How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-12-2005
scenester

^^Then why do people refer to models as nothing more than coathangers and "anorexic wallpaper?"
they certainly put a whole helluva lot of energy into developing these randomly picked women for them to eventually be treated for the most part like second-class celebs. What im trying to convey is that it is just so weird that models are rarely ever named and listed in mags in the editorials, and they are rarely ever talked about as a real business people or celebrities.

They are treated inferiorly by the business it seems, yet regarded with such high standards. It doesn't make any sense, the concept of a model. Your average person has no idea how hard models work, or who they really are, or what their names are, despite the fact that they are so visible.
Designers don't even talk about them like the co-workers and employees they are. Most designers seem to mock models, or for the most part be completely unenthused about them, and find the hiring of them to be like a chore, or find them appealing for only a brief moment in time. If models are so important, why are they not treated like real business people? Why are they just automatically expected to be and look a certain way, when they are the most important salesperson of the clothing and thus should be treated with the most respect? Even agents don't seem to treat models with the value that they deserve, which is strange because the agent isn't the one selling the product, the model is.

21-12-2005
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by it's happening
^^Then why do people refer to models as nothing more than coathangers and "anorexic wallpaper?"
they certainly put a whole helluva lot of energy into developing these randomly picked women for them to eventually be treated for the most part like second-class celebs. What im trying to convey is that it is just so weird that models are rarely ever named and listed in mags in the editorials, and they are rarely ever talked about as a real business people or celebrities.

They are treated inferiorly by the business it seems, yet regarded with such high standards. It doesn't make any sense, the concept of a model. Your average person has no idea how hard models work, or who they really are, or what their names are, despite the fact that they are so visible.
Designers don't even talk about them like the co-workers and employees they are. Most designers seem to mock models, or for the most part be completely unenthused about them, and find the hiring of them to be like a chore, or find them appealing for only a brief moment in time. If models are so important, why are they not treated like real business people? Why are they just automatically expected to be and look a certain way, when they are the most important salesperson of the clothing and thus should be treated with the most respect? Even agents don't seem to treat models with the value that they deserve, which is strange because the agent isn't the one selling the product, the model is.

Ditto

21-12-2005
V.I.P.

correct!

Quote:
if you can't get a scout's attention, then you supposedly aren't model material.

23-12-2005
scenester

i don't understand the last responses.
stef, ditto as to what?

arse, you agree that's true, even though the role of a scout is practically nonexistant since most models don't get scouted? it's already been established that the role of a scout is almost as fake as the "discovery" stories are.
most models spend much time working hard, discovering the jobs and opportunities themselves, rather than waiting for other people to do it for them. Linda E and Steph Seymour are good examples of how self-made models really are.

Im really confused as to what everyone's opinion of this is and why people still seem to believe that scouts are miracle-workers.

23-12-2005
princely

Nobody said scouts are miracle workers, the role of the scout if to find the model, and bring them to the agency. Theyre not the agents of the models, and scouts are often how models are found, especially in London.

23-12-2005
scenester

^but they are credited as miracle workers because people firmly believe that:
if you can't get a scout's attention, then you supposedly aren't model material.

Since most working/visible models never got scouted and became successful if not more than supposedly 'scouted' models, how important or useful or even real are scouts to agencies, and why do people still believe that you will never be a model unless a scout says you could be one?
in examining the role of scouting, it appears that most of their job consists of fabricating background stories, not finding people with potential.

if what im seeing is true, i think believing that '
if you can't get a scout's attention, then you supposedly aren't model material' is a bunch of stupid nonsense.

28-12-2005
scenester

I don't believe that all these girls think they aren't model material or didn't try to try out modeling seriously at some point in time....this article reeks of pseudo-modesty.

28-12-2005
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_nz
you have such a cool job man

acid was there any people from theones2watch at NZ or Aus fashion week? or do they mainly go to the big fashion weeks like new york etc?
im not sure if Rosie goes to the shows or not, i wouldnt think so, shes not really into all of that

i just do London Paris and Milan at the moment
im so excited to be taking care of my ones2watch at milan mens week in a few weeks time! now that im 20 im like the big brother
fooking 16 year olds

28-12-2005
V.I.P.

First of all you're generalizing what a "scout" is or more so, you're not getting what the role is about, IMO. SOME successfully commercialized models HAVE BEEN scouted while others not. Modeling scouts are like Sports Scouts. They discover a great athlete or sometimes they have a potential and the athlete didnt live up to ones expectation , it happens. Look at Michael Jordan, he was turned down many times by Sports scouts...even went on criticizing...him as a mediocre athlete or not an athlete material at all. Look at him now he's a LEGEND....one of , if not THE best Sportsman ever lived! The same goes for modeling. Same concept but different 'theme'.

Why being scouted is more of a grand story as opposed to one who just walked in an agency and became successful? Well, like every story people prefer something with depth. More excitement. Walk-ins are boring. So people will always remember and stick with a plain jane working as a dishwasher and was discovered...blah blah blah...voila!....a CINDERELLA STORY! Walk-ins + successful = BORING. It's just how society is. Nothing wrong with it. And it doesn't mean it's fake , fabricated etc...

...most of the time if an agent/scout (i for one, always pegged the 2 as one and not seperate entity) do not approach you, per se, you are not model material. Sorry, but egos will be deflated with this but it is the truth. IF someone in the industry has approached you and commented with: "have you ever thought of modeling?" ....or ...."do you model?" ......."what agency are you with?".... than I suggest you should heed their call and contact an agency. IF a friend/s or family tells you "you should model", be cautious because they don't have a TRAINED EYE for these things. And certainly egos will be deflated when you face the expert. It's just the way it is.

...last but not least, you could also be a walk-in and become successful. But that's usually not a FRONT PAGE story. If you git my drift?

Quote:
^but they are credited as miracle workers because people firmly believe that:

Since most working/visible models never got scouted and became successful if not more than supposedly 'scouted' models, how important or useful or even real are scouts to agencies, and why do people still believe that you will never be a model unless a scout says you could be one?
in examining the role of scouting, it appears that most of their job consists of fabricating background stories, not finding people with potential.

if what im seeing is true, i think believing that ' if you can't get a scout's attention, then you supposedly aren't model material' is a bunch of stupid nonsense.

19-02-2006
backstage pass

How to become a booker?
Could someone tell me how to become it?

19-02-2006
V.I.P.

I merged all the booker and scout threads into one...I hope you find your answer among the posts....if not maybe one of our members can answer your question.

21-02-2006
scenester

FraItlay you can try interning at a local agency.. or take Marketing/Comm

21-02-2006
backstage pass

Thanks!My dream is to work in Tokyo.I m going to go in August,so i ll contact some agencies.
I m at the last year of high school.

21-02-2006
V.I.P.

not necessarily. most didn't have the industry's background-- at least not in the NYC area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEtoile
You have to have worked in the industry for a while. Start off with an internship somewhere, like booking at a model agency.

Last edited by smartarse; 21-02-2006 at 09:08 AM.
22-03-2006
LMM
windowshopping

Career's in modeling agencies
Hi I live in Florida and I attend FSU. I was just wondering what degree or degree's would be appropriate if planning on working at a modeling agency. I dont think i necessarily want to be an agent, but I'm not exactly sure what other profitable jobs there are in working for an agency. any help would be great. thanks.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
agencies, agent, book, booker, manager, modeling, scout, working