How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-10-2005
backstage pass

Attached Images
File Type: jpg anndvorak-BlackGown.jpg (119.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg anndvorak-Glamgirl3.jpg (154.7 KB, 2 views)

-emily bronte-

23-10-2005
backstage pass

glad you like them,orchide .

the wonderful luise rainer (thinking of anna k here) .she is of german-jewish origin.she worked with the famous max reinhardt in vienna before emigrating to the US because of hitler.she gained the oscar for best actress in two consecutive years:the great ziegfeld 1936 and the good earth 1937.the first time i saw her was not in one of her movies but in a german talkshow on tv several years ago.at that time i hadn´t seen any of her films and not even hheard her name before,but i was immediately intriguied by her.she must have been well into her eighties yet she was still full of grace and dignitiy and she seemed to be a very intelligent woman too.now she´s 95 years old and as far as i know she still lives in the states.

sources:silverscreensirens.com,poster.de....first pic by hurrell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luise-rainer1.jpg (46.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg luiserainer.jpg (43.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg luise-rainer.jpg (36.4 KB, 5 views)

-emily bronte-

Last edited by somnambule; 23-10-2005 at 05:31 AM.
23-10-2005
far from home...

^ Those are lovely somnambule! Especially the first one of luise rainer

23-10-2005
Been things & seen places

I love Luise- what a great actress
I just made a hugeeeeee post and then it timed out and erased it
I will see if I have the stamina to type it all again right now

23-10-2005

Loretta Young- take two:p and this time I will "save" before hitting submit.
She actually started acting quite quite young-

and even had a small part in "The Sheik" with Valentino - and got an Oscar in the 40's and then had her own popular tv show in the 60's but I have to say I love the Loretta Young of the early 30's pre-codes

She is fantastic and gorgeous in "Midnight Mary"- also if you get the chance to see the dvd of "Rebecca"- they include auditions and Loretta's is on there- she is the only other contender aside from Joan Fontaine and her acting is so moving and good, you almost forget her impossible great looks and think she could play a mousy girl

Here is a trivia bio on her from IMDB for those who didn't know of her secret child she had with Clark Gable in the mid-30's :
Gretchen Young was born on January 6, 1913 in Salt Lake City, Utah. She was the daughter of Gladys Royal Young and John Earl Young. When she was around 4 her family minus her father moved to California and into the home of Gladys sister. Loretta's father moved to be with them. Later Gladys found him with the maid and told him to get out. His children never saw him alive again. The family moved to a boarding house that Gladys ran. Around that time also she and her cousin went to live with an actress the called Aunt Mazi and these girls who had lived a poor life lived the life of a movie star's daughters. After a year they both went back to their biological mothers. When Loretta was 10 her mother got married again to one of her boarders George Belzer and they had daughter Georgianna two years later. At the age of 14 Loretta answered the phone and the person at the other line who was looking for her sister Polly Ann hired her. Gretchen was under contract, had braces put on her teeth and had her name changed to Loretta. In 1930 Loretta got married to her costar Grant Withers. They eloped to Arizona were the legal age to get married was 16 Loretta was just 17. Less than a year later they got divorced. In 1935 she was considered to be a very successful actress when she made Call of the Wild with a King, Clark Gable. After one night they had made a baby. Because of the strick moralty clauses in their contract and the fact that Clark was married they could not tell anybody, except her mother, Gladys Royal Belzer. Mother and daughter went to Europe during Loretta's pregnancy and she delivered a healthy baby girl on November 6, 1935 in a house that nobody knew about, but family. Her daughter was brought up thinking that Loretta had adopted her, and did not know Clark Gable was her father until after she had had a child herself. In 1940 Loretta got married again to businessman Thomas Lewis. Even though now her daughter is called Judy Lewis, Tom never adopted her. Four years after they got married Loretta had Christopher Paul Lewis. About a year later Loretta had Peter Charles. Loretta continued to make movies until the early 1950's when she decided to go into television. She was very popular for about eight years and then the show went off the air. In 1960 she tried a new show with a new concept, but that did not work. By that time Loretta was a grandmother. Judy had gotten married about three years before and had a baby girl in 1959. Loretta and Tomm Lewis divorced in the early 1960's. Loretta enjoyed retirement. Sleeping late, visting her son Chris and daughter in law Linda. She had traveled alot. She and her friend Josie Wayne, John's first ex-wife, traveled to India and saw the Taj Mahal. In 1990 she became a great-grandmother when her granddaughter (Judy's daughter) had a boy. Loretta died in 2000 of ovarian cancer.

Spouse
Jean Louis (10 August 1993 - 20 April 1997) (his death)
Tom Lewis (31 July 1940 - 1969) (divorced) 2 children
Grant Withers (26 January 1930 - 1931) (divorced)

Mother of director Christopher Lewis.

Miss Young's return to the screen following convent school came about rather fortuitously. A casting call was sent out by the producers of "Naughty But Nice" for Polly Ann Young. Answering the telephone, the young Gretchen replied that her sister was unavailable and wondered if she herself might substitute. And so she did. It was merely a bit part, but it led to a movie contract and eventual stardom for Loretta Young.

Cast members in the 1939 film "The Story of Alexander Graham Bell" included not only Loretta Young but, portraying her character's sisters, her real-life, actress sisters as well: Polly Ann Young and Sally Blane. Further, portraying the fourth on-screen sister was a fourth real-life sister, Georgiana Young, although the latter was not a professional actress. (Years later, Georgiana, whom Loretta dubbed "Georgie," would appear occasionally on Loretta's TV show.)

In 1972, Miss Young sued NBC for violating her contract in allowing reruns of "The Loretta Young Show" to be shown, wherein audiences might have ridiculed her gowns and hairstyles, which were by then 10 or even 20 years out of date. The court awarded her more than a half-million dollars.

Had an illegitimate daughter by Clark Gable. For years this was covered up in Hollywood, and was presented as an adoption. The daughter's resemblance to both parents is uncanny.

Loretta Young's third husband was Academy Award winning clothing and costume designer, Jean Louis. He was well known for designing for the stars at Columbia Studios, Universal and in his own salon in Beverly Hills. His most famous creations included the strapless gown for Rita Hayworth in the film, "Gilda," as well as Marilyn Monroe's white sequined gown she wore to sing "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" to John F. Kennedy. Jean Louis married Loretta after the death of his first wife, Maggy, who was a personal friend of Loretta for over 50 years.

Loretta Young died at the home of her sister Georgiana Montalban and Georgiana's husband, actor Ricardo Montalban, early morning Saturday 12 August.

In her posthumously published autobiography, she admitted that her "adopted" daughter, Judy Lewis, was her biological daughter by Clark Gable.

Sister of Polly Ann Young and Sally Blane, half-sister of Georgiana Young, sister-in-law of Norman Foster, half-sister-in-law of Ricardo Montalban, mother of Judy Lewis.

Country singer Loretta Lynn was named after her.

In 1976 there was talk of a comeback role for Loretta, as Mother Cabrini in a biography of the first American to attain sainthood to be directed by Martin Scorsese. The project unfortunately never materialised.

Caused a buzz in 1999 when she appeared on the cover of 'Vanity Fair' looking a lot younger than her 86 years, "todays air brushing techniques can do wonders" was her explanation.

She is the mother of singer/songwriter Peter Lewis, a former member of the infamous 1960s rock band Moby Grape.

These next two pictures will amaze you They are Loretta in Vanity Fair Mag- both taken 70 years apart- the first in 1929 by Edward Steichen and the other in 1999 which was on the cover.
She is stunning

all pics from google images, IMDB, and lorettayoung.com

Last edited by Orchide; 23-10-2005 at 06:35 AM.
23-10-2005

These are beautiful of Loretta from the catacomb.net

^the last one is a repeat but bigger- imagine if you will this is pre-plastic surgery era- those are some amazing ta-tas :p

Last edited by Orchide; 23-10-2005 at 06:39 AM.
23-10-2005
far from home...

^ I had seen Clark Gable's biography so I knew he "knocked up" an actress, but I had completely forgotten that it was Loretta Young .
I really like the first pic you posted (in post 93), her eyes are enormous

23-10-2005
far from home...

Luise Rainer

source: http://members.fortunecity.com/johnr...r/rainer/s.htm

23-10-2005
far from home...

More (same source as above)...

23-10-2005

Dos, those are sooooo nice
She reminds me in some of Delores del Rio and in some of Meryl Streep in the eyes and cheekbones- such a great face and such talent
I found a shot of Loretta with her daughter Judy and then one of Judy grown up- she really does look a blend of Clark and Loretta- what a scandal
She is a psychotherapist now- got these off her site judy-lewis.com

google images.com

23-10-2005
far from home...

^ Wow , the resemblance...striking.

24-10-2005
backstage pass

orchide,a similar thing happended to me right at the moment.i lost my whole message ...so once more..
dosviolines,the pictures you posted are simply stunning,marvellous.i could look at them for hours.thanks so much !!!

orchide,i had no idea that loretta young and clark gable were having a daughter .in a silver screen magazine from february 1937 there´s a long article about her.they talked about her life at home with her mother and her sisters but they didn´t even mention the existence of a daughter,adopted or not adopted.i think i´ll never understand hollywood´s interpretation of "morals" .

some pics of olivia de havilland,joan fontaine´s sister.she became famous as hermia in 1935´s "a midsummer night´s dream" (source:classicmoviefavorites.com/dehavilland/)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oliviadehavilland.jpg (48.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg oliviadehavilland1.jpg (44.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg oliviadehav10.jpg (8.8 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg oliviadehav016.jpg (31.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg oliviadehavilland-midsummer.jpg (62.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg oliviadehavilland-alibiike.jpg (35.7 KB, 3 views)

-emily bronte-

Last edited by somnambule; 24-10-2005 at 10:21 AM.
24-10-2005
far from home...

^ Here are some images of Olivia de Havilland

source: http://216.150.78.130/headshop/Archive/10/olideh.htm

24-10-2005
....ITMFA....

I am loving all of the photos everyone posted! Thanks for including some bio. info Orchide - very interesting....

Here's two of Delores Del Rio (both found on eBay)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Del Rio2 (ebay).JPG (20.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Del Rio (ebay).JPG (30.2 KB, 2 views)

24-10-2005
V.I.P.

Blonde goddess Jean Harlow

(imdb)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jean Harlow circa 1930.jpg (13.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Jean Harlow circa 1931.jpg (18.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Jean Harlow circa 1933.jpg (17.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Jean Harlow circa 1933 a.jpg (22.9 KB, 10 views)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1930s, actresses