How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-01-2007
front row

I found a great resource on the Net with interviews from former volunteers, their boss, etc. Check it out here.

Good luck fashionandstyle1! Maybe I'll see you there while I'm reporting for Stylebites! :-)

10-01-2007
front row

It's possible to volunteer with NY Fashion Week, just apply soon!

Check out more on my blog, Stylebites. :-)

10-01-2007
front row

IMG is still looking for volunteers but apply soon!

Good luck! Stylebites

10-01-2007
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylebites
It's possible to volunteer with NY Fashion Week, just apply soon!

Check out more on my blog, Stylebites. :-)

How do you go about volunteering???

10-01-2007
scenester

Do you have to send a resume??

10-01-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc jacobs addict
Does anyone know anything about volunteering at Paris Fashion Week?
Are there any groups that anyone knows of like "Ground Crew" in NY?

Thanks.
paris usually hires people from certain agencies which is good because they get paid then some brands like Ysl just work with the people from there studio

trendsetter

I e-mailed IMG about volunteering but they never e-mailed me back .

13-01-2007
front row

Usually the photo agencies are also looking for interns with experience working with photo software on computers.

...but you get stuck behind the laptop downloading pics all day!

19-02-2007
windowshopping

Fashion Show Jobs
I want to volunteer at a fashion show and on the application process they require you to state what position you would like to work on. So here are a few that I'm not sure of what they exactly entitle to.

SPONSORSHIP VOLUNTEER
BACKSTAGE (what exactly you do backstage?)
FASHION ENVIRONMENT
RUNWAY ROOM
RUNNER

any help would be gladly appreciated as the deadline is this week.

Thanks!

front row

"Backstage" generally covers jobs like Runner and Runway Room. It depends on whether you approach a production company working with a fashion house or the fashion house itself.

A sponsorship volunteer is generally someone representing and 'greeting' for corporate sponsors investing funds in a show and a collection. You'll stand around either showing people into their seats or pouring their drinks for them backstage. Waste of time, IMO. You won't really get to see the nuts'n'bolts of fashion shows, which is, presumably, the aspect that attracts you.

Many fashion houses will certainly take on extra help before and during showtime on an internship basis. Bluntly, this means 'no pay'. However, it's a very good introduction to how things work. You can learn quite a lot doing this. I don't know what your eventual aims are but would suggest that you get in touch with designers and houses to ask about short showtime internships. If knocked back initially, persevere. Someone out there will be glad of some keen - free! - help.

It looks very good on resumés and CVs. Go for it! Be prepared to go to NYC or even further afield, though.

PK

20-02-2007
windowshopping

Thanks Prosperk! I think I'll apply for the backstage part. I'm doing it for networking, internship and cv purpose. It's a huge event here in Canada so It'll look good on my resume.

windowshopping

What to wear to work at a Fashion Show.
Hi, don't know if this is in the appropriate section, feel free to move it.

I'm volunteering for Fashion Week and would like to know what to wear. On the volunteer letter they sent us, it says to wear professional clothing, black pants or skirt and they'll give us a volunteer t-shirt. I don't wanna show up there over dressed. Do they mean a casual pair of black pants/skirt? Should I wear flats or heels? I've just never volunteered at a fashion show and don't want to be over/under dressed.

Pls give any advice.

Thanks.

front row

Depends on whether you're front of house or backstage. Generally, you can't go far wrong with a smart black skirt suit with high heels etc if greeting people out front. If running about backstage, smart black pants with black pumps - Vivier style, for example - will be just fine: even if the teeshirt is horrible, at least people with know that you know how to dress. At a push, brand new black jeans like the ones Helmut Lang used to sell might be acceptable but they have to look shelf-fresh. Pants are OK for front of house too but check with the people you're working for.

Hope this helps.

PK

10-03-2007
front row

Depends on whether you're front of house or backstage. Black is good for all the reasons you can think of. Generally, you can't go far wrong with a smart black skirt suit with high heels etc if greeting people out front and showing guests to seats etc etc.

If running about backstage, smart black pants with black pumps - Vivier style, for example - will be just fine. Even if the teeshirt is the kind of thing you would be embarrassed to give to the homeless, at least people will know that you know how to dress.

At a push, brand new black jeans like the ones Helmut Lang used to sell might be acceptable but they have to look shelf-fresh. Pants are OK for front of house too but check with the people you're working for.

Hope this helps.

PK

Last edited by prosperk; 10-03-2007 at 01:13 PM.
10-03-2007
V.I.P.

Black is always good for any work in fashion and especially at shows, since the crew and staff need to be more or less anonymous ... so the runway is the center of attention. Keep everything plain black and you won't go wrong ... even if you go a bit too casual or too dressy ... it won't be noticed.

If you will be a "dresser" ... comfort is key because you have to move fast and furiously so wear anything you can move in and that won't get too hot in, but no sweats or jeans, I would say based on that letter. And keep accessories to the bare minimum so they don't get in the way.

If you are greeting the public, wear something a little nicer .. nice tailored pants or a skirt with black tights would be nice, add comfortable dress shoes, and perhaps a nice black jacket in case you might be outside. And unless you will be sitting ... taking tickets or something like that ... wear flats or shoes that you can stand in for a long time because you'll be on your feet the whole time.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, shows, volunteering, week, working