How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

22-03-2005
backstage pass

a little tribute to olive thomas,another actress who died much too young and under dubious circumstances.i would LOVE to see the documentary about her that came out on dvd only recently.the last time i had a look it was way too expensive for me.if i canīt find a cheaper offer i think iīll have to wait until christmas .
anway here are some pictures of her...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg olive-spitebride.jpg (23.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Olive-Postcard.jpg (14.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Olive-pk.jpg (55.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg olive-Autograph.jpg (45.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg olive-spitebride.jpg (23.4 KB, 2 views)

-emily bronte-

22-03-2005
backstage pass

some more:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg olive_thinking.jpg (62.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg olivethomas-b.jpg (108.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Olive-summerattire.jpg (63.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg olive-boy.jpg (13.9 KB, 6 views)

-emily bronte-

Last edited by somnambule; 22-03-2005 at 10:40 AM.

22-03-2005
Been things & seen places

thanks for those! i belong to the "new coven of olive thomas"fan site
for those of you who aren't familiar, i know not you sonumubule-hehe, she died so tragically so young- 21- and was newly married to jack pickford mary's brother.
she was a ziegfield girl and had a promising new film career ahead of her.

22-03-2005

oops- i made the above post b/f going back a page and seeing what you wrote!
thanks!
yes, mmm wasn't the most liked...but i am fascinated by her story. get the book...its a true crime book about our favorite era...mmm in it comes off as sort of a "baby Jane" character in life...way creepy...would make a good movie, her life.

as for you being in germany, my ultimate favorite star i adore all-time is Marlene
my heritage is german so maybe one day, i can come over and see all the places and meet you too!

regarding barbara lamarr, who died of drug overdose...i have a photo taken of her in her casket at the funeral and it freaks me out a bit.
when i went to her tomb in hollywood, she is very near to valentino, i could just imagine her in there in the same pose...yikes!
her nickname always cracked me up..."the too-beautiful girl"...heehee!

22-03-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somnambule
jennifer,thanks for posting these beautiful pictures.you reminded me to post some pictures of asta nielsen.even though she was danish she made most of her films in germany.
Beautiful photos yourself.

23-03-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchide
thanks for those! i belong to the "new coven of olive thomas"fan site
for those of you who aren't familiar, i know not you sonumubule-hehe, she died so tragically so young- 21- and was newly married to jack pickford mary's brother.
she was a ziegfield girl and had a promising new film career ahead of her.
iīm a member there too .not a good member i have to admit.i never posted there.i only "stole" the pics,read the messages and followed the links that are listed there .i still go there from time to time to read the messages.did you have the chance to watch loveīs prisoner ?

---------------------------------------------
"regarding barbara lamarr, who died of drug overdose...i have a photo taken of her in her casket at the funeral and it freaks me out a bit.
when i went to her tomb in hollywood, she is very near to valentino, i could just imagine her in there in the same pose...yikes!
her nickname always cracked me up..."the too-beautiful girl"...heehee!"
-------------------------------------------

i once saw a picture of marilyn monroe,taken,i think,when she was carried out of her house on a stretcher after her death.i wish i hadnīt seen it .

-----------------------------------------------
yes, mmm wasn't the most liked...but i am fascinated by her story. get the book...its a true crime book about our favorite era...mmm in it comes off as sort of a "baby Jane" character in life...way creepy...would make a good movie, her life.
------------------------------------------------

"baby jane" character sounds interesting to me .i loved the movie with bette davis btw.iīm somehow drawn to these kind of characters.i hope i can find a cheap used copy at amazon.

---------------------------------------
"as for you being in germany, my ultimate favorite star i adore all-time is Marlene
my heritage is german so maybe one day, i can come over and see all the places and meet you too!"
---------------------------------------

i like marlene a lot too.not as much as i used to,but she definitley is a fascinating actress/woman.which movie is your favourite?mine is the blue angel followed by morocco.
let me know when you come to germany one day .

thanks jennifer,iīm glad you liked them !

more pictures:
1 and 2 betty compson ,once more
3 florence vidor
4 geraldine farrar (she was an opera singer,but she also made 15 movies.i saw her in "carmen" and she was incredibly good even without her voice.her movie career was more or less over at the beginning of the 20īs but i thought iīd post her anyway)
5 helen kane,the original betty boop.she was a singer but also appeared in several movies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bettycompson1.jpg (66.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg bettycompson3h.jpg (58.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg florencevidor0.jpg (22.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg geraldineferrar.jpg (13.9 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg helenkane1.jpg (173.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg helenkane.jpg (36.6 KB, 6 views)

-emily bronte-

Last edited by somnambule; 23-03-2005 at 07:03 AM.

23-03-2005

betty compson was so gorgeous!
if they don't have it for cheap on amazon, let me know...may be i can find it at a 2nd hand shop for you

24-03-2005
backstage pass

thanks orchide for your offer,thatīs very nice of you !!iīve been to amazon.com meanwhile.the price of the cheapest offer is only 0,01 dollars.even combined with the shippiong costs itīs rather cheap .the reviews i read sounded very interesting.i think it will be a good read.

i like betty compson a lot too.she has a "special",extraordinary look imo (i canīt find a better description right now).

@ all : what are your favourite male actors from the silent era?
my absolute favourite is richard barthelmess.than john barrymore,wallace reid (he was incredibly handsome :p),ramon novarro.i like valentino too,even though i think that heīs terribly overrated,regarding his looks as well as regarding his acting abilities .

-emily bronte-

24-03-2005

well, aside from all you have named, i love a man who can make me laugh so i love harold lloyd

24-03-2005

and from what i have heard about mister gary cooper- woo hoo- from the escapades of clara bow i definitely am a big fan!
[img]http://silentgents.com/Cooper/Cooper21.jpg[/img]

24-03-2005

he was soooo beautiful *swoon* tallulah did say famously that she "came to hollywood so she could f*ck that gary cooper"-heehee- supposedly, she chased him around the dressing room too

25-03-2005
backstage pass

oh yes,clara and gary.the horse-comparison comes to my mind . he was very,very good-looking indeed.
i read about tallulahīs endeavour too.she obviously completed her mission,because she was bragging about it afterwards .
i admit that i donīt know anything about harold lloyd.only his name sounds familiar to me.are there any films that you would recommend and that are easily available?

i know this is the wrong thread but i just have to ...

1 and 2 richard barthelmess...i won the second pic,a postcard,at ebay and itīs now gracing my walls .
3 wallace reid
4 and 5 john barrymore,on the stage as hamlet during the teens i guess and a very cute picture,with his first daughter diana,during the 20īs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg richardbarthelmess-c.jpg (64.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg richbarthelmess-cardh.jpg (76.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg wallacereid-2.jpg (21.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg johnbarrymore-Londonhamlet.jpg (63.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Johnbarrymore-DeeDee.jpg (17.4 KB, 7 views)

-emily bronte-

Last edited by somnambule; 25-03-2005 at 07:35 AM.

25-03-2005
V.I.P.

Lillian Gish... there's going to be a showing of her films soon- I'm prepping!

25-03-2005
backstage pass

beautiful pictures,purplelucrezia.lillian gish seems so fragile yet you can always sense her inner strength.
do you know which films theyīll show?is it a festival?
iīve seen 3 of her silent films,broken blossoms,way down east and orphans of the storm.i loved her in all of them,especially in broken blossoms,one of the best performances iīve ever seen.i like her sister dorothy too.she wasnīt as ethereal as lillian but she had a beautiful,expressive face too.

-emily bronte-

26-03-2005

ahh lillian!
thanks for posting those...love her
she is another who i got to go to her cenntennial birthday celebration party/screening thingee a few years back! so nice...they had a speaker who knew her and he did a slide presentation and then they screened "romola" which was shot on location in italy and she wears the best costumes...sombody earlier in the thread has a pic of it...and then they had cake and brandy alexander cocktails.
my avatar on another forum is one of the young gish sisters!

re harold lloyd, he is so consistently good that i have never seen a dud film of his..."speedy" has great chase scenes that are real...i like his films where he does a sort of rich loafer character who is a bit conceited...he is sooooo funny and always gets the girl...i will post movie titles for you later on as i am unsure if ones i have seen on bigscreen are available otherwise.
for example, i went last august to paramount ranch, where they used to film silents and now they have a summer silent series called "silents under the stars" and one they showed in august was a cecil b. demille called "saturday night" had leatrice joy in it and it was amazing! i love this film. then i tried to locate it on dvd or video and it is nowhere
at a anniversary party at the egyptian theatre where they screened "cleopatra" the silent, a new biography on demille was being talked about and the author was there...i asked him about this film and he said he owns it and he loaned it for the ranch screening and you can't find it anywhere...poops!
so, i don't wanna recommend something you can't get a hold of.

Last edited by Orchide; 26-03-2005 at 05:22 AM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1920s, 2004, 2010, actresses, february, november