How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

23-03-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyfan View Post
Oh, Ciel, thank you for directing me to that beautifully thought-out post once again! I knew there were a couple of better explanations of Brigitte's style through the years that blew my half-arsed improvisation away... but I was just much too lazy to go back through the archives to find them. Thank you for doing it for me.
Don't worry, both threads are soo long it's no wonder you missed this. And it was a pleasure for me doing it !

Quote:

Not a big fan of Brigitte's later boho/gypsy/sexy biker look, however. I never much cared for the style and BB's hair just looks so darn fried in that era-- she had probably been bleaching it for too long at that time. I honestly wish she had gone back to being a brunette at that time. But ah well... she could even pull those styles off better than anyone else. Look at how she's making a fuzzy sweater over a leather vest work in Lady Stardust's last photo.

That takes swagger indeed!
Yep, that's what I love about her late 60s style, so much swagger ! I agree her hair wasn't great, that's why it's styled with a bun in "The Bear And the Doll" (shot in 1969), because they were so dry and fuzzy. She stopped bleaching them in the 70s.

Now on to your screencaps, a massive thank you !! It's remarkable how you take the time to do all this, to analyze and make witty comments :p
I'm yet to see this film and I'm all the more eager to watch it !

It's true her partners were not necessarily handsome, and often much older than her at the beginning of her career. Ah the 1950s..
Though there were some who were attractive, in my opinion, like Henri Vidal, Alain Delon, Jacques Charrier, Marcello Mastroianni, Jean-Pierre Cassel, etc..(will post more pictures as soon as I'm back on my computer !)

As for the clothing, there was sometimes a stylist if the director had specific ideas on what the character should wear I guess, but otherwise she frequently brought her own clothes. Her characters' clothes were always true to her style anyway. I have pictures where she wears them both on and off set. Sadly not with this particular dress, which is gorgeous And I don't recall her wearing arm bands.

Last edited by CielDeLit; 23-03-2012 at 12:08 AM.

23-03-2012
backstage pass

Pictures to illustrate my point

Each time, the first picture is a candid and the second one is from a movie or a music video :

Skirt:
[IMG]http://i41.************/u/f41/11/11/02/14/fb-g_211.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.************/u/f41/11/11/02/14/42-27010.jpg[/IMG]

Sunglasses:
[IMG]http://i41.************/u/f41/11/11/02/14/fb_3_510.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.************/u/f41/11/11/02/14/fb5_4310.jpg[/IMG]

A skirt of hers she wore in two movies (Contempt and A Very Private Affair):
[IMG]http://i41.************/u/f41/11/11/02/14/fb_613.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i41.************/u/f41/11/11/02/14/1_1110.jpg[/IMG]

Dress
[IMG]http://i41.************/u/f41/11/11/02/14/51853010.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i41.************/u/f41/11/11/02/14/fb48_610.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.************/u/f41/11/11/02/14/10072110.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i41.************/u/f41/11/11/02/14/bg_710.jpg[/IMG]

fan-de-bb.forumpro.fr

26-03-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CielDeLit View Post
Now on to your screencaps, a massive thank you !! It's remarkable how you take the time to do all this, to analyze and make witty comments
I'm yet to see this film and I'm all the more eager to watch it !
Hahaha, I'm glad you enjoyed the caps and that I could pique your curiosity about Plucking the Daisy! It's on Amazon.com's streaming service in a serviceable English-dub so you can see it that way... otherwise, there might be... er... other ways to acquire the film online. And while the plot really is superbly silly-- and the men who continuously sexually harass BB's character are so freaking gross (), she is completely adorable in the film. I reccomend it only for her-- her Agnes is one of the most down-right likeable character's I've seen in BB's cinematography so far.

And thankfully, caps aren't so hard to do so long as you have a program like Screen Hunter, where you can instantly cap with the touch of a button as you watch a film. It's just cleaning up the caps afterward that's a pain in the tuckus!

Quote:
It's true her partners were not necessarily handsome, and often much older than her at the beginning of her career. Ah the 1950s..
Though there were some who were attractive, in my opinion, like Henri Vidal, Alain Delon, Jacques Charrier, Marcello Mastroianni, Jean-Pierre Cassel, etc..(will post more pictures as soon as I'm back on my computer !)
Ooh, I would love to see a time-line of all the men BB's been with, cinematically and otherwise! She seems to have favoured dark-haired men... and I do believe I read a quote of hers at some point saying she likes charm and "full lips" on her chosen masculine specimens.

My main problem is how SLIMY so many of the men around her on-screen (no idea how it shook up in IRL) often were portrayed as being. Seriously, I think Doctor at Sea is the only movie where I ever genuinely liked her love interest... they either range from not-so-inspiring (her Cletus-like yokelish husband in And God Created Woman) or just plain sleazy (her fellow in Plucking the Daisy.) But as you said... it was from an earlier era...

Quote:
As for the clothing, there was sometimes a stylist if the director had specific ideas on what the character should wear I guess, but otherwise she frequently brought her own clothes. Her characters' clothes were always true to her style anyway. I have pictures where she wears them both on and off set. Sadly not with this particular dress, which is gorgeous And I don't recall her wearing arm bands.
How interesting to know this about BB! I always figured she was either taking clothes from sets or bringing her own personal clothes to sets, since she repeats so many outfits in both candids and the screen... but it's a special treat to see how she did it long in life as well! Thank you for the fab pic-stream... it really illustrates the point fantastically!

And I also recognize the tired cupcake-of-a-dress in the third-to-last and fourth-to-last pictures as well... BB originally wore it for publicity shots and the shooting of her early movie The Bride is Much Too Beautiful! How amazing that she kept it later on in life as well, considering she first wore it in 1955!

26-03-2012
trendsetter

Which Movie's Screen-Caps Would You LIke Next?
Oh... and exciting news. Thanks to the AMAZING generosity of our own Fiammfiero (who I think we can agree is one of the best human beings alive ), I managed to get copies of practically EVERY ONE of BB's early movies! So I finally got ahold of such rare gems like School for Love, The Girl in the Bikini, The Bride is Much Too Beautiful, and (drum-roll please)...

La Lumiere d'en Face!!!

So I'll be screen-capping and posting up analysis of BB's outfits and fashion styles for all of these beauties eventually! But in the mean-time, please let me know which movie you'd like me to screen-cap first...

1) Doctor at Sea: a funny, gorgeous, light comedy with BB in color

OR OR OR

2) Naughty Girl:
a silly french sex-farce with BB in some adorable dancing costumes

Let me know and I'll have everything up by next, next week! (Sorry... spring break intervening mid-way. )

And by the way, here are a couple of other photos from Plucking the Daisy that I found online... I love the color-photos especially. You can really see how beautiful her dancing costume's bodice is in these photos-- as well as how... er... festive the colors are as well!

Sources: Bellazon Forum, Brigittebardot.canalblog.com,
mademoisellebardot.tumblr.com, fan-de-bb.forumpro.fr/forum

image hosting jpg

Last edited by funnyfan; 26-03-2012 at 10:33 AM.

26-03-2012
trendsetter

Last Set of Costumes from Plucking the Daisy
And finally, a few more misc photos and fashion from Plucking the Daisy. If anyone has more, please feel free to put them up!

Sources: Bellazon Forum, Brigittebardot.canalblog.com, mademoisellebardot.tumblr.com, fan-de-bb.forumpro.fr/forum

(By the way, though there are pictures, she weirdly never wore the filmy white gown covering her dancing corset in the movie. Who knows why?)

27-03-2012
backstage pass

Having seen "This Naughty Girl", I'll vote for "Doctor at Sea"

IMO her early films are really not that good, apart "La LumiŤre d'en Face" and a few funny ones. But she's damn cute

Quote:

Ooh, I would love to see a time-line of all the men BB's been with, cinematically and otherwise! She seems to have favoured dark-haired men... and I do believe I read a quote of hers at some point saying she likes charm and "full lips" on her chosen masculine specimens.
Good idea, I'll do it I was thinking about it recently, how most of her boyfriends didn't look handsome in my opinion...If I could be in that body, I'd certainly go for a bigger fish !

Quote:
How interesting to know this about BB! I always figured she was either taking clothes from sets or bringing her own personal clothes to sets, since she repeats so many outfits in both candids and the screen... but it's a special treat to see how she did it long in life as well! Thank you for the fab pic-stream... it really illustrates the point fantastically!

And I also recognize the tired cupcake-of-a-dress in the third-to-last and fourth-to-last pictures as well... BB originally wore it for publicity shots and the shooting of her early movie The Bride is Much Too Beautiful! How amazing that she kept it later on in life as well, considering she first wore it in 1955!
Yep, good eye !

29-03-2012
trendsetter

Hahaha, yes, BB had bad taste in men! Well, some of them were filthy rich, so I understand why she went for international play-boy types like Gunter Sachs. But Vadim looks like a cut-rate Lurch and some of her other fellows ain't much better. Maybe she chose them for their personality???

And just to keep the thread alive, a few random pics from Brigittebardot.canalblog.com I thought were adorable!

(BTW, it's not my site [I can't even speak French, for one] but if you're a BB fan, I highly recommend that you go visit this french blog. It was tons of adorable, rare pics of BB through her entire life! I found some very lovely pics of her there that I have yet to see on other forums or sites.)

--> LOVE THIS! Anyone know where this is from?

Last edited by funnyfan; 29-03-2012 at 08:05 PM.

01-04-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Hahaha, yes, BB had bad taste in men! Well, some of them were filthy rich, so I understand why she went for international play-boy types like Gunter Sachs. But Vadim looks like a cut-rate Lurch and some of her other fellows ain't much better. Maybe she chose them for their personality???
Vadim was her first true love, she was just 15 and she thought a guy so "handsome" would never notice her Granted she was not the bombshell yet but she was very pretty already !

Gunter Sachs was the only wealthy man she dated actually, and she was already very rich when she met him, money was the last thing she needed.

She mostly dated poorer guys, often younger, some of them took advantage of her fame and wealth..I assume she was tired of being in charge all the time. Gunter treated her like a princess, and for a while it seduced her. I mean, which girl would not like having her house showered with hundreds of roses ? But she hated luxury and his jet-set lifestyle, plus he was barely there and cheated on her, so the couple fell apart pretty quickly.

Maybe it's their personalities but it's not like she didn't pay attention to looks, it mattered to her. She found them attractive. So my conclusion is that she just has pretty weird tastes in men, in my humble opinion of course :p

The picture with the red dress is from a photoshoot I guess, don't know more about it

Bigger:
[IMG]http://i41.************/u/f41/11/11/02/14/fb_4110.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i41.************/u/f41/11/11/02/14/fb710.jpg[/IMG]
bellazon

02-04-2012
trendsetter

The last photoshoot was for english magazine Picture Post, published in March 1954 or 1956 depending on the sources. The second picture CielDeLit posted graced the cover so I tend to believe the magazine was published in 1956 after the success of Et Dieu Crťa la Femme.
And just because her boyfriends weren't the most handsome men doesn't mean she had bad taste, just that she wasn't shallow. :p

Last edited by Fantomette; 02-04-2012 at 04:48 PM.

02-04-2012
V.I.P.

ebay.com

02-04-2012
V.I.P.

ebay.com

02-04-2012
V.I.P.

ebay.com

03-04-2012
V.I.P.

ebay.com