How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-01-2010
backstage pass

Written Goals/Plans to Acheive a Career Goal
I was talking with someone today who when she was 15 created a 10-year career plan and has achieved every goal she set. Just got me thinking about my own career goals and wondering if I should have a plan.

Does anyone have any goals or plans? I'd love to hear!

07-01-2010
oh! darling

I have often believed that if you see your goals on a poster up on a door or wall or someplace you'll see it everyday that you'll reach every goal.

I personally don't have goals because my only goal is to move to another city where I think I will get so many more opportunities than this dump. THEN, I'll step up some goals.

front row

One of my biggest goals is to work for teen vogue, i think it's such an amazing magazine and i would love to work for them.

V.I.P.

I think that it's very important to have long term written goals. I know that the most successful people set out a plan for themsleves, as set of goals. It can be as simple as just getting into the right school by a certain date ... but it will have to become more complex as you learn about what you need to do to become a sucess.

I've always been a poor goal setter (I'm great with short term goals, but not long term). In fact, I wish I would take the time and energy to do this right ... I am convinced that it would help me achieve a lot more.

An actual plan, with written goals is usually a 5 or 10 year plan that outlines the steps that one needs to execute in order to reach a final career goal. Just stating what you would like to do is not a plan or even considered a goal, unless you know how you intned to achieve it. A goal plan is a well researched document that you create for yourself, that lays out all of the steps (lesser goals, if you will) that you will need to take to reach that ultimate goal. And, it usually includes a time frame within which you want to achieve each step.

Last edited by BetteT; 07-01-2010 at 02:26 PM.
10-01-2010
backstage pass

I have both long and short term goals. They are my mental escape from daily crap.

10-01-2010
windowshopping

My goal is to get into Columbia University. I think I want to practice international law after that (and law school, of course)...either in the UK or Sweden.

11-01-2010
trendsetter

I wrote a long term goal in 6th grade that I was going to go to Columbia or Princeton (I even bought a Princeton hoodie), but I got rejected to both come senior year of high school. I think as important as long term goals is setting short term goals that will help reach your long term goals.

I should have written "get straight A's in every semester" as short term goals. I thought I could get away with a few B's in my transcript since I took a lot of college level courses in high school, but I guess it didn't work.

Anyways, my long term goal now is to become a successful photographer before I turn 30. Short term goals? Find a photography internship every summer to help me learn the in and outs of photography.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
acheive, career, goal, goals or plans, written