art director has the equal role as a stylist has for a fashion show = come up with a theme, choose who to work with, coordinating, taking all aestethic desicions, make sure everything looks good in the end etc.

I think it differs from place to place how rigid the hierarchy is, in some places the associate ad has just as much to say about the choice of illustrator. But traditionally that is the art directors' choice.

A major in photography could certainly help, but the obvious choice would be marketing/communication or graphic design (if you want to work for a magazine) I think...

front row

Ok, I found this interview of David Hägglund who is the Art Director at Paris Vogue. Very interesting insights.

Please excuse my awful translation... hope you at least understand the most of it.

//How does a regular day at work look like?

I have four designers that help me with the design of the magazine. Then I work with the fashion department to take the pictures: everything from choosing the right photographer, to pick the the location for the shoot. I talk with the editorial office, how to illustrate, who should take the photos. If we are using old pictures I work with a photo editor. It's France so everything isn't so super organised and people are never on time. Our departments responsibility is to make sure that people deliver their things in time. And to plan so that the shootings are made in time, so that we'll have time to do the retouch. And in the middle of this we do the layout. My feeling is that on a monthly magazine it is only one week that is very unstressful.

More?

Yes, and then I approve all Chromas (a high quality photographic proof from the printers, where colors and pictures are exactly as they will be when printed).

Real old-fashion chromas?

Yes, it becomes two, three rounds for each page. It take approximately two hours a day. I change colors and contrast to make it exactly as the photograher have wanted.

How do your designers work?

Three designers work with the front section. They make their pages and then i approve them. The rest I do together with Fabien (Baron). The editorials, the big interviews is there. 80-100 pages of back section. From that 50-60 pages are fashion. And one job on art, and one on a celebrity or actor. That part is the most expensive one.

How is the relation to US Vogue?

Condé Nast is very deconcentrated, The collaboration between the editions is non-existent.

Is it a rivality?

Yes, it's a rivality about both advertisers and photographers. Chinese Vogue may buy directly from us or from US, but I think it ends there. It's very different from Elle, where I think it's the opposite.

Describe the design of Vogue

It's very consequent, not flattering at all. Elle is much more girly, more target group adjusted, they make a design they assume appeals to the reader. Vogue is designed from an aesthetic perspective more than a target group perspective. We try to be very exclusive. In that word there may be a little of excluding too. It's not nice, not sweet, not friendly. No, it's pretty elitistic. And consequent. It should be top of the line. It should be impossible for a very expensive product to not advertise in Vogue.

Is the atmosphere at work, elitistic and excluding?

The ones who have worked with this for a long time might not be the most down to earth people. But it's surprisingly hearthy.//

interview from vassaeggen.se

etre soi-meme

great interview, thanks for sharing

11-04-2007
backstage pass

so has anyone here had experience as an art director for a magazine? what did you get your degree in and how did you get to where you're at?

11-04-2007
i'm almost ready..

thanks for translating + posting that angie...
very interesting insight....

11-04-2007
front row

This may be off topic but i don´t know where else to ask this.. and it is this thread that got me thinking.

You know those fancy window displays? Who creates them? How would one get that kind of job... an art director of a store?

Because art director can really vary depending on what your talking about. Art Director in context of movies is very different to an Art Dir. of a fashion magazine...

12-04-2007
V.I.P.

I think it's called "Visual Merchandising" or sometimes, something like "Window Display Designer" Not an art director.

12-04-2007
front row

omgoodness im an art history major right now
and i've had my eye on the art director path for sometime
thanks to everyone for their insights!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, director