How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

21-03-2005
Been things & seen places

here is one of anita page who i have met:

21-03-2005

here is madge bellamy- so adorable!

21-03-2005

people who met delores del rio said she was the most beautiful and most impeccably dressed woman ever.

21-03-2005

21-03-2005
front row

These are the Dolly Sisters, not actors really but performers, they though did a few movies, I think they diserve a few pictures of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DollySisters4.JPG (32.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Dollysisters7.jpg (44.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DollySisters2.jpg (46.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: gif Dollysisters5.GIF (99.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DollySisters6.jpg (34.6 KB, 14 views)

21-03-2005
backstage pass

orchide,lousie brook DID have the dutch bob before colleen moore.there are pictures in her book "lulu in berlin and hollywood" that show her with that haircut when she was only 14 years old,which was around 1920/21.colleen bobbed her hair to get the role of pat in "flaming youth" in 1923.she had worn long hair/curls before.but even though she bobbed her hair several years later than louise colleen was the one who made the dutch bob famous at a time when louise hadnīt even started her acting career.louise is more popular and well-known nowadays than colleen ,i guess thatīs why everbody thinks that louise was the one who first introduced the dutch bob in the movies.

itīs great that you had the chance to meet anita page .could you talk to her personally?how did she look like??ahh,sorry,iīm so curious.i like her a lot .

some favourites of mine (iīm excluding clara and louise here,because there are already lots of pictures of them in this thread):

1 and 2 alla nazimova
3 and 4 olga baclanova#
5 marie prevost
6 betty amann
7 lillian gish
8 brigitte helm
9 betty compson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bettyamann.jpg (5.2 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg allanazimova8.jpg (223.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg allanazimova1.jpg (18.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg lillianGish81.jpg (9.4 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg brigitteHelm89.jpg (7.3 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg bettyCompson02.jpg (5.8 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg marieprevost-pk.jpg (75.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg olgabaclanova.h.jpg (56.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg olgabaclanova01.jpg (32.5 KB, 3 views)

-emily bronte-

Last edited by somnambule; 21-03-2005 at 09:52 AM.

21-03-2005
backstage pass

ms tallulah.

Last edited by LoveKylie; 21-03-2005 at 10:13 AM.

21-03-2005

hi somnambule!
it was real late when i posted and the distinction i meant re. the bob is how you phrased it- so thanks for clarifying! i have pics of louise growing up so i knew thar she had that look- i was trying to say colleen was in films b/f...it is sad b/c most of colleen's great films aren't here anymore. i attended a screening recently where they screened recovered film and the chairperson gave this apt parallel: Trying to explain how Colleen was the number one box office draw and how huge she was w/o these films to show someone, is like going ahead 100 years and trying to explain how big Julia Roberts was w/ only a few of her lesser films and no "pretty woman" or "steel magnolias" or anything else.
I used to be friedns with an older man who knew her. He would tell fabulous stories!
I got to meet Anita Page at the 70th anniversary of "Our Modern Maidens" and she came with her grandson and was all dolled up so cute, with her nails done even.
They read the original review of the film b/f the screening and it said how she stole the picture from Joan.
Afterwards, there was a reception and I had a nice little chat with her.
She whispered to her grandson- but i could hear her- "see? i even have young fans!"
I told her I thought the review was right about her stealing the show...she said, " well, that is what they said back then and they are saying it again here tonight! Must be true!" in this really adorable innocent voice.
she was a real character.
I also got to attend Mary Pickford's cenntenial birthday celebration- of course she was gone already but douglas fairbank jr. was there and her husband buddy rogers...he gave such a great talk about her...everyone ws in tears!
i love nazimova
i just read a good bio on her...i love her art deco "camille"...i want that bed!!!

i also love the dolly sisters- thanks for the pics!
they were gorgeous.

21-03-2005
backstage pass

some more...

1 nita naldi
2 norma shearer
3 alice white
4 vilma banky
5 pola negri
6 marion davies
7 alice terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nitanaldi-stillh.jpg (28.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg normashearer-flower.jpg (24.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg alicewhite-bracelets.jpg (29.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg vilmabanky373.jpg (35.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg polanegri1.jpg (24.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg mariondavies.jpg (70.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg aliceTerry07.jpg (8.3 KB, 370 views)

-emily bronte-

21-03-2005
backstage pass

orchide,
i canīt believe you had the chance to meet all these peopel .youīre so lucky !!i live in germany,so i can only dream of such encounters .it makes me so sad that most of the people from this era are dead now,even douglas fairbanks jr. and buddy rogers.you were so lucky that you had the chance to meet them.anita page is the only one i can think of who is still alive.

----------------------------
"it is sad b/c most of colleen's great films aren't here anymore. i attended a screening recently where they screened recovered film and the chairperson gave this apt parallel: Trying to explain how Colleen was the number one box office draw and how huge she was w/o these films to show someone, is like going ahead 100 years and trying to explain how big Julia Roberts was w/ only a few of her lesser films and no "pretty woman" or "steel magnolias" or anything else."
------------------------------------

very well said.i hope that colleen will get the recoginiton she deserves one day.itīs funny that louise brooks is so famous and popular now becuase back then she wasnīt even half as popular as colleen.
clara bow was rather forgotten too but she got rediscovered in the 90īs.films reappeared ,got restored and merchandised.i think there are about 5 films available on dvd and video at amazon.com (even though i canīt understand why they chose to offer parisian love,which has to be one of her worst,instead of offering a film like mantrap).one can only hope that colleen will have her renaissance one day too.i would love to see flaming youth.....and so big !!

---------------------------------
"I got to meet Anita Page at the 70th anniversary of "Our Modern Maidens" and she came with her grandson and was all dolled up so cute, with her nails done even.
They read the original review of the film b/f the screening and it said how she stole the picture from Joan.
Afterwards, there was a reception and I had a nice little chat with her.
She whispered to her grandson- but i could hear her- "see? i even have young fans!"
I told her I thought the review was right about her stealing the show...she said, " well, that is what they said back then and they are saying it again here tonight! Must be true!" in this really adorable innocent voice."
-----------------------------------------------------

haha,thatīs cute.and i definitely agree,she did steal the picture from joan,even though joan got the better part and played a character that was much more sympathetic than anitaīs kentucky.after all kentucky stole her best friendīs fiance.but anita did and played this in a way,that you still HAD to love her.sheīs simply adorable (you see i canīt even remember the name of the character joan played.i guess i should watch the film tonight )

---------------------------------------------------------
"...i love her art deco "camille"...i want that bed!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------

oh yes,i admired the interiour design.i think natasha rambova did it.the whole bedroom was amazing,the glass (??) front.the door with the art deco design above...and the windows...wow!!!i also loved nazimovaīs costumes.only her hair was a bit too......outrageous for my taste,especially in the death scene .

-emily bronte-

21-03-2005
a dim capacity for wings

ah! now the right people have found this thread
thanks for sharing,
gorgeous pictures everyone!

21-03-2005
Swim Upstream

thanks for all thes epics eveyone. compare & contrast these girls with the hollywood girls of today. how things have changed!

21-03-2005

somnumbule

so glad to meet a fellow silent film fanatic!
i am fortunate to live in hollywood and live in a building from 1921 very near to where the mack sennett studios were and where chaplin and gloria swanson made their very first pictures and am a member of the art deco society here so i regularly keep up with events and preservation of both films and buildings.
i recently attended a screening of a lost print of harold lloyd's last silent which they found a copy of and his whole family was there so nice...i sat in front of them and it made me tear up to see how proud they were...3 generations of his family!

lovekylie thanks for the garbo and tallu pics- i adore them both!
that pic of tallulah is one i don't remember and so different from her usual tough girl poses...very soft!

are you familiar with the story of mary miles minter's life in the "cast of killers" book re. w.d. taylor's murder? if not, read it...very gothic!
here she is( nee juliette o'reilly of louisiana):

21-03-2005
V.I.P.

I love silent film, but particularly German Expressionism. I'll contribute photos of a German great. :p Lil Dagover:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Berlin1930.jpg (74.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg caligari2.jpg (21.6 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg Dagover.jpg (5.2 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg p7093.jpg (25.7 KB, 3 views)

22-03-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchide
somnumbule

so glad to meet a fellow silent film fanatic!
i am fortunate to live in hollywood and live in a building from 1921 very near to where the mack sennett studios were and where chaplin and gloria swanson made their very first pictures and am a member of the art deco society here so i regularly keep up with events and preservation of both films and buildings.
i recently attended a screening of a lost print of harold lloyd's last silent which they found a copy of and his whole family was there so nice...i sat in front of them and it made me tear up to see how proud they were...3 generations of his family!
someone is sitting in front of her pc green with envy !i would love to see your house.it must be so exciting to see alll these places and not only read about them.here where i live silent film are buried under 76 years of collective oblivion so that most people donīt even know the german films and stars from that period.itīs a pity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchide
are you familiar with the story of mary miles minter's life in the "cast of killers" book re. w.d. taylor's murder? if not, read it...very gothic!
here she is( nee juliette o'reilly of louisiana):
no, i havenīt read the book.iīm familiar with the william d. taylor murder though.colleen moore wrote a lot about it in her autobiography.also about what happened with mary miles minter and mabel normand afterwards.i got the impression that colleen wasnīt very fond of MMM,i could be wrong though .i will definitely keep the book in mind.thanks for the suggestion!!!

jennifer,thanks for posting these beautiful pictures.you reminded me to post some pictures of asta nielsen.even though she was danish she made most of her films in germany.

nr. 1-3 asta nielsen
4 and 5 barbara la marr,"the girl who was too beautiful" (..to be behind the camera) and who died much too young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg astanielsen.jpg (23.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg astanielsen5.jpg (35.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg astanielsen1.jpg (29.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg barbaraLaMarr13.jpg (6.7 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg barbaralamarr.jpg (29.4 KB, 340 views)

-emily bronte-

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1920s, 2004, 2010, actresses, february, november