How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-05-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild roses View Post
So, was anyone lucky enough to go to the 1999 Museo Salvatore Ferragamo Audrey exhibit? I didn't find out about it until earlier this year. I'm kicking myself that I didn't know anything about it (not that I could have travelled to Italy anyway).

A catalogue accompanied the exhibit and it is well worth getting. It's called Audrey Hepburn: a Woman, the Style edited by Stephania Ricci. Unlike that atrocious Audrey Style book, this one doesn't talk down to the reader. Nor it is poorly written (Pamela Keogh Clarke is not worth sh** as a writer). Needless to say, it's about Audrey's style, but it also soughts to captures Audrey's graceful, unpretentious and caring personality as well as her quirks. Although it includes many quotes/essays by family and friends, one doesn't feel as if she's been put on a pedestal.

The only downside to the catalogue is that sooooo many of the pictures are thumbnailish size. Including the ones of her clothing/costumes/shoes/hats/coats/bags features in the exhibit. However, they are not the typical Audrey pics: it's less about the movie/fashion icon and more about the person.

Bob Willoughby has also released 2 photograph collection books on her, which also are supposed to be good.
Hi, Vanessa!!

I hadn't heard of that exhibit either! Now, I'll have to try to find the catalogue. I know what you mean about Keogh, too--I just buy her books about Audrey because they're about her. That catalogue sound much better!

26-05-2011
trendsetter

Hey Rachel!

I forgot to add that the book is out of print, and apparently has been for a few years. I found my copy from amazon.com's used market place.

After going through the book again, my only complaint remains that too many of the pictures are smallish. However, there is a variety and it is extensive in covering her life, style and personality--and the pics themselves are so memorable. (Even the way they are laid out throughout the book is quite distinctive: one can tell that the catalogue wasn't just thrown together. It's rather artsy and offbeat for an exhibit catalogue.)

28-05-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild roses View Post
Hey Rachel!

I forgot to add that the book is out of print, and apparently has been for a few years. I found my copy from amazon.com's used market place.

After going through the book again, my only complaint remains that too many of the pictures are smallish. However, there is a variety and it is extensive in covering her life, style and personality--and the pics themselves are so memorable. (Even the way they are laid out throughout the book is quite distinctive: one can tell that the catalogue wasn't just thrown together. It's rather artsy and offbeat for an exhibit catalogue.)
Oh, thanks for that info! Hopefully I can find one, Vanessa!

02-06-2011
V.I.P.

we need more audrey pics!

trendsetter

We do!

I'd love to see more pics from her last 2 decades especially.

03-06-2011
V.I.P.

OK, girls, here you are. Sorry for any re-posts, but I really can't go through two threads...

tlfan

03-06-2011
V.I.P.

tlfan

03-06-2011
V.I.P.

tlfan

Last edited by Dora; 03-06-2011 at 09:04 AM.
03-06-2011
V.I.P.

tlfan

03-06-2011
V.I.P.

tlfan

03-06-2011
backstage pass

Love These Pics!!

03-06-2011
windowshopping

Setting standards for class all over the world. I love it!

trendsetter

I looked in the previous thread and didn't see anything mentioned about this, so I thought I would add it here. In Sept 09, Sotheby's held an auction of clothing and memorbilia. (The estate didn't sell it--a friend did.) Half of the proceeds from the auction went to the Audrey Hepburn Children's Fund and UNICEF. Her are some pics.

The majority of the pieces are by Givenchy and were wore in her films.

If the Valentino lace and cream dress looks familiar, it's because it's the dress that Jackie Kennedy wore when she married Ari Onassis.

The wedding dress might not look familiar because Audrey never married or filmed a movie in it. She was supposed to marry James Hanson, but called off the wedding and gave the gown away.

Credit to guardian.co.uk for pics.

20-06-2011
backstage pass

THANKS for that info, Vanessa! LOVE seeing the black lace dress from How to Steal A Million!

21-06-2011
V.I.P.

tlfan

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, audrey, hepburn