How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
03-02-2008
  106
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,363
No problem ... an easy fix.

So you know, it's best to always do an advanced search, and set it so it searches thread titles and gives results as threads and to specify the forum, too. Otherwise you get pages and pages and don't really find anything ... there are just so many threads at tFS.

__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/
  Reply With Quote
 
28-03-2008
  107
scenester
 
ZigZagLens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: homme
Posts: 61
I would say look for internships - booking/talent development/etc.. - call and inquire - just do anything to get into an agency and make yourself useful. It might not pay much at first but you can work your way up.

  Reply With Quote
29-03-2008
  108
Amour Comme Hiver
 
KhaoticKharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,397
I'd LOVE to be a receptionist at a modeling agency when I go to college in NYC ( I love how I'm already claiming college in NY, and I'm only a high school junior).

Anyways, who here works in the offices of an agency? How difficult is it to get a job? I know everything is about connections in fashion, so if anybody here works at an agency, keep me in mind!

I would be the happiest camper ever if I got an office job somewhere like Click, Fusion, New York Models, etc. (being surrounded by hot boy models? Someone has to do it!).

__________________
"I say, let's have happy clothes. You could reply that's frivolous in this troubled world, but do you really think dressing like an existential nun with suicidal thoughts is going to solve Bosnia?"

  Reply With Quote
04-04-2008
  109
scenester
 
ZigZagLens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: homme
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKharma View Post
I'd LOVE to be a receptionist at a modeling agency when I go to college in NYC ( I love how I'm already claiming college in NY, and I'm only a high school junior).

Anyways, who here works in the offices of an agency? How difficult is it to get a job? I know everything is about connections in fashion, so if anybody here works at an agency, keep me in mind!

I would be the happiest camper ever if I got an office job somewhere like Click, Fusion, New York Models, etc. (being surrounded by hot boy models? Someone has to do it!).
I don't work in an agency, but I work with a few of them for my photography, and have a couple of good friends who work in big agencies. I'm not going to mention them by name but they're top fashion agencies in NY and LA.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to get your foot in the door in any way you can - receptionist, whatever - but I'd encourage you to take a good look at the talent development internships the big agencies offer now and then. I know there's a lot of competition for the slots, but those of you here on TFS would be at a big advantage for a couple reasons - not the least of which is, you know the industry FAR better than most of the wannabes who apply.

And to a offer a slightly crass tip: much like a lot of PR and marketing agencies, in my experience these agencies do care what you look like, even if you're not going to be in the book.

Over the past couple years I've seen two friends of mine go from being interns to permanent hires within one top agency in particular.

Obviously I can't offer introductions for those of you I don't know, but if you have specific questions or whatever, PM me (I don't check the threads much, even though I love y'all) and I'll be happy to help if I can.

And never be afraid of just e-mailing someone in management and asking for guidance. You'd be surprised how willing some of them are to help.

Good luck!

  Reply With Quote
04-04-2008
  110
tfs star
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derin View Post
OK, I think I found the best source that'll answer most of our questions about being a 'Model Booker'. Jonathan Phang (an expert) simply tells the tricks of the trade in short videos:
http://www.videojug.com/interview/be...a-model-booker
These videos were interesting. It make me wonder when he said that agencies were not eager to have former models working as bookers, because there were things that agencies did not want their former models to know (about agency practices). (not an exact quote)

Now there are obviously former models doing this job, but it made me wonder which practices they were talking about? I assume the cases where the agency puts ITS interests ahead of a model's best interests, like package deals.

  Reply With Quote
14-04-2008
  111
rising star
 
love.cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontenrose View Post
These videos were interesting. It make me wonder when he said that agencies were not eager to have former models working as bookers, because there were things that agencies did not want their former models to know (about agency practices). (not an exact quote)

Now there are obviously former models doing this job, but it made me wonder which practices they were talking about? I assume the cases where the agency puts ITS interests ahead of a model's best interests, like package deals.
Alot of agencies do have former models working for them.... a number i know used to model and it wasnt for them or they got older.....

  Reply With Quote
02-05-2008
  112
front row
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 216
I just emailed many french modeling agencies for internships, and about 10 of them replied back!

  Reply With Quote
02-05-2008
  113
backstage pass
 
Derin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: homme
Posts: 859
^^ Wow, I'm really happy for you chanterdanser. Choose the best one, and don't forget to let us know how you are doing..

  Reply With Quote
26-05-2008
  114
windowshopping
 
sailormoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 39
hi everyone! i was wondering if you're a new faces model can you ask your agency if there are any jobs at the agency? like any job will do lol. Oh and this may be slightly off topic but in august and early september is there much activity in the fashion world, ie do all the fashion involved people go on holiday and such at about this time?
Thanx alllll

  Reply With Quote
26-05-2008
  115
rising star
 
love.cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormoon View Post
hi everyone! i was wondering if you're a new faces model can you ask your agency if there are any jobs at the agency? like any job will do lol. Oh and this may be slightly off topic but in august and early september is there much activity in the fashion world, ie do all the fashion involved people go on holiday and such at about this time?
Thanx alllll
Yes i would definatley ask you agency, especially seeing as you are a new face model, you will inderstand more about tear sheets, portfolios etc so its worth an ask. Also i would say there is always alot of activity in the fashion world, as models are always needed and so the bookers are also always needed, plus not everyone could go on holiday at the same time as there would me no one to run the agency!

  Reply With Quote
26-05-2008
  116
Charm Offensive
 
verna_gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In debt
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZagLens View Post
And to a offer a slightly crass tip: much like a lot of PR and marketing agencies, in my experience these agencies do care what you look like, even if you're not going to be in the book.
You've just confirmed my worst fears!

I've always wanted to work in a model agency but have never actively pursued it because whenever i've seen agency's staff they always look like models themselves - and lets just say, i'm the opposite of a model in every way!

  Reply With Quote
26-05-2008
  117
V.I.P.
 
*Bianca*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 25,752
^That's exactly why I've never pursued it too

__________________
  Reply With Quote
27-05-2008
  118
backstage pass
 
Derin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: homme
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by verna_gold View Post
You've just confirmed my worst fears!

I've always wanted to work in a model agency but have never actively pursued it because whenever i've seen agency's staff they always look like models themselves - and lets just say, i'm the opposite of a model in every way!
That cannot be entirely true. Most of the bookers I know (and I know many in different agencies) are not exceptionally good-looking. Being a good model booker takes much more than that. But on the other hand, no company says no to beautiful/handsome staff.

  Reply With Quote
28-05-2008
  119
rising star
 
love.cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 177
Im sorry i have to totally disagree, most model bookers are not amazingly gorgeous, some yes probably were once models but the reason people probably thinking that is because they work within the fashion industry, which usually means they take care of their apperance and have a good fashion sense.

  Reply With Quote
30-05-2008
  120
front row
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 216
Derin, thank you! I was going to set up interviews with the bookers, but unfortunately my parents have other plans for me this summer. However, I think anyone who wants to work in a model agency should definitely email some agencies! I thought no one would be interested in me since I am only 16 and have no experience, but a few agencies were! and maybe next summer i can work in an agency i hope!

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
agencies, agent, book, booker, manager, modeling, scout, working
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.