How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-11-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkGoddess View Post
I love Jane's style in Ciao! Manhattan. I was really surprised to hear that she hated Edie at the time, she speaks very fondly of her now.
I heard that too from I think one of director of Ciao saying Jane hated Edie because she'd get everyone's attention once she showed up in a room and Jane didn't like that. Also Edie couldn't care less whether she liked her or not. It's strange how Jane speaks of Edie now

17-11-2009
front row

Yeah I think she probably just felt a little jealous about being upstaged, she also thought she'd been replaced at the Factory and since Andy was the source of much of her fame it's understandable why she was hostile. Maybe she's changed her tune because she feels a little guilty now and realises how vulnerable Edie was in terms of her demise. She once said that she had no idea drugs would have killed Edie, since everybody else was doing them as well.

Jane with Edie

Book: Girl On Fire

17-11-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Yeah I think she probably just felt a little jealous about being upstaged, she also thought she'd been replaced at the Factory and since Andy was the source of much of her fame it's understandable why she was hostile. Maybe she's changed her tune because she feels a little guilty now and realises how vulnerable Edie was in terms of her demise. She once said that she had no idea drugs would have killed Edie, since everybody else was doing them as well.

Jane with Edie

Book: Girl On Fire
that's such an interesting photo, Edie smiling and looking like she had not a care in the world with Jane next to her looking quite serious and annoyed.

When I first heard of Edie, the title of girl of the year 1965 someone said it was actually Baby Jane Holzer but then that changed as soon as Edie showed up with Chuck Wein. I guess the things Jane says now about the Factory during the mid 60s is understandable and Chuck Wein as well. She said there were too many people on drugs and Andy being so taken with Edie more so than any other woman he'd met at the time left Jane more pushed to the side. Before Edie came to the Factory, her friend Chuck Wein orchestrated the meeting with Andy knowing Edie couldn't do it properly herself. Jane said Chuck had many bad vibes about him, 'too many drugs' to quote her. Its weird to believe that Jane didn't think Edie would have passed due to drugs because she said she was always stoned, maybe because Jane left the Factory during her time around the late 60s, she didn't witness the decay of Edie or her increasing addiction to drugs. The last thing I read about Jane regarding towards Edie was that she wished she was still around

Last edited by larien; 23-11-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Quoting photos
17-11-2009
front row

I know, it really sums up their situation doesn't it?

I also find it hard to believe Jane couldn't have predicted Edie's early death, seeing as how many people attested to her dangerous habits having made her a slow moving train wreck, even early on. I suppose Edie did give the impression of being able to take care of herself and rise above the madness in her life, and Jane probably wasn't close enough with Edie to know of the issues she was dealing with either.

Here is the article written by Jane about Edie:

Edie Sedgwick emotionally represents and has come to symbolize something that young people believe is missing from their lives today: the pure authenticity and personal freedom of the '60s. These were the legendary "silver '60s," embodied by the edgy New York underground experience. It's easy to see why young people today are drawn to her. After all, they feel deprived of certain freedoms--sexual, emotional, experiential--and they're haunted by all the dangers and threats that engulf their daily lives. The smart ones know and resent how everything is marketed to them until it all feels the same. They see a world where nothing is spontaneous or authentic, and they yearn for a time when things were "real." Edie incarnates all that--the paradise lost, the Camelot. It was a simpler time. It was fun. None of us knew that anyone would become so famous or die so young. We were just out having a good time. Crazy, right?

17-11-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
I know, it really sums up their situation doesn't it?

I also find it hard to believe Jane couldn't have predicted Edie's early death, seeing as how many people attested to her dangerous habits having made her a slow moving train wreck, even early on. I suppose Edie did give the impression of being able to take care of herself and rise above the madness in her life, and Jane probably wasn't close enough with Edie to know of the issues she was dealing with either.

Here is the article written by Jane about Edie:

Edie Sedgwick emotionally represents and has come to symbolize something that young people believe is missing from their lives today: the pure authenticity and personal freedom of the '60s. These were the legendary "silver '60s," embodied by the edgy New York underground experience. It's easy to see why young people today are drawn to her. After all, they feel deprived of certain freedoms--sexual, emotional, experiential--and they're haunted by all the dangers and threats that engulf their daily lives. The smart ones know and resent how everything is marketed to them until it all feels the same. They see a world where nothing is spontaneous or authentic, and they yearn for a time when things were "real." Edie incarnates all that--the paradise lost, the Camelot. It was a simpler time. It was fun. None of us knew that anyone would become so famous or die so young. We were just out having a good time. Crazy, right?
yea she probably avoided her personally because I believed Edie to be the type of person who would open up about her demons. Tell just a few about her childhood, her family and why she left and what she yearns for, whenever she wasn't that stoned. What Jane wrote there was absolutely truthful and beautiful.

04-02-2010
rising star

Quote:
I love Jane's style in Ciao! Manhattan. I was really surprised to hear that she hated Edie at the time, she speaks very fondly of her now.
jane has a fascinating face...she looks very classic hollywood...mamie, jane m...and a bit like sharon tate...whats her height? what's edie's?

11-02-2010
front row

Yes, I've seen a similarity to Sharon Tate as well. Did you know they actually hung out together? Jane said "Sharon Tate was adorable" and spoke of how they went out wearing matching men's suits. I prefer Edie's facial type because it was just so perfect, but Jane was definitely more striking. Very model-esque.

I don't know Jane's height and I've read Edie's was anywhere from 5'4 to 5'6, usually somewhere in the middle.

17-02-2010
rising star

any pics of them together? why is edie perfect to u? edie looked way different w/o makeup...got any make-up free photos of her?

17-02-2010
front row

Edie had the perfect face because her facial features fit very closely within the Golden Ratio of beauty - highly proportionate and symmetrical. That is why even though her natural beauty had a tendency to appear plain, she photographed well from every angle and in any style. How 'perfect' a face looks generally has most to do with whether we respond to them as attractive (Marilyn Monroe was another example), though there are certainly different degrees to this. I remember Diana Vreeland saying Edie was not a typical model because of this, and that hers was not a face you wanted a lot of makeup on. I agree with that, I think she was most beautiful in the 70's with long hair and lighter makeup:

Here is Edie without makeup:

No pics of Sharon and Baby Jane yet, I wish!

Last edited by PinkGoddess; 17-02-2010 at 10:39 PM.
12-11-2010
you soft and only

Vogue UK November 1964
Photographer: David Bailey

vogue.co.uk

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
baby, holzer, jane