How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-11-2011
windowshopping

What, there's a height requirement some places? Insane, I guess you really have to remember what industry you're working in!

26-11-2011
V.I.P.

why is their a height requirement to volunteer at fashion week?!

that is ridiculous. its not like your modelling.

front row

Well I'm talking about these two agencies... Florence Doré and Charlestown.
To get "casted" on a Fashion show to work as a dresser that is! Not volunteering..
So yes you need to be 172cm tall and go through a casting.

Last edited by TrendyMeggy; 27-11-2011 at 08:37 AM.
27-11-2011
V.I.P.

so, you get paid to dress models at Paris Fasion Week?

27-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
To get "casted" on a Fashionshow to work as a dresser that is! Not volunteering..
Paid dresser... volunteer dresser... it's the same thing.

They're obviously just after "promo" girls and guys, who will look pretty, regardless if they are any good at it or have an interest in pr or fashion show production.

Last edited by *Bianca*; 27-11-2011 at 10:49 AM.
27-11-2011
V.I.P.

No ... I beleive that there is a practical reason to require a minimum height and it doesn't have much to do with "image".

I'm a stylist and I work with models for photoshoots so I undertand the practicality of being tall. The models are TALL!! A when they have their heels on, they are way over 6 ft. tall ... often about 6'2" to 6' 4". I have to help them get clothes on over thier heads and zip or button them up, maybe fasten a necklace on them ... while protecting their hair from getting mussed up. So, if you are short, your reach just won't be high enough.

I'm almost 5'7" which is taller than average ... and I still wear shoes that give me a height boost for that reason, when I'm working on set.

Last edited by BetteT; 27-11-2011 at 01:37 PM.
27-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_a_Licious View Post
so, you get paid to dress models at Paris Fasion Week?
Apparently so. Someone said that earlier in the thread as well, so we've hear that twice now. Paid in Paris ... not paid in NY.

27-11-2011
V.I.P.

well, there's that extra bit of incentive!

and i'm tall enough to dress them too!

27-11-2011
V.I.P.

Uh, well I'm 5'0'' and I've had no problem dressing models 5'10''+, and assisting stylists.

If height were a REAL advantage, it would be a widespread prerequisite in hiring dressers and styling assistants, even hairdressers and MUA for touchups in lineup
...and not just for this one company.

Last edited by *Bianca*; 27-11-2011 at 01:56 PM.
27-11-2011
V.I.P.

Well ... you could be right, too ... we won't know unless someone asks them why.

I did take a few minutes on Charlestown's site and it looks like they are mainly a company that provides hostesses/models for promotional events. So, I"m thinking that the height requirement is because their people are considered "models" and that being a "dresser" is just one of the many tasks their models do.

28-11-2011
front row

I'm Charlestown, BetteT you are right, the whole process of casting etc is similar to model castings.. they took a shot of me after my interview for example.
The height requirement is real, maybe not for all the jobs they offer but for fashion related jobs it can be if the client asks for specific requirements.

Last edited by TrendyMeggy; 28-11-2011 at 04:28 AM.
28-12-2011
rising star

I know that I'll probably get some semblance of a gig for the upcoming Fall '12 shows (through my school or whatever), but I was wondering if MBFW is strict about their application timelines. I want to email my resume since they haven't voided the "Volunteer" page.

Q: Anyone have any experience with sending resumes post-deadline? And also, what do they look for in resumes? Backstage always seems under prepared regardless.

windowshopping

I just recently moved to New York for school, so I had the opportunity to volunteer at a few shows this past NYFW. I got most of my shows from signing up through my school (FIT). They had around 40 lists of shows that needed volunteers - from ushers to dressers to photographers to working backstage - you name it. Each show needed several (around 5-7) people to work. We all got the chance to sign up for shows that we were available for. Because I wasn't able to sign up in time, I only got to do a few small shows at Lincoln Center consisting of new designers (which was surprisingly pleasant). My friend got to do Rag and Bone and Perry Ellis. He snagged up Perry Ellis by being at Rag and Bone - they needed a few more volunteers, so they just asked the volunteers and R&B to help out. They also take down your names at shows to contact you in the future to help out. When leaving shows, always thank the person in charge of volunteering and try to leave a good impression on them - THIS IS HOW YOU GET CONTACTED TO DO FUTURE/OTHER SHOWS.

I hope my comment helped answer some questions. I'm still new to all of this, as well.

Last edited by BetteT; 29-12-2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Splitting post between 2 threads ... this and "Attending FW Shows"
10-07-2012
windowshopping

I was selected for a screening interview to volunteer at Mercedes-Benz NYFW by IMG. Does anyone know how should I be preparing for this interview? What should I wear, what materials should I bring, and what kind of questions will they be asking me?

14-11-2012
windowshopping

Help to understand Front of House and Back of House Usher (Fashion Volunteers)
Hello there, I am Edward.

I would like to ask what do Front of House and Back of House usher actually mean? And what are the volunteers gonna do if they get that job for fashion week?

This is my very first experience on fashion week volunteer, so I am completely lost.

So if anybody would love to share anything about those ushering thing, I would be very very grateful.

Thanks heaps in advance.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, shows, volunteering, week, working