How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-03-2006
V.I.P.

Re: Careers in modeling agencis.

I think that being a booker (agent) is pretty much it, except for maybe a filing clerk/receptionist and probably someone who does the bookkeeping to collect payments from clients, calculate percentages and to cut checks to pay the models when the clients actually pay. A booker is paid a percentage of what they book.

It's mostly just about making contacts in the industry (clients who use models) and finding and sending out the right models on castings ... a lot of phone and paper work. I don't think that any degree is necessary ... just good networking and sales skills and the ability to deal with very young, insecure and sometimes flakey models and keep them on track.

23-03-2006
LMM
windowshopping

ooh okay, thanks so much for the information!

27-04-2006
windowshopping

What does a booking agent do?
There's a position available in my area for a booking agent with a modeling agency. I have a good idea of what a booking agent does. But I would love for someone to clarify it for me.

27-04-2006
etre soi-meme

a booker is responsible of sending the right models to the right castings, understanding who a client really needs for a job and knows perfectly well the general 'agency strategy' towards the career of each model, as well as the good and bad points of all models managed.

should be very good with organising go-sees and model's timetables and occasionally should be able to work out budget issues for big clients such as PR companies, big publishing houses, designer shows, tv production companies etc.

usually one starts with being an assistant to a booker and works from there.

28-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
a booker is responsible of sending the right models to the right castings, understanding who a client really needs for a job and knows perfectly well the general 'agency strategy' towards the career of each model, as well as the good and bad points of all models managed.

should be very good with organising go-sees and model's timetables and occasionally should be able to work out budget issues for big clients such as PR companies, big publishing houses, designer shows, tv production companies etc.

usually one starts with being an assistant to a booker and works from there.

so whats the best way to get that job? do you need schooling? or do you just call an agent and ask if he or she needs help? im interested! thanks

29-04-2006
etre soi-meme

no schooling required really, just ask for an assisting job and grow from there

06-06-2006
windowshopping

Luisa Models Agency in Munich, Germany, is currently looking for a Booker. Experience is not required, and they say people with a language school degree are welcome.

is 35 too old to start in the business ?

11-08-2006
V.I.P.

Becoming a Agent
How do you become a agent for models????thanks in advance!

11-08-2006
FC5
scenester

The best (only?) way a legitimate agency starts up is when bookers at an established agency decide to break away on their own. They tend to take 'their' models and clients with them so it generally isn't very popular with their old employers.

11-08-2006
V.I.P.

hmmokay,.thanks for the info.... what kind of schooling would i need? It sounds neat.id love to work with models

11-08-2006
yes

the good thing about creative intustries is that you dont actually need to be qualified in anything particularly to be good at what you do, its much more about experience

to be an agent, you can either start working at an agency, if you have no experience you would probhably start as the office manager or tear sheeting models books before you went onto the booking table and doing higher things

alternatively if you scout, you can be mother agent to the ones you find and place them with agencies and manage them that way.

11-08-2006
V.I.P.

thankyou guys! i appreciate it very much

25-09-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyNY
Luisa Models Agency in Munich, Germany, is currently looking for a Booker. Experience is not required, and they say people with a language school degree are welcome.

is 35 too old to start in the business ?
You're only as old as you feel.

18-02-2007
V.I.P.

I recently contacted my local Elite modeling agency about a possible internship. They advised me to e-mail them my resume and that they will be interviewing soon.

My question is, I am a Senior at University with a major in Graphic Design. I'm afraid my resume is short and not at all modeling industry related. What do you think they look for in employers of a modeling agency? What sort of characteristics? What can I do to stand out? Can I be creative (visually) with my resume (to stand out) or are they strictly professional & not interested in creativity/humor?

In case you're wondering, I'm incredibly interested in the position because I have been reading Vogue since I was 10 and am convinced I have a keen eye.

18-02-2007
V.I.P.

They might respond to some humor ... it's a weird and ever changing buisness. Most bookers fancy themselves experts on fashion and such. But fashion skills are not necessary to be a good booker. You just need to have a good eye for potential models, be able to learn what the clients want and produce results for the agency.

Bookers need to be good with people and have some serious sales skills, since they essentially present the models (as theeir product) to prospective clients. They need to be organized and goal oriented as well . It's basically a combination of baby sitting, sales and lots of paperwork.

So I would think that they want someone with good organizational skills, good people skills, flexibility and who is willing to do any kind of work ... even gettin coffee for the boss.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
agencies, agent, book, booker, manager, modeling, scout, working