How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-12-2010
windowshopping

I got lucky and found an internship at a small but prominent PR firm in New York City over the summer. When NY Fashion Week came around in September, even though I had already started school, I was able to go back into New York to help out with the fashion shows at Lincoln Center (and a couple shows downtown in the Chelsea and Soho areas). Sometimes once the show started, I had to stand back near the photo pit, but this actually turned out to be a great location because a few minutes later, Anna Wintour walked in and took a seat at the very end of the runway, right near the photographers.

And a very few lucky times, the interns were asked to fill front row seats. So I actually got to sit front row at a Monique Lhuillier show, just a few seats down from Olivia Palmero and Emma Roberts. So amazing.

Basically, I would get in touch with the PR firms. This article is a bit outdated, but it has a list of the PR reps for most major designers.

Usually the PR firms like to use their interns with past experience, but it wouldn't hurt to see if they can take on a few Fashion Week volunteers.

28-12-2010
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitumpah View Post
I'd be SO interested in volunteering for fashion week, but i guess it wont happen soon since i dont have any fashion related job experiences (or general work whatsoever), i dont attend a fashion school (i'm still in high school), and i dont have connections (i know few people who works in this business but they are no help) so no luck for now, am i right? :/
This is my problem! I'm a high school sophomore, I have no job experience in fashion (not even retail), and zero connections. I suppose my location doesn't help all that much either (rural Pennsylvania)... I would love to get involved at Fashion Week, it just seems so impossible. I'm hoping maybe as a high school senior or college student I might be able to do something like this.

26-02-2011
V.I.P.

anybody volunteering for Toronto Fashion Week this march? im looking for people who's experienced and what they thought about volunteering and what to expect.

front row

Soooo yeah i did it!
I contacted all the press contacts i found, and as expected i got very few replies.
But anyway i got a meeting with this press agency that works for these 2 big (but irrelevant for my point of view ahah) names, and i helped them a week before their shows.
(they let me choose the time etc it was all up to me)
They told me the people working in the backstage hire volunteers from fashion schools cause they need to be skilled in order to helping them.
I did simple stuff like helping with invites, went to few fashion related events, saw how the lists worked, got few gift bags, and of course attended 2 shows from a good and close view and also the backstage and I stood at the entrance with the pr people with the lists.

21-06-2011
front row

who do i get about when it comes to copenhagen fw?

07-08-2011
trendsetter

I'm bumping this thread as nobody seems to be on it anymore!

I've searched EVERYWHERE for an answer, but can't seem to find one. Does anyone have any idea on how to volunteer for London Fashion Week this year? As in, the one that's next month?

V.I.P.

I'm not in London, so I can't help. But ... if you have not read this entire thread, you can do a search of it (see it on the nav bar, upper right) and use keyword "london" and you'll find previous conversations in theis thread about London ... not sure if anyone came up with anything or not.

16-08-2011
scenester

Does anyone have any ideas about how a first-year fashion design student with no previous experience could get an internship/job helping out at fashion week? Is it even possible? Thanks.

rising star

Which Fashion Week?

scenester

New York, sorry.

V.I.P.

There's already tidbits of information in this thread about how one gets to volunteer at a fashion week show ... I suggest your read it to see what you can find.

22-11-2011
V.I.P.

I would like to be a volunteer for the next Paris Fashion Week, but I don't know who to contact... if anyone can give advices...would be really appreciated

23-11-2011
V.I.P.

You can be "dresser" during the Paris Fashion Week with these 2 agencies : Florence Doré and Charlestown,
and you have a pay normally. (A friend does it each Paris Fashion Week and she already did some big shows and dressed the best models...)

Go on : florencedore.fr and charlestown-iss.com

Florence Doré is much better for girls. It's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine27 View Post
I would like to work (unpaid work) in an agency during Paris Fashion Week or like dressing the models backstages at the shows. Has anyone already done this? Could you give me some advices? (who I should contact etc..)
Thank you very much in advance

Last edited by capt.charly; 23-11-2011 at 02:12 PM.
26-11-2011
front row

I am with Charlestown, you have to be 172cm tall in order to work on Fashion shows and of course you have to go through a casting to get selected.
I just applied to Florence Doré, I hope they'll reply soon!

26-11-2011
V.I.P.

you have to be a certain height just to HELP them backstage and even go through a casting???

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, shows, volunteering, week, working