How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-12-2005
windowshopping

Babe Paley
I hope this thread hasn't been started already. I searched and didn't find it. Babe Paley isn't really that well known but I've always admired her style.

"Babe Paley had only one flaw: she was perfect. Other than that, she was perfect", said Truman Capote about the woman he adored for almost 25 years. That quote seems to summarize everything that made people both worship and envy this remarkable individual.
Born Barbara Cushing in 19--, Babe - as she was known to friends and admirers - was the daughter of Henry Cushing, both a renowned neurosurgeon and Pulitzer Prize winning author. Though not of society, from an early age her mother encouraged and groomed her 3 daughters to marry wealthy men - something all managed to accomplish. Her other sisters chose an Astor and a Rockefeller; Babe's first husband was Stanley Mortimer, of the Standard Oil family. After a brief marriage and subsequent divorce, she fell in love with William S. Paley, chairman of CBS television in America. Though his family background and religion - he was one of the few Jews in a gentile upper class society - made him less of a social catch than her first husband, Mr. Paley embodied all of the qualities Babe found wonderful in a man: he was rich and powerful; kind and gracious; and worshipped her absolutely.
For most of the 50s, 60s and 70s, Babe remained a fixture at the top of the Best Dressed List. The fashion decisions she made - wearing pantsuits and allowing the gray in her hair to show - were copied by women all over America, and continue to influence the way we dress today. She could make fashion headlines just by walking out her front door. One day, in a hurry to leave her house, she wrapped a scarf around the handle of her purse. Spotted by photographers, the image was used by the nation's fashion magazines, and started a trend that took years to abate. Her immaculate quality and immense serenity were easily discerned through photos and articles, and earned her the appropriate nickname, "the beautiful darling". It was Babe Paley that popularized the trend of wearing junk dime store jewelry with Haute Couture. Her good friend Slim Keith referred to her style as "perfection in an era of casual convenience". Vogue called it "effortless chic achieved at great effort". (from http://www.divasthesite.com)

26-12-2005
windowshopping

A few pics...

11-01-2006
tfs star

lovely pics

love the capote quote

Last edited by Josephine; 11-01-2006 at 12:51 AM.
12-01-2006
backstage pass

I read a short biography on her and I think she's just fabulous.

06-03-2006
V.I.P.

Could someone post moore about her i find her very interesanting but cant find stuff about her.Please post moore pictures and articles!

24-04-2006
V.I.P.

I think its sad that this thread is neglected!I love Babe and will try to post some pictures!Here is Babe Paley on the cover of Vogue!credit:corbiss.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Babe Paley on Vogue!.jpg (50.5 KB, 35 views)

24-04-2006
V.I.P.

More from Vogue magazine!
credit:corbiss.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babe paley4.jpg (49.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg babe paley2.jpg (56.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg babe paley9.jpg (47.6 KB, 32 views)

24-04-2006
rising star

just like nearly every "socialite":emaciated,smoker,ugly.ugggh.merely interested on climbing the rungs.what a waste.

24-04-2006
tfs star

great vogue cover

25-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnbunn
just like nearly every "socialite":emaciated,smoker,ugly.ugggh.merely interested on climbing the rungs.what a waste.
I can never understand people like you,what gives you the right to call someone ugly?Its all in the matter of personal taste i think she was beautiful but even if i thought she wasnt i would never write a post like yours my mother raised me bettre than that!If you dont like her dont come to this thread because its for people who like her and her style!

25-04-2006
a dim capacity for wings

thanks for the pictures, emil! i really like the last one

25-04-2006
V.I.P.

Here are some more pictures for the people who care!
Credit:Corbiss.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babe paley5.jpg (26.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg babe paley8.jpg (32.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg babe paley16.jpg (31.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg babe paley14.jpg (18.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg babe paley13.jpg (37.6 KB, 13 views)

26-04-2006
V.I.P.

I'm starting to like her more and more.

V.I.P.

Babe with her husband Wiliam Paley!
Credit:corbiss.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babe paley18.jpg (31.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg babe paley23.jpg (32.3 KB, 9 views)

28-04-2006
fashion insider

Thanks for the thread..I didnt even know there was an Icons From The Past thread here..

But from what little Ive seen of her, I love her look: a classically clean, all-American look--American WASP in its finest! Love the Chanel-like look in that first pic..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
babe, paley