How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-04-2005
V.I.P.

What makes a good male model?
this topic was discussed in a different thread, so i thought it appropriate to give it it's own spot on the fashion spot. since the "male eye candy" is mostly dedicated to . . .well. . . eye candy, i figured this would merit its own thread.

just a few questions i've wondered regarding male models:

who are the most influential and important male models ever?
what makes them so significant?
how come there aren't really many male SUPERmodels?
is it easier to break into the male modelling world than the female?
do male models have distinctive walks on the runway?
do any of them have dynamic walks? if so, who?

there are tons of posters here who like and appreciate male models, so i'm sure there'll be some great responses.

feel free to answer my questions and/or post your own!

15-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection

it's good if he's taller than the girl...:p

15-04-2005
scenester

Don't know about the most important or influential but I think the biggest male models would include people like Tyson Beckford, Antonio Sabato Jr., and Marcus Schenkenberg. At least those were some of the most mainstream ones.

I definately think it's easier to break into the modeling world as a model for guys than for girls because of competition. This is what many girls dream of doing growing up so it could get very very competitive. For guys, not the same story. I've yet to know a guy that dreamt of modeling as a kid.

15-04-2005
front row

currently i would say will chalker is the biggest one, but i think Vincent Lacrocq is the coolest!
i think having a style is more important than having a pretty face for a male model.
and they don't need a dynamic walks, just walking on the runway and showing the style of the clothes and themselves are just fine, and being natural!
afterall i think the word ""catwalk"" can only apply on female models, imagine a male model "catwalking" on the runway...

15-04-2005
backstage pass

I like to think Harry Kinkead as a "supermodel" because of those Prada campaigns, although he probably isn't.

I think that a good male model is one who is versatile (this goes for female models as well).
And also it depends on what look designers want.

Quote:
Elite NYC considers him as one of their top bets in the current race for the next male "megamodel". Competing with Boyd for this title includes David Smith at IMG, Nick Bryant at VModels, Derek Hunchins at NY Models and Jeppe Zeller, also at IMG.
From http://www.model-max.com/boyd_holbrook.htm

tfs star

has to be photogentic,and has to have a good height

15-04-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by amchan
currently i would say will chalker is the biggest one, but i think Vincent Lacrocq is the coolest!
i think having a style is more important than having a pretty face for a male model.
and they don't need a dynamic walks, just walking on the runway and showing the style of the clothes and themselves are just fine, and being natural!
afterall i think the word ""catwalk"" can only apply on female models, imagine a male model "catwalking" on the runway...
Yeah, at the current time, Will is as close to "supermodel" status as you're gonna get...Definitely not as mainstream as Tyson and Marcus (as previously suggested by another poster), but doing EVERYBODY's campaign & runway shows definitely says something.

And yes, you are right amchan: Vincent Lacrocq is the coolest!

15-04-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugobossdaria
has to be photogentic,and has to have a good height
and having a nice package NEVER hurt any male models career either!

15-04-2005
rising star

i believe that a good attitude is what makes a good male model. humility, smarts, and sincere interest (good relationship with clients you build relationships with) attributes to the longevity of a male model in the industry. having a good reputation is invaluable in the success of a male model.

15-04-2005
backstage pass

a nice butt

08-01-2006
scenester

You dont necessairly have to be good looking (some models in general look kind of strange). But you should have a good work ethic, be easy to work with, have a very diverse look that can be changed to fit the mood of each show/photoshoot (there should also be something about you that everyone likes).

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashatheelf
a nice butt
lol, having a nice body does not hurt either

front row

Not to be so TYPICAL. And plus, you need to create an impression. If you notice, supermodels are not only pretty, they come ALIVE in pictures. I saw a lot of guys look gorgeous, but there is no life coming out of them. But models like Vincent Lacrocq -the newbie- provoke a personality. He seems strong -one of the thing I like about him is that he looks very MALE, no eye-candy-, loyal, faithful,... Jeremy Dufor even though looks eye-candy, but have an amazing structure (he's just perfect! His face, his body, all comes into perfection!) and a mesmerizing charisma. THey can go different looks without loosing what's distinctive about them. Plus, they have a fabulous walk! Vincent gives out a little kick everytime he turns, very street-like and attitude. Jeremy is surreal and charming! Both of them are nice, decent guys too. I like to work with models who are nice. I feel like I can make them beautiful and its worth it. If a model is bitchy and cocky, I consider it a turnoff. How can I make someone look beautiful if I hate their guts???

19-04-2006
trendsetter

Yeah, guys need personality, too.

10-05-2006
backstage pass

Agreed@!!!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
good, makes, male, model