How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-03-2009
trendsetter

^Yay!!

07-03-2009
backstage pass

that you thought of it.thanks so much lucy.i would have forgotten to honour her.anita page was probaly the last tesrtimony of our beloved twenties and leading actress insilent films...itīs sad somehow to know that the last connection is broken too .
2 small hommage pics from the thirtuies (psa 1933)
(psa32 and golden treasure album of the screen)

according to the mag she was an excellent swimmer and loved sports

-emily bronte-
07-03-2009
backstage pass

and ann harding once more...certainly not one of the best pics that were taken of her ,but since bad hair days and all that probably never bothered her,she is still beautiful even if the picture is a rather bad one.letīs just assume that the photographer was so smitten by her beauty that he didnīt know what he did....poor ann

-emily bronte-
08-03-2009
backstage pass

hehe gbart,got rid of the gum??
some more from lupe velez
picture show annnual 32

--------------------------------------------
bebe daniels-to me sheīs mostly known as a silent film star.i donīt know much about her carreer in the 30s
picture show annual 33

filmgoerīs annual 32

-------------------------------------------
picture show annual 36
margaret sulllavan an often unjustly overlooked actress from the 30s.she was wonderful in lubitschīs shop around the corner and played a lot of theatre too.she had many personal problemas and wasnīt always easy to work with.therefore the oblivion perhaps...

-------------------------------------
exquisite sophistication-evelyn brent

----------------------------------------
and of course no 30s thread without constance bennett

------------------------------------------------------
miriam hopkins
loved her in lubitschīs classic comedies :trouble in paradise and design for living...sheīs just confusedly charming there.
picture show annual 1933

-emily bronte-
08-03-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by somnambule View Post
hehe gbart,got rid of the gum??
Absolutely. The sheer comedy of some of these actresses is amazing. Just one look is all it takes.

backstage pass

i hope it suffices for some bubbles :p.

and now iīve reallly got to blame myself for forgetting one of my fav comediennes of the 30s ,whom i not only like for her films,but also admire for the courage of being different and never betraying herself....certainly not an easygoing,uncomplicated actress and woman eventhough on the screen she seemed like the perfect all-american girl,the perfect pal.in real life she was far away from the women she portrayed on the screen....and then of course her trademark that ...i donīt kbow how to call it...i-was-bitten-by-a-frog...or whatever kind of voice.she was frank capraīs fav actress and imo the real garbo regarding privacy-becuase she totally refused to be merchandised the way every other actress back then was.there are hardly ever pictures of her or postcards or other stuff.the funny thing is that i donīt even love her most famous films by capra so much.she was perfect in them,but capraīs american patriotism is sometimes just too much for me.perhaps iīm too european to get this.but i loved her in "only angels have wings" ,"the talk of the town" and a foreign affair".i donīt think that marlene outplayed her in the latter.on the contrary,jean arthurīs character was so full life and made a great development during the film too.marlene was too statuesque.being her own living monument again.1999 a remarkablee bio by john oller came out called:jean arhur (obviously)-the actress nobody knew.he had a hard time following her traces becuase she always seemed to walk on sand...hiding behind a thousand veils....and that even though she looked like the typical girl next door....ok enough words and some pics
sources:leading ladies,kinostars-engelmeier,jean arthur-john oller,picture dshow annual 1936

1939 with her dog pat

mr smith

mr deeds

a rare cheesecake photo of arthur,in a publicity pose for the devil and miss jones....it looks weird somehow to see her pin-up-ied, but whatīs also astonishing she was 40 years old when the picture was taken

going back in time....hope itīs ok.it only shows how much she changed over the years until she became the star jean arthur
"a foghorn!"arthur cried after the playback test of her voice test with paramount sound engineer.but her voice proved to be her greatest asset in talking pictures

-emily bronte-
11-03-2009
backstage pass

scattered 30s

notice:kayfrancis and olivia de havilland)

she wanted to be forgotten but she most deinitely shouldnīt be.she ws more than a clotheshorse,eben though she def knew how to wear them

another famous star from the end of the 20īs and beiginning 30s,the bubbly,round-eyed bettyboopish flapper type.she must have been quite a bitch on the set...at least so iīve read

-emily bronte-
30-03-2009
backstage pass

she wanted oblivion but who could forget her...
horoscope screen album

-emily bronte-
01-04-2009
backstage pass

^ I didn't know all those things about Jean Arthur! Thank you for sharing it and for the pictures as well

Mary Carlisle

Helen Twelvetrees

Ruth Chatterton

Tala Birell

Mary Brian

Constance Bennett

ebay

03-04-2009
backstage pass

ahh,ruth chatterton !!!you never cease to amaze me,lucy !!!
if youīre interested you might read this article on jean arthur.it was the one that made me aware that she was so much more interesting than i had thought.after reading the article i bought the bio by john oller...itīs really well researched and an ineresting read.
http://www.flapperjane.com/April%202004/Jeanarthur.htm

more jean arthur pics (ebay):

-emily bronte-

Last edited by somnambule; 03-04-2009 at 04:41 AM.
03-04-2009
backstage pass

30s potpourri (star portrait album ; horoscope screen album ;screen romances june 1934 ,scanned by me)
lupe velez:

ina claire

joan berry

margaret sullavan,
another actress who didnīt fit into the system and is unjustly forgotten now

colleen moore,
in the 30s.de-flappered and tinted in green (becuase of hope;becuase of sickness ??)

claudette colbert,
also sprouting

and back to pink

janet gaynor,
blushing all over the face

marian marsh

constance bennett

sylvia sidney

helen twelvetrees

lupe velez

helen chandler

claudette colbert,looking healthier

-emily bronte-

Last edited by somnambule; 03-04-2009 at 10:02 AM.
03-04-2009
backstage pass

Doesn't Joan Berry look a little like Drew Barrymore? Just a passing thought and it's gone. Anyway...here's a neat movie still from Madam Butterfly circa 1932...the always lovely Sylvia Sidneysylvia sidney madam butterfly 1932 movie still my scan.jpg Source: my movie still from "Madam Butterfly" - Paramount - #912/167 - 1932 - B. P. Schullberg Production - Directed by Marion Gering- Scanned by Me

04-04-2009
backstage pass

she looks absolutely beautiful even though i donīt understand why they wouldnīt allow an asian actress to play such a part.non-wasp actors were rare at that time but at least anna may wong had made it to stardom and could have played such parts.itīs the same with the good earth.louise rainer gave an incredible performance and i wouldnīt want to miss ist,but i still think they should have chosen anna may wong.she was a rare exception to the rule.and afro american actors for example were only allowed to play smaller parts,often as slaves or maids in southern dramas like gone with the wind or jezebel.merle oberon even had to hide her real indian origin .these are things that annoy me regarding old hollywood.

more horoscope revelations

mary astor

dorothy lee

ann harding

lily damita

nancy carroll

sidney fox

bebe daniels

genevieve tobin

elissa landi

barbara stanwyck,
in a very early stage of her carreer.how much she should change..if you just think of the woman in double indemnity

-emily bronte-
04-04-2009
front row

What a fantastic and inspiring thread! Thanks to everyone who has contributed such beautiful pictures!

04-04-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by somnambule View Post
if youīre interested you might read this article on jean arthur.it was the one that made me aware that she was so much more interesting than i had thought.after reading the article i bought the bio by john oller...itīs really well researched and an ineresting read.
http://www.flapperjane.com/April%202004/Jeanarthur.htm
Thank you so much for the link, it's true she seemed to be a very interesting person. And thanks again for the pictures. They are quite rare and I can't choose just one, because I love them all!

- Gail Patrick (who used to play bitchy roles in comedies like "My man Godfrey", "Stage door" and "My favorite wife"):

ebay

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1930s, actresses