How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-04-2006
windowshopping

Boutique Names!
Hey everyone,

Newbie here! Well I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas of cool boutique names. What makes a good boutique name and what are some no-no's? I am soon going to be opening a boutique soon and im brainstorming, im sort of having a brain fart

thanks in advance

30-04-2006
front row

This is a really good question, I hope some of the professionals here answer. I really like one word names, words that are provacative and kinda edgy like Tryst.

Lol, in my town (which has very few boutiques) there's a Bella, a Bellisima and a Jezzebelle's. When I open my boutique I'll try to stay away frome anything w/ "belle" in it.

01-05-2006
windowshopping

I know belle is a very popular name. I was experimenting with some names with Belle in them, but now not so much I hope this gets some great replys too!

01-05-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberwyn
This is a really good question, I hope some of the professionals here answer. I really like one word names, words that are provacative and kinda edgy like Tryst.

Theres a bar near where i live called Tryst lol

03-05-2006
windowshopping

Boutique names are like fashion line names... most people who've come up with have good ones, aren't too keen to give them away.

Some general tips though:

Boutique names are more like night club names than hair salon names.

Random one word names seem to be hot now.

Look for names that convey the mood or theme of the boutique. For example: Stylepost may work for western wear, but not for evening wear, where a name like Glitter may be better.

Note that both of those names were intentionally horrible, but you get the idea. :-)

03-05-2006
front row

I agree w/ you 100% about the night club thing.

03-05-2006
windowshopping

True, people might be a lil iffy about sharing their ideas, i was asking people who dont have intentions on using their ideas. And yes the nightclub thing is hot right now!

03-05-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Jones
True, people might be a lil iffy about sharing their ideas, i was asking people who dont have intentions on using their ideas. And yes the nightclub thing is hot right now!
I have no intention of using my ideas so here they are. (This is my first post, so bear with me).

They reflect my general philosophy that it is not a good thing to go chasing after trends as by the time they are "caught" the proverbially river has moved on. Also, I agree with the belle-ban. I am living in SLC now as I save money for grad school and the “fashion-forward” boutique (think Robertson Ave three years ago, or Jessica Simpson before Zoë) here is Lola-Bella. Enough said.

I always have liked POPCORN (I don’t know what you are selling, but this is a good animation, 80’s through back, borderline Lolita reference. Bright, colors. Clean lines. Gen-Y. You could not sell boho in this store, or hopefully any store Also fast consonants sell, they are manic, but fun.

BAGUNCA (great name for a bar as well. Soft “c”. This means “crazy, mess, but in a good way” in Portuguese).

What kind of boutique were you planning?

04-05-2006
front row

What about Luminesence?
It's a nice name.

04-05-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by beijafleure
BAGUNCA (great name for a bar as well. Soft “c”. This means “crazy, mess, but in a good way” in Portuguese).
Good one. Spell it with the required cedilla ç and then it takes on the "obviously elite foreign flair".

Bagunça.

Or you could name it:

Opa! <-- The universial brasilian interjection.

04-05-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by beijafleure
I have no intention of using my ideas so here they are. (This is my first post, so bear with me).

They reflect my general philosophy that it is not a good thing to go chasing after trends as by the time they are "caught" the proverbially river has moved on. Also, I agree with the belle-ban. I am living in SLC now as I save money for grad school and the “fashion-forward” boutique (think Robertson Ave three years ago, or Jessica Simpson before Zoë) here is Lola-Bella. Enough said.

I always have liked POPCORN (I don’t know what you are selling, but this is a good animation, 80’s through back, borderline Lolita reference. Bright, colors. Clean lines. Gen-Y. You could not sell boho in this store, or hopefully any store Also fast consonants sell, they are manic, but fun.

What kind of boutique were you planning?

oooo Good ones!

I am opening a womens clothing boutique...its gonna be young, fresh, and hip. Im hoping to carry top designers or up and coming designers of the same quality. Something you might see on Melrose or Robertson.

What do you guys think of Amare?
I heard it means fashion in some language

05-05-2006
windowshopping

On futher review, Bagunça is NOT a good boutique name.

I asked my Brasileira friend... and this is the response:

Question:
So.. bagunça would never be a good thing... like referring to clothing?

Answer:
não nunca! (No Never)
bagunça numa roupa (bagnuça in clothing)
means it's bad sewed or cut or tailored

05-05-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulMiller
On futher review, Bagunça is NOT a good boutique name.

I asked my Brasileira friend... and this is the response:

Question:
So.. bagunça would never be a good thing... like referring to clothing?

Answer:
não nunca! (No Never)
bagunça numa roupa (bagnuça in clothing)
means it's bad sewed or cut or tailored
Yeah, so scratch that! Sorry. Once again reminded that my little knowledge of Portuguese can be very dangerous.

It could be kind of funny, like a boutique named Caveat Emptor. However, irony is so over , and I wouldn't base a business on people not getting it. Maybe still could be a bar.

07-05-2006
V.I.P.

Ok. My way of thinking is it has to be hot. Noone wants to go to somewhere with a shitty name, unless it is sooo f***ing hot that the name doesnt matter, which is rare. Im using clubs...I.E. Play, Nobu (not a club), Bungalow 8, it has to sound cool. You want people to want to say it, on that note, I have no ideas.

What about...Post? Haute?

Last edited by Hanne; 07-05-2006 at 12:41 PM. Reason: please see tfs guidelines - profanity
09-02-2009
Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

What's in a Name? Naming your brand / line / store.
Does the name help with the success of it? I mean, some lines have stupid names and are doing well...some just have the name of the designer..

what do you guys think?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brand, line, naming, store