How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-07-2006
kabhi alvida

What to Wear at Interviews
I have a meeting with a guy from a PR Firm that I'm hoping to land an internship with in a few days. We've been communicating a lot very informally by e-mail (about as informally as you can with a prospective employer) and he wants to meet to discuss what I can do next week. So I have that age old dilemma now - what do i wear?

It is a PR Firm in central London so I don't want to go in full on suit regalia. But I also don't want to look like I couldn't be bothered. I want to be myself. Also, this isn't exactly an interview, as he has already asked me lots of questions over email and has seen my CV, etc. He sounds pretty down to earth and cool and not at all hung up, and the company itself seems very young and laissez - faire.

Any tips would be welcome....I mean obviously you lot haven't seen my exact wardrobe, but some of you will know my style icon is of course (TFS heroine ) Kate Moss.

Please help...really want to make a good impression!

Last edited by BetteT; 28-10-2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Threads merged ... question about where to find them no longer applicable.

03-07-2006
kabhi alvida

anyone?????

tea time

urgh this reminds me i have an interview tomorow

im going to go smart casual black t-shirt smart cord skirt and just some flats. since we have a heatwave aswell smart would just be unbearable!

impossibleprincess i would suggest going smart casual maybe not jeans though... make the effort but not uncomfortable like you would be in a suit maybes just some nice pants/skirt and a t-shirt or top and some flats casual but making an effort! and good luck and hope you get it!

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
04-07-2006
front row

The pencil skirt wins again!
Go for heels and clothes that fit your body well. A pencil skirt and shell top (a dressier vest--to brits, or tank top--to Americans) is always a classy pairing. You can choose materials to suit the occasion. I just picked up a lovely cream lace pencil skirt that I'm wearing with a black top and black heels and a burgandy clutch. Don't worry about getting a briefcase. Take a purse you already have (clean and tidy) along with a nice looking portfolio to tuck your papers into.

Don't forget classic accessories. Leave the big pieces at home for the interview. Diamond studs (or cubic zirconia or fakes) always look classy as will a simple bracelet or two, as long as they don't jingle or look boho.

Good luck!

04-07-2006
rising star

What to Wear & Say During a Fashion Magazine Interview?
Hi everyone,

I have 2 interviews lined up with well known Middle Eastern Fashion magazines. I think with the introduction of the new Elle Middle East version the existing magazines are looking to be more daring and get ahead with design and quality writing.

One of the magazines I am interviewing for is pretty amateur but has lots of potential. I was wondering if during the interview it would be appropriate to let them now what I think are the downfalls and what can be done to improve the magazine or if I should just keep my mouth shut unless they bring it up.

Also what should I wear? Is corporate dress to stiff for fashion magazines? Suggestions please?

front row

Keep your mouth shut about how to "improve" their mag. How would you feel if someone came into your newly built house and said, "It's got potential but you should have put this wall here and painted this room green..." etc.

Just hope that they see the potential in their mag. Sometimes what looks amateur stays amateur. Sad but true.

Good luck!

Last edited by BetteT; 28-10-2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Threads merged ... no longer need the link.
04-07-2006
front row

Wear what their target customer would wear to an interview Probably don't wear a boring suit. I was at a fashion industry interview once and was told by the lady interviewing me "I like how you're dressed. Other girls have come into the interviews wearing suits...hello, why would you waer something stuffy like that to a FASHION interview?". I wore a colorful wrap shirt, grey dress pants and red kitten heels. Defiantly wear something professional, not too teeny-bopper-"ish", but soemthing stylish!

fashion insider

So, what do you WEAR to an interview?
I hope I'm not the only one struggling with this. I always wanted to know what to wear to an interview for a fashion company.

The position is either an internship or a paying job.

So, do you dress for your personality or dress for the personality of the company? What would you guys suggest?

TWITTER:
26-06-2007
front row

We fashion majors have it toughest when it comes to interviews since what we're wearing is half the interview since it's our area of expertise! I know it can be stressful! At both of my most recent interviews, where I ended up getting the jobs (one a visual merchandiser and the other a buyer intern for an upscale boutique), my interviewers made comments such as "Thank God you are dresses stylish, you wouldn't believe how many people come dressed wrong for this". One interviewer told me that she was losing hope because it seemed everyone who came for an interview was wearing a Gap turtleneck or a suit!

Just think of it this way, if you were a fashion editor doing a segment on "how to dress for an interview" from X company (that you are applying for) what would you suggest? Sometimes it helps to put it out of context a little.

Also try Lucky magazine, they often have good segments on professional dressing with style.

fashion insider

I think for interviews it's always best to keep it simple. Even if you're the sort of person who dresses kind of "artsy" or whatever, I think everyone can look good and feel comfortable in a black dress, or dark jeans and a nice top. Then you can add your own bit of flare with the shoes you wear or the bag you carry.

Press escape to continue.

Don't forget to have one thing with you from the company you are interviewing for - something subtle and seeming unintentional. I subscribe to downplaying oneself for an internship interview. Light makeup, "sensible" clothes and shoes. Not drab, but very simple.

Most important is the personality, good manners, and a strong ability to listen and communicate.

If the person conducting the interview has an assistant, asking what would be appropriate for interview attire might be helpful.

fashion insider

I always wrestle with this in my head particularly since I'm looking for jobs or internships on the design side of the business. Should I dress to express myself and sell myself as a creative person, or should I dress in a way that best represents the company?

I do think it's a fine balance between the two.

TWITTER:
26-06-2007
tfs star

I agree, keep it simple.

A nice blouse with nice black slacks and minimal jewelry will never steer you wrong.

Just think "classic".

19-07-2007
trendsetter

Tomorrow I have a job interview at Neiman. Help?

windowshopping

Simple, elegant and professional.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, industry, internship, interview, job, wear