How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-03-2010
V.I.P.

French Russian is not very easy to learn and especially to write.

10-03-2010
V.I.P.

hi everyone

here I am with my questions about the job in a model agency again

I graduate from my university this summer and decided I finally want to become a part of the industry. I am still undecided about what exactly I want to do, so I want to start with a job of an agent's or booker's assistant or smth similar to see the industry from the inside and discover what fascinates me most and what I want to be. I wanted to go to NY (or Europe if it's too complicated to get the US visa) and work there for some time (is it called being an intern?) for experience and improving my language skills as well. But is it possible to get this kind of job for a foreign girl (I'm Russian)? Or should I start here, in Moscow? Of course I'd like to work in NY more
And what's the best way to approach agencies? Just directly write an email asking whether they need someone (if I try my luck with local agencies is it better to call)? And if I should send my resume, what would you advise to write there to make them interested since I have zero experience in working in the industry, I am simply a student, will be a student graduate in June (I studied financial management). Thanks in advance. I am trying to collect as much info as I can

10-03-2010
backstage pass

^its definitely possible for a foreigner to do an internship in a ny agency! Here in Germany there is a special "intern visa" which is quite expensive and u only get it when u are a student or a fulltime worker...as far as i know.
Considering the visa i would advise u a european agency...what about london,paris,milan??

10-03-2010
V.I.P.

The problem is I won't be a student anymore when I want to go to NY and I don't have a job here either. I would like to work in NY more but Europe is fine too. London would be good for my English and I absolutely adore Paris! But my French is so poor, I don't think I will be able to work in France for that reason (or maybe English is enough)

thank you for your reply

10-03-2010
V.I.P.

Try some London based agencies, Russians are know for their reliability + your motherlanguage is a big advantage in this industry!

10-03-2010
Blood On The Leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet rus View Post
And what's the best way to approach agencies? Just directly write an email asking whether they need someone (if I try my luck with local agencies is it better to call)? And if I should send my resume, what would you advise to write there to make them interested since I have zero experience in working in the industry
I would like to know that as well.

I'm going to university in October where I'm gonna study Russian and Polish. My plan is to take a French course outside university in my free time. After my graduation (or maybe next year during summer) I'd like to intern in some model agency in France. Do you think I have any chance to get the internship or something like that?

10-03-2010
V.I.P.

Nice to hear. Thank you cologne_rocks!
Can I apply only as an intern or may I have a normal full-time job with a contract and everything? I mean, I would like to be paid to pay for rent and all. I am sorry if my questions are silly but I am new to all this. And I will repeat my question: what's the best way to approach agencies?

10-03-2010
backstage pass

i would just write an e-mail and ask if the need interns ...if they need one i would send my resume and cover letter and thats it.
i always thought about designing my application as a sedcard or showcard to make it stand out....

10-03-2010
V.I.P.

Or ... in your case, ask if they are hiring. Of course, if they are hiring and wanted to interview you, you would have to travel there to do that. Plus, you would have to have the appropriate visas, etc. to take a job.

10-03-2010
backstage pass

i dont think applying for a fulltime job is possible because most of the people who work for the agencies did an intership first....there are so many people out there who would work as an intern for free so you would probably not get paid

11-03-2010
V.I.P.

thank you very much both! I emailed a few agencies in London about intership, let's see what happens:p

11-03-2010
backstage pass

models 1 should reply within a few days if u have mailed them! they answer pretty fast

11-03-2010
V.I.P.

Yes, I have. How much time does it usually take agencies to answer if they even do it?

11-03-2010
backstage pass

I tried the internship thing a lot of times... and I didn't get a good internship yet... You have to writte agencies but usually they don't answer to info@ e-mails...

12-03-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognimod View Post
I tried the internship thing a lot of times... and I didn't get a good internship yet... You have to writte agencies but usually they don't answer to info@ e-mails...
I emailed around 8 agencies this night and got 2 replies
One of the agencies replied that they " do not have any vacancies at present" and another one wrote they already have enough interns but they'll keep my cv in case the situation changes. So far I got 2 polite no's but it's nice to know that they reply at least.

Last edited by Sweet rus; 12-03-2010 at 06:36 AM.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
agencies, agent, book, booker, manager, modeling, scout, working