How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-06-2014
V.I.P.

Thank you for sharing, Ines.

Your story is typical, I would say. That's how it usually happens ... you just sort of "fall" into it by networking with the right people. Sooner or later, they learn that you have the "eye" to know which models will "sell" to clients. It's a talent that some people have an most people just can't get. It's hard to teach anyone how to have the "eye" because, although there are general requirements (height, build, good bone structure, etc.), it's the quirky little things that make a great model.

I fell into styling that way, assisting a photographer, who noticed I had the eye for wardrobe choices. But I don't have the "eye" for models at all. She had it .... and tried to teach me, but I never got it. It would make us laugh ... because I was sooo bad at it.

Last edited by BetteT; 28-06-2014 at 05:40 PM.

21-08-2014
front row

I will be going to different agencies in Paris next week to apply for a position.
How likely is it for an agency to hire someone as an alternant ? (3 days at uni / 2 days at the agency).
My chances seem slim to none but I can't help but try.

scenester

As a photographer I kind of "scout" models for my personal projects, though they do not need to fit agency criteria. Makes me used to approaching people on the street or on the internet, and as I have a proper website to show, they tend to trust me.

I have been a backstage photographer for few years now, and met so many models on shows that I can easily spot a guy who would fit well.

As agencies like my pictures, I did many tests with new faces for big French agencies, and so I know people inside.

This summer, I scouted a boy who would do great on runways. I did a photo shoot with him, with polaroids and enough pictures to start a very good book.

And now, I am taking his book to the very best French agencies, to see if they are interested in him, and what agreement we can find, before I bring him to their office.

In the future I would like to scout as a freelance.

Not the "I scouted you now bye" kind of scout, the kind who stay involved, starts a great book for them (it's easier as a photographer), and follow them in the long run.

Sadly in France setting up an agency is hard, or I would give a try at being a mother agency for these boys I intend to scout.

And maybe in the future casting director for shows, who knows...

So this is how I personally intend on getting to work for agencies. I will tell you how it goes from there!

Last edited by Adrien S; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:41 PM.
4 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

^wow this sounds great! good luck with that! Keep us updated!

Tags
agencies, agent, book, booker, manager, modeling, scout, working