How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

26-03-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somnambule
beautiful pictures,purplelucrezia.lillian gish seems so fragile yet you can always sense her inner strength.
do you know which films they´ll show?is it a festival?
- The Scarlett Letter
- An Unseen Enemy/ Broken Blossoms
- The Cobweb
- The Wind
- Annie Laurie
- The Night of the Hunter
- La Boheme
- Duel in the Sun
- The Lady and the Mouse/ True Heart Susie (plus a lecture)
- Orphans of the Storm
- Way Down East

I'll admit that I haven't yet been able to see any of hers, so I'm very excited about this opportunity! It's actually not a festival dedicated exclusively to her movies, but the art gallery has it's own movie theatre. I suppose, then, that they just decided to compose a sort of tribute to them... Oh, and they're having live piano playing (as is historically accurate) to accompany the movies, which sounds great to me!

[QUOTE=fashionbébé]
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplelucrezia
I found a couple sites on Anna May Wong. She was really a groundbreaking actress!

purple lucrezia, this is THE BEST. i'm chinese myself and found this incredibly fascinating. as well as the rest of this topic. you folks are exposing me to a wonderful world of fashion. thank you.
I'm definitely going to get to reading them very soon! It's so amazing being to share information here... I'm thrilled that you've enjoyed the topic and are becoming increasingly interested in her.

Last edited by purplelucrezia; 26-03-2005 at 01:38 PM.

27-03-2005
backstage pass

that´s a great list.i would especially love to see la bohčme and the wind.what is so impressive about lillian gish is that her career lasted 7 decades but she never sold herself.she always put artistry over commerce.despite her looks she was a very strong woman ,emancipated at a time when this wasn´t common.that´s why the studio bosses (louis b. mayer) wanted to get rid of her at the end of the silent era.but she awlays came back with great performances.when i saw the whales of august,her last film,i couldn´t believe thatz she was already 93/94 years old at that time.she was still full of grace and dignity.bette davis looked much older than her even though she was 15 years younger.
purplelucrezia and orchide,you´re both lucky that you have the chance to see silent films on a big screen.it must be an amazing experience especially with live music !

lillian and dorothy:

-emily bronte-

Last edited by somnambule; 27-03-2005 at 05:50 AM.

27-03-2005
Been things & seen places

it makes such a difference to see the film as it was intended for sure!

i love it! somnubule, i feel you deserve to experience this yourself...you are such a knowledgable fan...i know you would appreciate it more than you could imagine

29-03-2005
backstage pass

thanks orchide .yes,i really hope i´ll get the chance one day .

-emily bronte-

04-04-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by somnambule
thanks orchide .yes,i really hope i´ll get the chance one day .
I am a super happy girl today:p I got in the mail a lot of Colleen Moore pc's and autographs and Louise Brooks 8x 10's and a dvd of Clara Bow's Mantrap and Capital Punishment together....yay
I am going in a bit to a big screen showing of "Miss Lulu Betts" at the Silent Movie Theatre...wish you could join us Somnubule
It stars Lois Wilson who I haven't seen on big screen before...looks like a good one! I will report back on it...

04-04-2005

ps- i just opened up the autographs of Colleen and when I touched where she wrote, it made me tear up...so weird to think I own this
i will scan all the stuff when I can to show how beautiful it all is

Last edited by Orchide; 04-04-2005 at 08:38 PM.

06-04-2005
backstage pass

oh yes,please post them.i wolud love to see them .

have you already had the chance to watch mantrap ?how´s the quality of the dvd?i have mantrap on video in a very,very poor quality .i guess it´s a copy from a copy from a copy.....i didn´t know that when i bought it,since the seller didn´t even mention it in his description .that´s the annoying thing about ebay.so many sellers make a fortune there by selling poor quality copies.i´ve made several bad experiences.meanwhile i prefer to shop at amazon.com.so far i´ve never been disappointed with what i got.unfortunately thier catalogue of silent films is rather limited.
i haven´t seen a lois wilson film either.i think i saw pictures of her in an old cinema- book,but i´m not sure because i always mix her up with lois moran .let me know how you liked the film.

-emily bronte-

06-04-2005

you can see her for a bit in "bright eyes"- early 30's as Sherley Temple's mom

this movie was terrific by the way...directed by William de Mille Cecil's brother. Her acting was sooooo good in this.
they showed some great shorts b/f the feature...a Harry Langdon and a Koko the Clown and a Buster Keaton one too:p
I am going to a screening tonight of a collector's reels- some shorts and a Mario Lanza feature. very nice...was so facinating going to see "miss Lulu Betts" b/c we ran into so many silent fans and collectors...this man I have met b/f was there and he knew MMM he was telling me stories about having dinner with her...wild!
all my new Colleen and Louise stuff I will have to scan somewhere to show you- I don't have a scanner- I will though b/c I wanna show somebody
ps- my "Mantrap" is okay- certainly not the best...I really wanted it though. I wonder if you got your's from the same guy.
Where did yours come from that was so fuzzy?

Last edited by Orchide; 14-08-2006 at 03:40 AM.

06-04-2005
backstage pass

thanks for these beautiful pics!

i´m leading a scannerless existence too...i feel a bit underprivileged sometimes .

your experiences sound like silent film heaven to me !!!!!i live here in what i would call a silent film lover´s limbo .

it´s interesting that de mille had a brother who was a director too.i didn´t know that.

unfortunately i can´t even remember the seller´s name (from whom i bought "mantrap)....i bought the video about 3 years ago.stupid as í am it could happen that i stumble across one of his offer again and end up buying it not knowing that......

here are 4 postcards that i bought recently (scanned by the seller):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polanegri-pk.jpg (17.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg bettyamann-pkarte.jpg (17.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg brigittehelm-pk.jpg (67.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg vilmabanky_pk.jpg (88.2 KB, 21 views)

-emily bronte-

Last edited by somnambule; 06-04-2005 at 02:25 PM.

06-04-2005

oh my! those are beautiful- especially the ones of vilma and brigitte loving the drama.
gorgeous...

09-04-2005
backstage pass

i´m glad you liked them :p !i hope you´ll find a friendly scanner-owning person,because i would love to see your treasures .

here´s another beautiful brigitte helm-postcard,offered by the same seller.i would have loved to buy it,but since it was autographed the price was too high for me.
picture nr.2 is a postcard of elisabeth bergner,an austrian-german silent film actress (she became even more famous after the silent film era).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brigittehelm-pk1h.jpg (97.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg elisabethbergner.jpg (16.4 KB, 11 views)

-emily bronte-

10-04-2005
a dim capacity for wings

(*interrupting the insiders*) that elisabeth bergner picture is wonderful somnambule, she had such a great, cool elegance

10-04-2005
backstage pass

so beautiful and inspirational!

I love how Ellen Von Unwerth is so obviously attracted to this period too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brw20030731a002.jpg (32.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg brw20030731a003.jpg (28.1 KB, 40 views)

10-04-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna karina
(*interrupting the insiders*) that elisabeth bergner picture is wonderful somnambule, she had such a great, cool elegance
very funny:p
please do interupt and join us we insist!

11-04-2005
backstage pass

anna carina,it´s great to see you here !!i agree with orchide,you should "interrupt" us more often :p.
i have to join you´re elisabeth bergner thread.this postcard of EB reminded of one of your lotte lenya-pics.do you remember which one i mean?

-emily bronte-

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1920s, 2004, 2010, actresses, february, november