Working for Modeling Agencies ... Becoming an Agent, Booker, Scout, Manager - Page 20 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-07-2016
V.I.P.

Welcome to the Fashion Spot, Joe!

Thanks for sharing this information with us. I know that many readers will be interested in what your personal experience was and what you learned. It's definitely very difficult to break in, but it seems that doing your research and finding a way to get to the people who hire certainly helps.

As you can see... I merged it with the existing thread on this topic and so you know, this is why: We like to keep things (on topic) like this together and don't allow threads that are restricted to just one person's personal experience. But we do encourage everyone to add what they have experienced to existing threads. So, again, thank you!

Last edited by BetteT; 10-07-2016 at 11:37 AM.
10-07-2016
windowshopping

Hey guys, I Recently interviewed with Society in NY. They were looking for someone related to just finance. And given the desperate need for such a person and my eagerness to be on the "creative" side I'm not sure how leniant they would have been to have me eventually move over. In other words, the interview was just for a "accounts/finance" manager.

In any case, Inwalked away with meeting some sweat heart people. I'm back at it. I have a thorough educational track and relevant work experience. If anyone is looking to bolster there team I'm looking to work in Operations/Management side, hopefully, at a top Modeling Agency in NY.

Sepás Guzáraam!!

14-07-2016
fashion insider

^^^ Thanks for sharing your experience, Joe. I can’t offer you any leads unfortunately, but if it’s any consolation, your experience is not all that different from how someone who is overqualified for a role— but extremely enthusiastic, and full of potential, is treated.

I have an ongoing professional relationship with the model agencies in my city (even contributing in recommending new faces), and from time, have gotten to known the various personalities of the bookers, who also work as scouts. Some have been great, generous, passionate and just good individuals, not just to learn from (because one can never learn enough in a day), but simply hardworking people. Others… Some horror stories, but I always get the impression they may have landed the position simply by virtue of knowing someone— or just being around the scene, rather than on sharp skills. But that’s a commonality, a weakness, of any industry.

One thing that seems to be a constance with the bookers I’ve come across is, they do tend to jump ship often… If I haven’t worked with an agency in a while, I’ll find out from a friend who’s a model with that agency that so-and-so is no longer a booker there, and has left for another agency. It does seem like they’re just all out for themselves when you see that happening often… Maybe it’s that kind of behaviour that keeps the industry from progressing…

Best of luck.

03-09-2016
front row

Hi everyone,

In the past couple of years I have shared my stories about applying for positions in Agencies here in Paris.
Well, I have a lot of experience in model casting but I am now a self-employed Model Scout, so proud !
However, I would like to become a Model Agent, I want to be more acquainted with model booking, anywhere in the world. I just want more experience.
Would anyone know a few websites where agencies are more likely to post new job opportunities?
Fashionjobs.com is alright but I wish there were a few more!

Thank you

V.I.P.

Here's a company that's located in the Los Angeles area ... not sure if they show listings for jobs any where else. This is the Agency/Management jobs they have: http://www.entertainmentcareers.net/jcat.asp?jcat=103

I don't know anything about this company, or even if you have to pay for leads or not ... but you said anywhere ... so hope this helps.

04-09-2016
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Here's a company that's located in the Los Angeles area ... not sure if they show listings for jobs any where else. This is the Agency/Management jobs they have: http://www.entertainmentcareers.net/jcat.asp?jcat=103

I don't know anything about this company, or even if you have to pay for leads or not ... but you said anywhere ... so hope this helps.
Thank you!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
agencies, agency, agent, book, booker, casting, fashion, industry, manager, modeling, operations, scout, scouting, work, working