How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-10-2005
yes

I scout for various agencies in my free time.
Let me tell you, its VERY difficult!
even the top scouts may only find one girl per week and even then, maybe none of those will go on to do anything.

if you are going to scout
firstly: make a contact with an agency (one or more if you want) so that if you find somebody, at least you have a legitimate reason for doing so, as well as somewhere to actually take the person

secondly: always carry a polaroid camera / digital camera to take some photos, as well as means of writing down some details of the person ( name, number, where theyre from)

thirdly: have something to give to them such as the same details you have taken from them (your name, your number, where you are from) so that they dont think you are just a random person wanting their number

if the girl/boy is under the age of about 17 then say that you think they have potentiol but you must speak to their parents also, its very important, as agencies can find themselves in a lot of bother from peoples parents if they find out their child has been approached and taken somewhere without them knowing

apart from that, just keep a good eye out, dont take it too seriously, sometimes you find someone, sometimes you dont
c'est la vie!

02-10-2005
front row

to Mithyque: I wanted to become model myself and sent my photos to Moscow agency IQ models (I've seen names of it's models in Russian Cosmo and L'Officiel), right next morning they answered that they really wanted to work with me if only not my age 23 - it's toooo much for the beginner! They mostly work with American and Europe agencies and I need at least already have editorials or some AD campaign ( which I surely don't have) to work at this age. Instead after some more letters they suggested me to be their model agent 'cause I must know girls (I was very long in the local agency) and what appearance they need to be and so on. I said: surely I want, if not modeling my self then it'd be great to open a new star by myself But! Very quickly I came to the point: it's not that easy
to Acid: Thank you very much for the advices!
Sometimes I see a girl who is definitely MUST be a model (I mean by her appearance, 'cause I don't know her mind ) but then I feel fear and can't even say a word
I have cell phone with a camera and digital camera, but I need to have cards, I don't know what kind of cards they must be. What info I should place? My name, cell phone?
Something like this?
Leonova Ekaterina
IQ models
cell phone number
Thanks everybody for your advices, I appreciate them greatly!!!!

03-10-2005
yes

^ yes exactly thats fine
if you are working for IQ, maybe you could get them to make some scouting cards for you

03-10-2005
rising star

^^ fantastic delerith!! I always wondered how people got into scouting. Do you need to have modelling experience yourself? I've seen a few girls and thought wow.. they need to model big style but of course am not a scout and would feel like a right plonker if i said that to them!!

03-10-2005
front row

I think you needn't modeling experience yourself but it helps to understand

21-10-2005
front row

Ha! Today when I was walking home from my work I saw a very "modelish" girl!!! I thought: Go, tell her something, try, you can do it I've already lost her sight then quickly turned and run for her Can you imagine this picture. I'd add that at the time I was examining her appearance she was examining mine I've asked her if she ever wanted to work as a model and what do you think she said??????? She said that she already work at the same agency as I am (in my town, not at the agency I'm scouting for). Anyway I told her about prospects and gave her my cell phone number. She was in a hurry so I couldn't hold her anymore. Hope she'll phone back

21-10-2005
princely

at least you know youre picking the right people.

Kind of on the same topic...today when i was on the bus, i saw a girl maybe 5'10.5 (model body type) come onto the b us, i thought she should model...but then again her face was very plain and nothign special, but shes probaly an example of someone who is modelling because of the body and not the face....Kind of like Melody Woodin

Last edited by BetteT; 19-03-2012 at 12:02 AM.
21-10-2005
V.I.P.

How did you get into it Acid? It sounds like an interesting job... well I do look out anyway but for no other purpose than to see what the population offers up!

28-10-2005
V.I.P.

Model agency bookers and scouts
Hey guys, I'm doing an oral presentation on Friday for my English class and I really need your help! I decided to talk about the fashion industry (of course!), but most specifically about modeling agencies. Now, I'm going to talk about what a booker does and what the job is like, opportunities, etc. I'd also like to talk about scouting new models...

So really, could you guys who work in the industry or have great knowledge about those jobs/institutions tell me more on the subject? Anything, even small pieces of information would be really helpful!!

Thanks

28-10-2005
V.I.P.

Here's what I know ... just from working with models and photgraphers. I've never worked in an agency ... so it's all hearsay ... in case I get something wrong.

A booker is basically a sales person ... who's got a "book" of models who are signed with the agency. They promote their models to prospective clients ... by knowing who is casting for ads and commercials, etc. and sending out the models' marketing materials ... comp cards, and if requested, their portfolios. A booker needs to have a huge "rollodex" with lots of contacts in the fashion and commercial industry. If one or more of that booker's models are hired for the gig, the agency gets paid a percentage, typically about 20% of the billed amount for the models' work, from both the client and the model.

In order to do this effecitvely, a booker has a variety of responsibilities.

First the booker must find and select models to represent ... models that meet the typical client requests. So they need to understand the market that they work in and be sensitive to clients' shifts in what they usually need. They must have strong models with the right looks for the market, but not too many of any "type" ... so they don't compete against each other.

Models are usually found by holding open calls, often held for a couple of hours every week at the booker's office. Very few of them are ever selected ... only ones that fill the booker's current needs and the rare model who is just so strong that the booker knows that her look would get her a lot of work. Some agencies have mail in submissions only, asking for a couple of photos and the model's stats and they call any one that they might be interested in. Very few agencies go out and scout ... no need to. Aspiring models come to them in groves. People who cll themselves model scouts, are usually working a scam.

Once a model is selected, the booker and the model often sign a contract, laying out what the terms of representation are ... what the commission to the agency is and whether or not the model may find work through other means or not. The model is more or less employing the agency to find her work ... and in return pays them a commission.

The booker works with the newly represented model and helps her to put together a strong portfolio ... making recommendations to good photographers that they know can produce the right kind of images for the booker's market. This is done at the model's expense ... she pays the photographer directly.

The booker also has accounting duties. Any expenses that the agency incurs on beholf of the model will be charged to the model such as shipping portfolios, copies, postage, etc.

And the booker is responsible to make sure the models show up, prepared and on time to castings and gigs. Most models are still teenagers, and not always responsible. If a model fails to show, the agency stands to not only loose money but credibility. So a good booker is always aware of what is going on with the models, and always has a back up plan. He/she's sort of a parent and a faux employer.

What I don't know is exactly how a booker is paid, but I suspect it's commision related ... the more business heshe creates, the more pay is earned.

So ... you can see that a good booker must have strong business skills, able to multitask, be skilled at networking, have a good eye for the right models, have the patience and skills to work with rookies and teenagers, and be able to sell the client on the fact that his/her models are the best for their needs.

28-10-2005
FC5
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT
just from working with models and photographers.
Well, from working as a photographer I'd have to agree with pretty much all you wrote. A few points that I might add though:

That figure of 20% gets thrown around a lot - but as it comes of both model AND client I don't know why they don't just be up front and say 33.3%.

There is some blurring round the sign contract / start testing period. I know I get inundated with new faces - mostly at the stage of a sheet of polariods rather than a proper comp card. Many will get sent on a test or two before the agency actually decides to offer a contract. Also there is a lot of 'free' testing - where agencies make use of those photographers, stylists etc who are also building their books. Usually on an expenses only basis these shoots play a part in deciding which models get the contracts.

Also scouting does happen - at least round here it does, even if only on an informal basis - ie the booker happens to spot someone while they are doing something else. That may sound random but given the tiny proportion of would bees who become signed models it becomes significant. But unfortunately it also makes a great cover for dodgy characters.

Then there is sending models on the relentless rounds of castings and go-sees. Basically the same thing - the model goes to meet potential clients or photographers. The difference is that a casting is arranged with a specific job in mind. A go-see is just an excuse to meet either a client or a photographer in the hope that the model will create an impression so when something comes up they will be in the clients mind.

28-10-2005
V.I.P.

One of the areas I don't see covered here is the scalping of models from other agencies by bookers. I know this happens because i know of one or two instances when it did. I'm not sure how contracts are bought out by the "scalping" agency or even if that happens in most cases.

29-10-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT
People who call themselves model scouts, are usually working a scam.
Great post, Bette - but just to say that here in London, scouts are very much a part of the modelling industry. Almost every girl I've worked with was scouted rather than sending in her photos to the agency. All the big agencies send out their scouts to the busiest London locations on a Saturday (usually Top Shop, Oxford Circus) and if they see someone tall and skinny they go after them!

Of course there are scammers, but girls just have to apply some common sense when being approached by someone who says they could be a model.

29-10-2005
V.I.P.

Thank you so so so much everyone for your help, it is greatly appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by model_mom
One of the areas I don't see covered here is the scalping of models from other agencies by bookers. I know this happens because i know of one or two instances when it did. I'm not sure how contracts are bought out by the "scalping" agency or even if that happens in most cases.
What do you mean by scalping? Like, buying out girls or?

29-10-2005
FC5
scenester

Model_mom, I don't know how it is done - but it does happen from time to time. Notably when any new agency starts up. To the best of my knowledge EVERY new, decent, agency forms when bookers from other, top agencies decide to breakaway and work for themselves. They obviously have the experience, but they usually take a selection of models, and clients with them. I'm always really suspicious of any new agency that appears that doesn't start up like this.

There is also a steady drift of models moving from one agency to another - presumably as contrats come up for renewal the models have a look around to see what else is on offer.

Any bookers or models here who can comment from their side?

Last edited by FC5; 29-10-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
agencies, agent, book, booker, manager, modeling, scout, working