How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-08-2006
....ITMFA....

Liev de Maigret...this picture was taken in 1935. She only had two film roles, according to imdb.

(ebay)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Liev De Maigret 1935 China Seas (ebay).jpg (79.2 KB, 14 views)

31-08-2006
V.I.P.

I love the earrings!

01-09-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxury's Lap
I love Hurrell too! In the above Joan Bennett post, the two brunette ones (multi-strand pearl choker one and fur wrap one) were shot by Hurrell. I especially liked his work with Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, and Jean Harlow.
Some Hurrell links: hurrellphotos.com , http://imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1152 , http://imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1153 , http://imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1154 , http://imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1155 , and http://imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1156
(Oh, and http://www.joancrawfordbest.com/images.htm has huge galleries of Joan Crawford photos, including large sections of Hurrell-shot photos)
! cool, thank you for all the links luxury, I ordered hurrell's hollywood portraits, about 4 monthes ago and never received it, amazon.com kept delaying the book. . . but his work is so amazing, I'm going to give it another try, and hopefully they'll send it on schedule .!

....ITMFA....

Jeanette MacDonald...(I particularly like the sets in these photos)

(ebay)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeanette MacDonald (ebay)2.jpg (14.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Jeanette MacDonald (ebay)3.jpg (16.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Jeanette MacDonald (ebay).jpg (17.0 KB, 3 views)

16-10-2006
....ITMFA....

Kay Francis...

(ebay)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kay Francis (ebay).jpg (24.9 KB, 12 views)

16-10-2006
....ITMFA....

Alice White in the 1930 film "Sweet Mama"...

(ebay)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alice White in 1930 Sweet Mama (ebay).jpg (115.0 KB, 7 views)

16-10-2006
....ITMFA....

Constance Bennett in the 1934 film "The Affairs of Cellini"...

(ebay)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C Bennett 1934 The Affairs of Cellini (ebay).jpg (86.7 KB, 6 views)

16-10-2006
....ITMFA....

Myrna Loy in the 1932 movie "Emma"...

(ebay)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Loy 1932 movie Emma (ebay).jpg (63.9 KB, 12 views)

16-10-2006
....ITMFA....

I had saved this photo because I liked the piece of jewelry in her hair, but then I found she had a interesting story too....

Thelma Todd: One of the premiere comediannes of her day, she made 115 films during her short career, 1927-1935. She opened "Thelma Todd's Sidewalk Cafe" a nightclub/restaurant that catered to show business people. It also, unfortunately, attracted some shady underworld types as well, and there were rumors that they were trying to take over her club and use it as a gambling establishment in order to fleece the wealthy Hollywood crowd. On December 16, 1935, Thelma was found dead in her car, in her garage, in Los Angeles. Her death was ruled a suicide due to carbon monoxide poisoning. She was only 30 years old. At the time, as today, many felt that her death was actually a murder connected to the goings-on at her club, a theory that was lent credence by the fact that no one who knew her had ever seen her depressed or morose enough to the point of being worried about her committing suicide. Another factor that aroused suspicion was that her death was given a cursory investigation by the--at the time--notoriously corrupt Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office and the case was quickly and unceremoniously closed. Her death has remained a controversial one even to this day.

(ebay)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thelma Todd.jpg (17.8 KB, 11 views)

18-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxury's Lap
I had saved this photo because I liked the piece of jewelry in her hair, but then I found she had a interesting story too....

Thelma Todd: One of the premiere comediannes of her day, she made 115 films during her short career, 1927-1935. She opened "Thelma Todd's Sidewalk Cafe" a nightclub/restaurant that catered to show business people. It also, unfortunately, attracted some shady underworld types as well, and there were rumors that they were trying to take over her club and use it as a gambling establishment in order to fleece the wealthy Hollywood crowd. On December 16, 1935, Thelma was found dead in her car, in her garage, in Los Angeles. Her death was ruled a suicide due to carbon monoxide poisoning. She was only 30 years old. At the time, as today, many felt that her death was actually a murder connected to the goings-on at her club, a theory that was lent credence by the fact that no one who knew her had ever seen her depressed or morose enough to the point of being worried about her committing suicide. Another factor that aroused suspicion was that her death was given a cursory investigation by the--at the time--notoriously corrupt Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office and the case was quickly and unceremoniously closed. Her death has remained a controversial one even to this day.

(ebay)
It truly is an interesting and sad story - she was so young But what a beautiful pic! and all the other pics in this thread recently, they're so inspirational

V.I.P.

pic of beautiful carole lombard!
source - ebay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carolelombard05a.jpg (49.8 KB, 3 views)

....ITMFA....

Carole Lombard was fantastic...she also looked so 'art deco' in her B&W photos.

Some vintage postcards and tobacco cards of the lovely Ms Lombard...

(film.virtual-history.com)

07-11-2006
....ITMFA....

Marian Marsh....(from imdb) One of the early sound era's most attractive young leading ladies, doll-faced Marian Marsh enjoyed a short yet significant film career as the star of several memorable 1930s melodramas opposite some of the cinema's best, most charismatic lead actors.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marsh (film.virtual-history.com)2.jpg (44.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Marsh (film.virtual-history.com)3.jpg (38.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Marsh (film.virtual-history.com).jpg (35.2 KB, 3 views)

07-11-2006
....ITMFA....

Argentine actress Mona Maris (also starred in American, German, and Spanish movies).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maris (film.virtual-history.com).jpg (57.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Maris (film.virtual-history.com)2.jpg (69.0 KB, 1 views)

07-11-2006
....ITMFA....

Lilian Harvey....
(Born in UK to British mother and German father) After many roles in silent films, UFA found great use for her acting, dancing and language skills in many famous light operettas made with the advent of sound. These highly popular films (usually co-starring Willy Fritsch, with whom she became irrevocably associated in the public's mind as the romantic dream-team of the European cinema) were usually made in three different languages at once. The cast would be switched around her for the various takes in German, French and English. Her most successful film, 1931's "Der Kongress Tanzt"/"Le congres s'amuse"/"Congress Dances" led to a contract with 20th Century Fox. She dissolved this contract after a few pictures, returning to UFA to be with director Paul Martin, with whom she was romantically involved. The Nazi regime had come to power in her absence and Lilian Harvey found it difficult to work under Goebbels.

(text from imdb; photos from film.virtual-history.com)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1930s, actresses