How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-10-2009
V.I.P.

^^an intern never works for only one or two weeks.

at least, it doesn't work like that in France - when it comes to serious internships.

Interns work at least btw 3 months and 6 months. It can be 1 yr, too.

I don't know how it works in model agencies, though.

Some interns get paid. But internship isn't a real work (though here in France it has become one ! another issue .......). Internship is usefull to you, coz it is when you discover the job and discover too if this is really what you want to do. It can also help you for other jobs and/or internships. The most you got experience at a young age, the better it is for your future career. imo.

06-10-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
I think in France interns are always paid but I don't know about Italy.
Are you sure about that ?
I've never heard of people interning and getting payed.

Last edited by Filipe; 06-10-2009 at 05:09 PM.
06-10-2009
neorealismo

There are paid interships for sure, depends on the place of work & the section of your work.

Last edited by Amelia; 06-10-2009 at 05:13 PM.
06-10-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
Interns work at least btw 3 months and 6 months. It can be 1 yr, too.
But not with this kind of job. I know that some people when they are finishing high school and don't want to study more and are taking a course to then get a job doing something, they intern for like 3-4 months during the school year in the final year and don't get paid. I guess it varies from country to country.

06-10-2009
neorealismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe View Post
I'm not saying a full-time job. I want a part-time as well. You said you wanted to work as an intern, but interns don't get paid, you work as an intern for a short period of time, maybe 2 weeks ? or a month ? I don't know really know. After that time is either you sign and work with them or you are out.

Connections are important but if you don't have them, you need to find a way of getting them and try to get in an agency is a way, no ?
Yes, but I know what you mean. I think that if you want to work in fashion, you can't really hope for big money at the beginning. It's not what I want anyway.

I have a close contact with an agency here that can tell me what to do. I think it's better than writing an e-mail myself. Plus, maybe I'll have to work in Poland first to gain experience, that's one of the questions I need to ask them.

06-10-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
Yes, but I know what you mean. I think that if you want to work in fashion, you can't really hope for big money at the beginning. It's not what I want anyway.

I have a close contact with an agency here that can tell me what to do. I think it's better than writing an e-mail myself. Plus, maybe I'll have to work in Poland first to gain experience, that's one of the questions I need to ask them.
Of course not and you better keep in mind that models agents don't get paid that much at all, unless you work in a major agency. The owner is rich but the models agents earn way lower than the owner.

Well I don't think that matters if you gain experience in Italy or Poland, right ? There's the same kind of agencies in Poland and in Italy, although in Italy there's a higher level of agencies which there aren't in Poland, what I'm trying to say is that, I don't think it's possible to work in an agency like Women or IMG in Italy without having no experience (maybe with some connections ... ? since there's none ...), so I suppose that you must look to work in a minor agency first, to gain experience, so you have minor agencies in Poland and in Italy.

Btw, sure it's better to just got there and say what you have to say, much better than sending an email, you get a faster answer and they see you in person and get to know a little bit of your personality.

06-10-2009
neorealismo

You see I don't know if I sounded worried, but I'm not. I know what I want and it's Next. The only problem I had was that if it's better to write them directly or make an agency that has a great contact with them hire me there, in Milan (if that's even possible). But since I'm not into asking for anything, I will try to work in Poland first.

06-10-2009
V.I.P.

^ The way I see it, I think you have a nice plan right there tbh. Your first stop should be an agency at home where you can rack up some experience and slowly make connections. Maybe there is an agency in Poland that has some sort of ties with Next too (you know how they always have the girls from the mother agency sign with a certain international agency - e.g. I think Chic from Aus has that with Next)? Maybe you can try with that too? And after that you could try contacting more prominent agencies, Next has a Milan branch I believe so yeah. I'd love to help you out with this more actively but the friend I know who's into the whole internship thingy is rarely ever online so... Good luck though Amelia! Do let us know how things go if you do anything on this front. I'd love to do something similar but unfortunately there aren't that many inspiring agencies in Croatia.

06-10-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
You see I don't know if I sounded worried, but I'm not. I know what I want and it's Next. The only problem I had was that if it's better to write them directly or make an agency that has a great contact with them hire me there, in Milan (if that's even possible). But since I'm not into asking for anything, I will try to work in Poland first.
You want exclusively work with NEXT ? that's your goal ? Is there anything special about them ?

Ok, I think it's fine that you look for an agency near the place you live to gain experience and connections and then try to move on to something better.

06-10-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedcolours View Post
^ The way I see it, I think you have a nice plan right there tbh. Your first stop should be an agency at home where you can rack up some experience and slowly make connections. Maybe there is an agency in Poland that has some sort of ties with Next too (you know how they always have the girls from the mother agency sign with a certain international agency - e.g. I think Chic from Aus has that with Next)? Maybe you can try with that too? And after that you could try contacting more prominent agencies, Next has a Milan branch I believe so yeah. I'd love to help you out with this more actively but the friend I know who's into the whole internship thingy is rarely ever online so... Good luck though Amelia! Do let us know how things go if you do anything on this front. I'd love to do something similar but unfortunately there aren't that many inspiring agencies in Croatia.
Yeah, like in NY ... Women Direct, Women Management and Supreme are all connected.

06-10-2009
neorealismo

fadedcolours: This is it. I meant D'vision in Poland actually. They have great relations with Next, not only with the one in Milan. Thanks, dear.

06-10-2009
neorealismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe View Post
You want exclusively work with NEXT ? that's your goal ? Is there anything special about them ?

Ok, I think it's fine that you look for an agency near the place you live to gain experience and connections and then try to move on to something better.
No. I want to work with Next next year. For some time, then quit it and do someting else. Sorry, but what's so special about finding your place in the fashion world?

I speak Italian and I love Italy. That's all.

06-10-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
No. I want to work with Next next year. For some time, then quit it and do someting else. Sorry, but what's so special about finding your place in the fashion world?

I speak Italian and I love Italy. That's all.
Oh ok, sounds good for me, I was just asking why you wanted to work with them only. That's all.

06-10-2009
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeoelliott View Post
I am always wondering how do people become model agents? were they former models or just regular people hired by the agency? most importantly what does a model agent do? and how do i become one?
yes most of them are former models!

06-10-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lax89 View Post
Where do you live? I'd love to work for IMG or Women Model Management !
i live in nyc

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
agencies, agent, book, booker, manager, modeling, scout, working