How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-04-2007
V.I.P.

..so, art history/graphics design would be a good choice for someone who wants to be an art director of a magazine, then?..

29-05-2007
trendsetter

Sorry, I have more questions about what to study! I was a fashion major at my old university but I transferred to a different school that doesn't have a fashion program. I am now in the art school of my university as a Visual Communications major. "When I grow up" I want to be either an art director, creative editor, fashion editor, or a combination of those jobs. Will visual communication prepare me well? It's a four year program and includes internships with design firms and that sort of thing. I'm just starting the program this fall though since I just transferred last semester and had to be accepted to the art school first. I have to take a slew of workshops this summer to learnhow to use illustrator and photoshoop and dreamweaver and all that stuff first because they don't tell you how to use it in the classes. You just have to know it and I don't. I guess what I'm most curious about is can I still work for a fashion magazine if my education is focused more on art and design? Because working in fashion publications is my ultimate goal.

stories everywhere

wow- that article was very interesting! I had a couple of things to add- My friend is a graphic designer and she was hired through her job at the newspaper where she builds ads to design the windows for hermes.

sometimes getting the job is just about who you know.

it isnt as though a lot of creative opportunities have linear developement, ie. you can't just go to college and hop out with no experience at all and walk into vogue and get hired to be art director. that only happens in movies. real life is harder. but if you want it, you just have to get out there and start.

trendsetter

^ That's so true. I mean not that I know from experience, but I think I keep asking these questions just for a bit of peace of mind while part of me knows that a big part of success in this industry is who you know and whether they like what you do. Very subjective. I guess the only thing to do is your best and do something that makes you happy and you love.

backstage pass

most of the art directors i know work for ad agencies/magazines/newspapers and have a graphic design background. many of them are also skilled at page design and layout.

06-06-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan. View Post
omgoodness im an art history major right now
and i've had my eye on the art director path for sometime
thanks to everyone for their insights!!
art history is definately not a typical degree for an AD. As said above graphic design is the way to go.
if you think about great ADs like Brodovitch, Baron, etc, they were/are great typographers. You have to have a great eye for images AND typography, which many seem to forget.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandefille View Post
ok but does the AD commission illustrations or is it the associate AD?
The AD and/or the photo editor commission illustrations, depending on the size of the mag. if the photo editor does the commission it is aproved by the AD.

windowshopping

Being an Art Director of a Fashion Magazine
I see alot of threads on the editorial part of Fashion Mags.. but not alot on the design work which goes into it.

and whats the difference between the Art Director and Creative Director?
Do they work hand in hand?

Does an Art Director get the chance to work in Fashion into their work.. (because I like many others LOVE FASHION)?

and also are there any perks as an Art Director?

and whats the average salary?

*WHEW* that was alot lol

But I think I might be on the right way.. right now im a BA Graphic Design major at CSM and Ive worked freelance pretty much my whole highschool/college life and right now im interning at a Fashion PR place.

so iono where else to go on from there?

Thanks Loves!

20-07-2008
tailored

merged with a previous existing topic...

to answer your question, an art director works on the visual layout for a magazine...they usually work with a creative director in determining the look of a magazine, including departments and editorials...
there are art directors at all kinds of magazines, from fashion to art to news to sports...
to become an art director, you usually start out by working as an assistant at a magazine or interning in the art department...
you usually have to work your way up, from associate/assistant art director to art director to creative director...
art directors at magazines typically make less than an art director at say a marketing firm or ad agency...

being a design major is definitely the right first step, as is the internship...
i'd say if you want to work at a magazine, you should try to get a job at a local mag...
i see you're in san francisco, so you could try 7x7, san francisco magazine, soma, etc.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimair View Post
merged with a previous existing topic...

to answer your question, an art director works on the visual layout for a magazine...they usually work with a creative director in determining the look of a magazine, including departments and editorials...
there are art directors at all kinds of magazines, from fashion to art to news to sports...
to become an art director, you usually start out by working as an assistant at a magazine or interning in the art department...
you usually have to work your way up, from associate/assistant art director to art director to creative director...
art directors at magazines typically make less than an art director at say a marketing firm or ad agency...

being a design major is definitely the right first step, as is the internship...
i'd say if you want to work at a magazine, you should try to get a job at a local mag...
i see you're in san francisco, so you could try 7x7, san francisco magazine, soma, etc.

thanks so much for the info and redirecting me to this thread!!! i totally couldnt find it after searching so much!

For a LONG time I was considering Advertising.. that was actually my first choice. But after growing up a bit and doing a bit of inner searching- I figured I love Magazines!! specially fashion magazines...

What would you say is the BIG difference between Adv and working at a Fashion Mag Publication... and I mean like... work wise/environment/clients/perks... cause i mean when you get older work tends to mean life.. and i just don't want my life too be.. well.. too boring.

(( also .. which would you say is the faster paced environment.. b/c magazines (depending on which) usually are monthly.. and adv has a different time constraint depending on media? ))

MUCHO GRACIAS!

xoJ

25-07-2008
tailored

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaganista View Post

What would you say is the BIG difference between Adv and working at a Fashion Mag Publication... and I mean like... work wise/environment/clients/perks... cause i mean when you get older work tends to mean life.. and i just don't want my life too be.. well.. too boring.

(( also .. which would you say is the faster paced environment.. b/c magazines (depending on which) usually are monthly.. and adv has a different time constraint depending on media? ))

MUCHO GRACIAS!

xoJ
when you're working at an advertising agency, it's fast paced but in a different way...instead of having one client, you can work on a variety of clients...
you're usually working on pitches for new clients, which can involve all-nighters, working weekends, etc. but you usually get paid more working in advertising...
it can also involve alot of travel, if you're art directing a shoot or working on a commercial...
there aren't alot of perks really, except winning awards...but it's also easier to get ahead and move up if you switch agencies...

working for a magazine is also fast paced, but because you're working to get out an issue each month, and you're also working a few months ahead of schedule (concepting fall stories in the early summer, etc)...
i imagine the perks are the same as others at the magazine, access to parties, freebies, etc., but again, the pay is lower, and the basic design of the magazine is the same every month...
you may just be filling content/images into a template in the beginning...

hope that answers your question...

V.I.P.

Creative / Art director
I tried to find a thread similar but could not find...

Anyway, I've been doing a bit of research and I think that I'd like to try and become a creative director, freelance or working for a company. I'm having trouble finding out a lot of info about this job, I've asked friends but people always presume I mean being a creative director at a magazine as an only job...obviously I'd love to work at a magazine, but I'll be realistic and I would like to work for cool brands anyway...

So basically I was looking for any info on this career, and if being a creative director is almost a branch from another career path, and what qualifications you'd need etc.

Also, is it linked to Art Direction? Thats another area of interest for me, could you link the two if you were freelance? Any info would be a great help...

Thanks (:

28-06-2009
V.I.P.

Can anyone update me with any info on becoming a Creative / Art Director.
Is Architecture a good degree course to study as it would be an backup alternative career. Thanks.

18-02-2010
backstage pass

I want to study graphic design to become an art director.. but in all the courses I found for graphic design are classes drawing and painting.. Are there any graphic design courses without these classes?

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie C View Post

Nowadays every mag has a Creative director too... that has even more power than the AD... and for that there is certainly no education... but it helps to have to have light narcissistic personality disorder
I'm in!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, director