How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

02-11-2008
windowshopping

I'm canadian and i'm considering getting an internship in New York city next summer. Do I need a work visa or anything else? Since i wouldn't be an employee I wouldn't think so... but can anyone confirm this?

03-11-2008
V.I.P.

Take a look around this site ... it's the US Citizenship and Immigration Services, which is the department that controls all immigration to the US.

This link talks about student visa's ... and related "Practical Training" which is how an internship would probably be classified (I'm guessing here ... you'd probably have to contact them to verify is an intership qualifies under student visas):

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

This link is for temporaty visitors for pleasure or business purposes and it also mentions students who are in the US temporarily:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

03-11-2008
windowshopping

thank you so much Bette!

28-11-2008
rising star

I live in Sydney, Australia and have just last month finished high school (thank GOD!) and I've already found that the opportunities for fashion design available here, both educationally and employment-wise, are very limited, so Parsons is somewhere that I am seriously considering applying for. I adore the idea of moving to New York and I have the finances to back it up.

However I just wanted to get some info from anyone who can help on what it's like applying internationally.
I'm taking 2009 off to work, save-up and do as many technical textile courses as possible ('cause I need to improve my textile manufacturing skills) and work on my portfolio, I would consider myself very ambitious and am confident in my abilities, especially in design and fashion illustration (although even saying that makes me uncomfortable, I definitely need to get over my aversion to selling myself and worrying about sounding pretentious).
So for those who have applied and gotten in, would you say that the fashion design course is extremely difficult to get in to? And what do they respond to?

28-11-2008
V.I.P.

First, check into the government requirements to move here to be a student. There is lot's of red tape here in the U.S. which has only gotten worse since 9/11 ... so make sure you know the requirements for that, too.

28-11-2008
rising star

^^ Yeah I've read up about what kinda of visa is required and all the limitations and guidelines, and as long as I can actually get into a school the student visa platform is fairly straightforward.

01-12-2008
rising star

Hi!! I'm currently looking for internships in NY. Does anyone know anything about visa's working regulations for someone from the UK? I know we are allowed to stay up to 3 months but can I do a unpaid internship in those 3 months? any advice would be appreciated. Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, please direct me elsewhere if this is the case.

Thanks very much!! xxxxx

01-12-2008
V.I.P.

There's some U.S. visa info in the internship thread ... I posted this a few months ago and there's a link to the U.S. Imigration service there. It's best to contact them, if you have questions because you will probably get a wrong answer from us ... because it is very complicated and confusing.

10-03-2009
trendsetter

I'm currently a junior in college majoring in English and Art History. I live in a small city in Ohio. I know, it's as terrible as it sounds ! Upon graduating, I have thought about applying to go to graduate school in London at Central St. Martin's with a focus in fashion journalism. I would eventually love to move to Paris, though. Someone had mentioned that one has to be 25 or older to work full-time in France. I am 19. Is there any way I could get an internship in Paris?

11-03-2009
V.I.P.

Here's a starting place with the French government, who is the only real authority about this sort of thing ... it's in French. This page is the information that you need to immigrate to France as a student but there are other links there about Visas and working in France, etc.
http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/esp...rubrique=12793

It will be very complicated ... and varies by the country you are coming from (normal for immigrating to any country) ... unless you already live in the EU ... then it's a bit simpler.

11-03-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Here's a starting place with the French government, who is the only real authority about this sort of thing ... it's in French. This page is the information that you need to immigrate to France as a student but there are other links there about Visas and working in France, etc.
http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/esp...rubrique=12793

It will be very complicated ... and varies by the country you are coming from (normal for immigrating to any country) ... unless you already live in the EU ... then it's a bit simpler.
You can also find pertinent information in your local language regarding student visas for France on your local French Consulate or embassy's website

11-03-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaou View Post
There are definitely internship opportunities for Americans in France, I know for a fact that the French American Chamber of Commerce helps facilitate an internship program for Americans with private French companies in France...this includes fashion companies!!

I highly recommend that you learn French and get to the point where you're fluent. I learned to speak French fluently when I taught English there for 7 months to high school students through a program sponsored by the French government. They pay you a modest stipend, you get to live in France and get to know the culture and the language. Plus, you can use that time to make connections in the fashion industry. Since you're an English major, I think this might be interesting for you, only you should take some French classes so you have a better chance of being accepted. In my experience, once you have the language down, doors will open for you like you wouldn't expect. :p
Thank you so much! This sounds fascinating! I really appreciate this tidbit of information! I will definitely look into it !

14-04-2009
scenester

this is a very weird question but can you do work experiences/internships in like foreign countries likw whilst on a holiday or something?? It's just that over here there isn't much opportunities within the fashion world.

14-04-2009
V.I.P.

i would like to know too.

i just know if you are being paid, you need at least a working visa

17-04-2009
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mods_MS17 View Post
this is a very weird question but can you do work experiences/internships in like foreign countries likw whilst on a holiday or something?? It's just that over here there isn't much opportunities within the fashion world.
Yes you can, but you might want to double check with visas and all that stuff, just in case.

Also for internships, they'd want you at least a month (at least in the US). Work experience maybe a week - I know a few people who have done them for a week, but they were more for special circumstances (like they had a blog which had lots of hits, or they had good contacts!) Overseas isn't like Australia (I'm assuming you're from Sydney, Australia, based on your location?) where many companies do work experience for just one week. Or at least not to my knowledge.

But anyway, you're in Sydney, there's quite a few opportunities if you know where to look! Definitely the most in Australia I'd say

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
countries, foreigner, needed, student, visas, work