How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-08-2006
backstage pass

courtesy of getty-images

Last edited by danabnormal; 02-08-2006 at 01:21 AM.

05-08-2006
fashion icon

My god guys, i saw performance last night, best movie ever! Anita looks beautiful as ever!!!!!

backstage pass

aww, I envy you! do you own the video/dvd, songbirdsel? (I still can't get over the fact that amazon doesn't offer it - aaaahhh)

oh,and here's another lovely pic.
(source: charliesweb.com)

I really wonder how somebody who actually confuses anita with marianne faithfull can have a fanpage dedicated to the latter.... (and that's not even the only mistake,there are a couple)

?

I have a poster of Mick & Anita from Performance in my room..

backstage pass

source: www.medien.hamburg.de

with director volker schlöndorff + hans f. hallwachs

source: www.catholicboy.com

anita with william t. burroughs + jim carroll in '97

Last edited by danabnormal; 10-08-2006 at 02:32 AM.
10-08-2006
backstage pass

courtesy of brianjonesy.tripod.com

some pics of anita + marianne

*links expired*

(argh,too bad this picture's in such a horrible quality!)

Last edited by Estella*; 28-08-2006 at 01:17 PM.
10-08-2006
Deep Red Bells

Was that pic taken at Josua Tree?...
If so they were on mescaline and having a wonderful time!!

15-08-2006
windowshopping

courtesy of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anita_pallenberg/

15-08-2006
?

I love the whole Stones late 60's scene thing.. Everyone was so sexy! haha.
Anita's a fox. I'd love a good rummaging through her closet.

backstage pass

source: anita pallenberg-group at yahoo
(I can really recommend the group,there are tons of fantastic + rare pics!)

at the premiere of "performance" in 1970

windowshopping

those are great - the MSN group used to be a good source but stopped accepting new members for some reason. I think the more interesting period is in the mid to late seventies when all the debauchery started catching up. There's some new pics of anita during that time at Wire Image. I'd post em but not sure how to at the moment.

28-08-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilou
There's some new pics of anita during that time at Wire Image. I'd post em but not sure how to at the moment.
welcome!
well, posting pics in TFS forums is actually really simple - just type: [img] in front and: [/img] after the URL.

windowshopping

Anita Interviewed in 2001
It's been a bit quiet round hear lately so i thought i'd post an interview with Miss Anita.

I'M NOT just Keith's girl
The Evening Standard (London, England); 11/26/2001; Watson, Shane
Byline: SHANE WATSON

ANITA Pallenberg is everywhere. Open any magazine and there she is, looking out at you through that dirty blonde fringe, the tease with the fox-fur jacket (Dolce and Gabbana) and floppy hat pulled down over kohl-rimmed eyes (Marni). This winter the look that's emerged as the frontrunner is straight out of the German actress, model and Rolling Stone muse's late Sixties wardrobe: skinny cords, tasselled hipster belts, chunky fur jackets. She was the inspiration for Bella Freud's last winter collection, "And now I use her as a reference point all the time," says Freud. "I've included her in things I've done for Jaeger. I like the way she wears masculine clothes - that taking from the boys and giving to the girls."

What is more, Anita Style is going strong for 2002: Luella Bartley's spring collection is packed with the rock 'n' roll siren's signature looks.

"I guess the girls like it because it's really casual." Pallenberg grins her signature bad-girl grin, still intact though she's 55 and a grandmother. "I mean, in those days, I always thought the one who was really stylish was Bianca, she was so perfect with the white hat and the suit and the stick. I wasn't into designers at all. I'd go to Granny Takes a Trip, sit there, have a joint and pick something. So much of it was about getting ready, sitting around smoking."

Sitting in the Picasso Cafe on King's Road, "the only place that's still here from the old days", a pixie felt hat shielding her eyes from view, the sleeves of her tweed coat pulled down over her knuckles, Pallenberg seems an unlikely fashion icon.

But, then, it isn't the cut of her coat that fashion is so greedy to reference so much as the essence of Pallenberg, official high priestess of the rock 'n' roll fantasy. Once upon a time the hat with the mini with the boa was an accident, the sartorial result of what Pallenberg calls her "gipsy life.
We didn't have time to change, we'd stay up all night and go to Stonehenge at dawn. You'd be in your satin miniskirt out in the middle of nowhere."

HER voice is a low, exotic blend of soft German inflections and lazy Rolling Stones vowels, picked up during the years she spent with the band between the ages of 24 and 40, first as Brian Jones's girlfriend, then as Keith Richards's. It's pretty much all she has to show for them, besides the flat in Chelsea that Richards bought for her when they separated at the start of the Eighties. "Well, we travelled a lot and there was a lot of nicking in those days or 'swapping' as we called it," she grins. "Marianne [Faithfull] always accused me of nicking her Ossie Clark snakeskin jacket. She still does."

She's perplexed as to why she and Marianne continue to be singled out for attention: "The two things we had in common were the drugs and the blondehair thing, but then all the girls looked like that in those days."

Maybe it's because they were the ones who lived the rock 'n' roll life. Anita shrugs. She was happy to hitch her fate to the Rolling Stones' coattails. She claims to have never fulfilled her potential as an actress because she didn't have a manager, but presumably it was also because the band came first. "Yeah, Keith would say, 'What are they going to pay you?' and I'd say '[pound]20,000, whatever', and he'd say, 'Well, don't do it and I'll give you the money'. He'd buy me out basically," and she laughs.

Still, you can't help feeling that the Rolling Stones took the best of these girls and then left them to fend for themselves in the real world where there are no limos waiting at the kerb to pick you up when you fall.

Pallenberg seems vulnerable still: "Oh, I can't even go for a coffee on my own," she says, lighting another cigarette. She likes to play bass guitar "but the amplifier doesn't work now". When she told Keith that she had taken up the bass he said, "Why didn't you do it back then, you could have saved us all those problems with Bill Wyman?"

It's not something that could ever have happened, of course.

"Never," she wrinkles her nose, "it's a real macho band. Sometimes, when Marlon was a baby, we ended up Keith Richards and Anita Pallenberg in 1976 on stage, me with my baby, rocking him to sleep, and Mick would say, 'Get her out of here'. He didn't want anyone upstaging him."

WHO knows, maybe Jagger was thinking of Marlon's eardrums. But for the most part, like the rest of the world at the time, he saw Pallenberg as a bad influence. A foreigner who was more streetwise than the rest of them ("When I met her, Marianne was really straight, like a Laura Ashley girl") and something of a drugs connoisseur (she first caught Brian Jones's eye by going backstage with a joint in 1965).

The drug-taking got out of control.

When Pallenberg announced she was pregnant with Richards's child, Marlon, in 1969, it was 11 days after Brian Jones had been found dead in his swimming pool and less than a week since Faithfull had been rushed to hospital in a drug-induced coma. Seven years later Richards and Pallenberg were on the verge of meltdown after the death of their third child in infancy. They finally split at the start of the Eighties and in 1987 Pallenberg went into rehab.

Does she ever wish she had ended up with Keith (both Pallenberg and Faithfull are single and live alone)? "Only when I see other people, like the thing of having a soulmate."

Was he her soulmate? "Yeah, he was a friend first and then we became lovers. But he's too much into the lifestyle he's always lived. He goes to bed twice in a week. Not even to bed, to lie on the couch or whatever. But he is untoppable, I guess."

Lately, Pallenberg has been looking at lots of pictures of them in their untoppable days, researching a book about the making of the cult 1970 film, Performance, which she starred in with Mick Jagger. For her it's the less painful alternative to writing her autobiography. "The emotional process is so difficult, it's just not worth it. And then life is not finished anyway."
The question remains: would she have done it any differently?

"You know, you have your time; it's an experience, I guess." Her dark eyes glisten under the hat as the memories tip over into darkness: "Loads of good people lost their lives."

Suddenly she is overwhelmed and excuses herself to go to the bathroom. When she returns she has shrugged off the ghosts and recovered her pride in having been there and done it without compromise. "I kind of felt always at one with myself. That's why I wouldn't have cosmetic surgery or anything. It's me, you know." She pouts disdainfully. "Courtney Love, I don't like any more. She was tanned the last time I saw her, you know - the ultimate whitepallored creature."

She shakes her head in disbelief at the sell-out that is Courtney. "I feel sorry for the men now actually ... all these, like, aggressive women. There is no mystery," and she ducks further under her hat and takes out another cigarette.

The bits about Keith being her soulmate are beautiful

04-09-2006
backstage pass

^charminglyfrench, thank you so much for this post.it's a truly great interview.
(I only wonder why anita came up with,uh,courtney love towards the end)

?

that's an excellent interview. thanks for posting.. Anita seems a lot more sensitive than she sometimes appears.

Tags
anita, pallenberg