How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-07-2008
scenester

I am thinking about wearing this skirt from express for a interview I have at a fashion mag...is it to much? Should I just wear a black pencil skirt instead? (the image was taken from express.com)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (23.7 KB, 2 views)

27-07-2008
windowshopping

I would say stick to the black pencil skirt. Although that skirt is really cute, it's better to stay with a classic look. If you want to stand out, wear a bold accessory. I am in the process of interviewing interns for my fashion PR firm, and while I would think a girl walking in with that skirt is bold and fashion-forward, my higher up would wince.

windowshopping

ah i just got an email to meet for an interview for an internship at 3.1 phillip lim. it's TOMORROW though! can anyone help me out with some ideas/suggestions on what to wear?

28-07-2008
scenester

Thanks closethunter, I took your advice and I wore the pencil skirt today to my interview.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilslimm68 View Post
ah i just got an email to meet for an interview for an internship at 3.1 phillip lim. it's TOMORROW though! can anyone help me out with some ideas/suggestions on what to wear?
This is what I would do: Stick to his style aesthetic... clean lines and muted colors. Go to his web site and look at the Summer 2008 look book. You'll find some great ideas there.

Just make sure you are polished and not too casual. Good luck!!!

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliah326 View Post
Thanks closethunter, I took your advice and I wore the pencil skirt today to my interview.
Great, I hope it went well!

rising star

I have an interview with a top music magazine and also a fashion mag. Should I just stick with a nice suit?

25-09-2008
fashion icon

Capn_Birdseye welcome to tFS Have a look at this thread - the general consensus (which I agree with as well) is that definitely no suit!

I'm going to move your post to a more relevant thread about what to wear for job and internship interviews. For future reference, try using the search option which is available in each forum as there are heaps of older threads which are still very useful now, so they may not appear on the first page.

27-10-2008
windowshopping

Hey all....my first TFS post! Anyways, I have an interview with one of the top men's fashion editors next week and do not know what to wear! It's an intern position at his latest venture, which is online.

I am on the fence about what to wear. It's online, so not super formal in an office, but it's also fashion. I was thinking dark wash Ksubis, a Thom Browne oxford, MJ grey tweed, and a blue/white striped thick Thom Browne scarf??

Not sure about the jeans though--too casual? Is the scarf too victim? We're meeting at Starbucks so the environment is also pretty informal. Help is much appreciated?

27-10-2008
V.I.P.

Welcome to tFS!

The scarf is too victim, I would say ... unless it's an uber trendy publication catering to fashion victims. But.... if it's cold out and you are wearing a jacket that you will take it off, you can also take off the scarf after you get a look at they guy you are meeting or leave it on (taking a cue from what he's wearing). When in doubt ... just don't wear it. Dark wash jeans are perceived as more dressy, so I think those would be fine ... espcially since it's an online publication, which always seem to be a bit more casual.

Last edited by BetteT; 27-10-2008 at 11:52 PM.
29-10-2008
fashion icon

I think one thing that's really important is to wear something that you're comfortable in (and of course, appropriate for the situation :p ) because if it isn't, you're going to be worrying about it for the interview and feel awkward and obviously not as comfortable as you should be. And when in doubt, say no :p

Though I like BetteT think dark wash jeans are fine

02-11-2008
windowshopping

I have an interview for Topshop tomorrow.
I think I'm wearing a white shirt with little puff sleeves, a high waisted black and grey checked pencil skirt (which has attached braces which cross over at the back), black topshop tights and shellys black flats.
I'm going to jazz it up abit with a nice necklace and bracelets and have my hair tied up, with a bit of subtle backcombing.

Does this sound okay??

x

03-11-2008
V.I.P.

Sounds really good, trendy and young, which is totally TopShop. But I'd probably not do the bracelets. For a few reasons: First, it's easy to overdue it with jewelry so both necklace and bracelet might be too much. Secondly, you need to look ready to work ... and if the bracelets are big and clunky ... or smaller, but jangly ... they might look like they would get in your way when you are working. Lastly, .. if the make any noise, it could be very distracting for your interviewer and you don't want that.

10-05-2009
scenester

I have an interview with FASHION magazine for an internship position on Friday and I'm not sure what to wear. I got into an argument with my mom because she said I'm not supposed to wear tights to an interview. I tried telling her it's for a fashion magazine, not a job with the city. Is it okay to wear tights to interview with a fashion magazine?

Here are my outfit options:

1) A loose cream-coloured tank top
A black high-waisted pencil skirt with zipper details
Black tights
Black flats

2) A white and purple polka dot blouse
A black cardigan
A blue-grey melange skirt (from AA)
A wide black belt
Black tights
Black flats

3) A white shirt dress
A black blazer
Silver chain necklaces a la Givenchy f/w 08
Black tights
Black wedges

V.I.P.

You are correct ... they will accept more of a fashion or trendy vibe if it's a fashion magazine ... in fact they probably expect it.

I think that black tights should be OK ... but it would really depend on the magazine. You want to match your style to their style .... so if that is something that you see in the pages of their magazine (especially for this season ... spring) then I'm sure it would be good. But .... if you see them showing spring fashions with bare legs and no tights to be seen anywhere ... then I'd recommend that you follow suit.

Last edited by BetteT; 12-05-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, industry, internship, interview, job, wear